Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Help with homelite 45

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 01:11 PM
JIMMYTHEEAGLE
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with homelite 45

I purchased this motor new with a new top flite p-51 arf. I have 3 DA engines with electronic ignitions and some experience running them but I have never mounted or run a conversion. I've read through a few other posts and have some questions answered but have a few more.
This motor has a couple of brackets bolted into the case. Can I just beam mount this and will I need to isolate the mount from the firewall?
Is the spark cable and spark plug(rcj67) shielded or am I going to potentially see some radio interference?
Can I hand start this by hand or do I need an electric starter to turn it over?
I run amsoil 50/1 in my other motors. Will this work for this motor?
Anything else I need to know?
Sorry for the lack of knowledge on this. I mastered my chain saw and weedwhacker a few years ago but all the work was done for me. Thanks for all the help, Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35530.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	355828  
Old 11-17-2005, 03:58 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Help with homelite 45

you can just use a regular engine mount on it. you dont have to isolate most here dont. RCJ67 is most likely a resistor plug so its good to use. you still take the same precautions you do with radio interference as you do with your DA engines. you should be able to hand start thought it would be much easier to hand start with Electronic ignition. running 50 to 1 amsoil will be perfect. i am planning on running my conversions with that after i run out of the 32 to 1 lawnboy stuff i have now.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:40 PM
tim220225
My Feedback: (4)

Most of the Gas engines out there are conversions of some form. DA is the exception that comes to mind, for singles anyway. I have done many of these and they all run well. I did a Poulan 42. I do all mine with electronic ignition. I use a Hangar 9 mount but the nylon mounts work too. Less weight also.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:57 AM
blackbaron
My Feedback: (92)

That looks like one of my conversions. The RC6J plug is a resistor plug. You will not need to shield the plug wire. Go to my forum on my website www.bcmaengines.com under my forums. I have a discussion there on avoiding interference. As for mounting this engine, It is designed for any rail type mount. The Hanger 9 Aluminum rail mounts are a good choice for this engine and I highly recommend them. Also Great Planes Giant Scale Adjustible Nylon Engine mount is also a good choice.

Old 11-23-2005, 02:42 AM
mikenlapaz

Definitions: discussion : "an extended communication (often interactive) dealing with some particular topic"
compared to comment: "remark: a statement that expresses a personal opinion or belief"

blackbaron :
What would be the purpose of 'metal duct tape on the firewall'?
Old 11-23-2005, 03:56 PM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Hi Mike,
Your question wasn't directed to me, but I thought I'd share some of my experiences anyway. It works as shielding to help isolate the engine compartment. We even us it in on the inside of CRT monitor cabinets to get them to pass radiation and interfernce tests.

Dave
Old 11-23-2005, 08:39 PM
blackbaron
My Feedback: (92)

Thank you Dave Wallace. That is exactly why I use it. Its also acts as a heat shield too.

Old 11-24-2005, 10:59 AM
mikenlapaz

Dave:
Is their any attempt to create a ground connection of this metal tape material back to the engine? Shielding on a plug wire normally gets grounded to the engine case. Same principle, I believe on the shielded plug caps (judging from the pictures)
Old 02-28-2006, 11:31 PM
ellas1
My Feedback: (2)

the plug you need is by champion RCJ6Y. this is a resistor type plug. i have many poulan and homelite engines. from 33 cc right up to 55 cc. all have this plug on them. hope this helps.
john.