Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

honda gx 50

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 02:45 PM
lauterbacher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda gx 50

Has anyone entertained any thoughts about this engine for a strip down and conversion. Baja Bob?
Old 08-21-2005, 11:08 PM
tango28charlie

Default RE: honda gx 50

Carr Precision told me that some have been converted for UAV's, but to me it looks too underpowered and heavy. If you try it and have any success, I'd be interested in your results!

Charlie
Old 08-22-2005, 01:29 PM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

http://arcturusuav.com/ click on the T-15 tab.

Mike
Old 08-24-2005, 12:09 PM
lauterbacher

When I get time I'll have to give them a call to see what kind of prop and rpm there getting along with weight of the engine.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:08 PM
lauterbacher

well they used a APC 20-12 and got 6,700 stock and with a few mods they up it to 7,000. He said that it came out at 1 1/2 pounds more than the gx 31. but said the power potential is way high because of the huge carb intake.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:10 PM
hollbrow

I am very familiar with the GXH50- I have two of them- one on a bicycle- and one on a stand-up style scooter. They are way way more powerful than the GX31- I have two of them also.
The GXH50 has about twice the real world, usable power that the GX31 has.
The GXH50's have very impressive torque- they will move me very strongly on both the scooter and the bicycle- I weigh 212 lbs and the both of the vehicles will go over 30 mph- the bicycle closer to 40-
measured with a GPS. There is a hill in front of my house- the GX31's will barely climb it- the GXH50's just power right up it.

The downside is that the GXH50 is quite a bit heavier than the GX31- and is built to be mounted from the bottom like a briggs and stratton engine. There is a lot of weight tied up in the casting of that
bottom mounting- it could be trimmed heavily for a good bit of weight savings but the flywheel is a big heavy unit also. As mentioned in another response, the GXH50 does have good intake passages that can accomodate a larger carburetor. Unlike the GX31, the passages in the 50cc are very generous to start with in my opinion.
I am using the delorto 16mm carbs like comes on the 50cc 4-stroke pit bikes. One concern I would have on a plane is I am not confident that the oiling of the GXH50 is quite up to the task if inverted for more than a second or two- otherwise, it should be fine.

I think it is worth a try if you have the sort of plane that could stand the engine being a little overweight in favor of the realistic sounds and scale-type power.
I do believe that you could get the weight reasonable if you completely broke it down to pieces and put in the time with the mill and a die grinder and just attacked everything in site.
HB
Old 08-24-2005, 08:47 PM
lauterbacher

what kind of clutch setup are you using.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:13 PM
hollbrow

I am using a custom machined clutch adapter that bolts to the four bolt pattern on the PTO side of the engine- and a three-shoe 77mm clutch rotor- you have to cut the crankshaft off to a stub and then key it to fit the clutch rotor. It works very well though- with the modification I did, you can then use any of the clutch housings like for the chain drive scooters- (go-ped GSR40). My gear reduction is a 9 tooth on the clutch housing to a 120 tooth on the rear hub of the bike- on the left side of the hub with a left handed freewheel of course. I can pedal, or use the engine, or both at once.
I'm using #25 chain.
Send me an e-mail address and I'll shoot you a picture of it.
[email protected]