Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: WHAT A DEAL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WHAT A DEAL

New leaf blowers at ~ome Depot ....with comercial double throw crank NOW $59 + Tax. Ya! I got one
    I never met a engine I did not like !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: WHAT A DEAL

Captain, What brand is the leaf blower.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Captain, how many cc?

Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

These ara Mac units. The trimmer is the popular 31cc Ryobi old style (rear carb and exhuast), not sure on the blower. For $59 it's a steal. Almost bought one last night!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It is a 25cc Mac......side carb and side exhaust. Real lightweight and simple to work on. I will run it in a couple of days. Lots of compression right out of box Some how I may end up with a electric blower and this engine will end up on a airplane!!!! Capt,n

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got one of these to examine it. It appears to be a Tiawanese copy of a Kioritz (Echo) with the mag mounted to the cylinder. Short shaft with the blower wheel mounted with a bolt. Lots of finning on the cylinder, no throttle, primer bulb and choke. Appears to be well built. I suspect these are the same engines available on one of the power skate board sites. California certified with a special tool required to adjust the mixture screws.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On the Mac Model 290 leaf blower...the one I bought...the idle & hi speed screws are covered by little plastic covers. I will start it up real soon. Mix says 40 -1 on it. Who knows, it may be light enough (after conversion) to use in some 1.2 size planes. Capt,n

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If the blower housing is cut off and CDI fabricated, these may have possibilities. It would be possible to mount the CDI pickup on the back of the crankshaft. Since the mag mounts on the cylinder and the fins are on the back of the flywheel, it would be simple to shave the flywheel and remove the fins. If these engines are a faithful copy of the Kioritz, they should have a lot of potential. It will be interesting to see what develops. I pulled the front cover to see if the mag has a grounding lug. There are two unused terminals on the coil so a kill switch can be installed.

I have checked out the blower, two tanks of gas. According to the manual, 7000 rpm operating and 2000 idle. Very little vibration and starts very easily. A very slow pull on the rope will start the engine so the mag fires at a low speed. The muffler is good for 79db
    and has a spark arrestor so there is a lot to be gained by changing the muffler. I don't know how it will be on a plane but for a 9 lb blower it is a nice unit. The recommended oil is synthetic at 40/1 and the manual states the exhaust port should be cleaned regularly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have dismantled this engine far enough to do an evaluation.

It appears to be well constructed and very similar to a Kioritz. Two ring domed piston and what appears to be a plated cylinder. The porting is very mild but the exhaust flange is generous. The intake port is large but the manifold is only 10mm bore, the intake manifold is designed to be easily bored to 15mm and matched to the port. The carburetor is 13mm bore. The rings also appear to have some type plating, maybe moly. Finning is generous, much more than Kioritz. Extensive heat shielding is provided for the intended use. Compression is impressive for a 25cc engine.

The question I have is will MTD service these engines with parts or will they consider it a 'throw away' engine. The cost of the entire blower is less than a cylinder and piston for an Echo. Since I have several Echo engines, I may check if the parts will interchange. The manual shows all blower parts but only the complete engine so I assume parts will not be available. Blower model-MB290, engine assembly P/N 753-05005. Call 1-800-345-8746 for authorized U.S. service dealer.

MTD LLC
    P.O. Box 361131
    Cleveland, OK 44136-0019

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been running my new Mac MB290. It sure does run good. The more I run it the beter she gets. It starts with a very slow pull. I have been heat cycling it. Start her up blow some snow....and let it cool off....and do the same all over again. What a smooth engine. Will post a photo here soon. AV8TOR...you should like this one!!!! Regards Capt,n

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

UPDATE: This Mac MB290 is the best running engine I have found/bought. I set the blower down when I got distracted (my husky dog got loose) anyway 1/2 hour later I got back to the blower...it was still on a very slow idle running perfect??? It was about 25 degrees and very cold out. Reved it up and blew the snow off the truck!!! Take Care Capt,n

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tear them down and post the pics!
    trying to tax into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle W. Churchill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Captin;
    It looks like we are the only ones to try out the MB290. I am an Echo fan and I think this engine is just as good for a fraction of the price. Thanks for the tip!
    I have been impressed by the quality of the Chinese engines I have dismantled and examined.
    I watched 'Motorcycles' on the History Channel yesterday and they told about the success of the Honda 50. It looks like the Chinese are intending to put the rest of the world on wheels with their 'Knock-Off' of the Honda 50.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

...can you post pictures of those engines???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Soon...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt56451.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	368366  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: flipflop

Soon...
    WHERRRRRE's the beef?!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This must be the photo he was going to use for his parts ad!
    Humm, wonder if that starter would fit a Zenoah 23?
    trying to tax into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle W. Churchill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok,Ok, just trying to see if I could get you guys stirred up. I tried posting pictures last night but they wouldn't upload for some reason. I started converting mine late Saturday afternoon and finished it up yesterday. First shot shows the motor out of the blower and stripped of the bolt on items. Second shot shows how it looks after a couple minutes work with the bandsaw and about an hour with the Moto-Tool. 1 pound 11 ounces now. Third shot shows it on the test stand almost ready to go, completely stock. This completely stock idea turned out to cause me a couple of hours extra work to build a motor mount adapter that would fit my test stand (had to space it out so that long arm for the throttle would fit) Last shot shows it running with a Bambula 16x8. Now it weighs 3lbs 13oz with the stock muffler, carb and air cleaner. Pumped the primer bulb a few times until I saw the gas lines full, full choke it popped after 3 flips, half choke it started on the 6th flip. I ran about 3/4 tank of gas through the motor in the blower, so it still has a lot of breaking in to do. It turned the Bambula 7050rpm, sounded happy, and had very good throttle response. This motor should respond well to an aftermarket muffler as the stock muffler has the tiniest outlet I've ever seen on a gas motor (looks like a cross section of about 3 of your thumbnails stacked toether) I did slot the needle valves so I could adjust the carb, easy to do with a cut-off tool with your moto-tool. It will be sometime next weekend before I get a chance to try it with a different carb and muffler, it's dark when I get home from work ya know.

Rats, pictures still won't upload, server keeps timing out. I'll try sending them one at a time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's 1

Name:	Bz78970.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	369091  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Two

Name:	Ec89008.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	369099  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

three

Name:	Ki20290.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	369102  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

four

Name:	Wu61664.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	369107  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just getting the bugs out of computer. I could post on RCU it seems ,but did not get feedback. Hope I got her now. Man that sure is a nice looking engine NOW!!!!!! May buy another. My blower really picks up RPM if you jam the blow nozzel deep in hard snow. Really sounds good. Your RPM on that size prop sounds good also. Thanks Capt,n

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I ran it some more today on a different muffler. A solid 7770rpm today. This is a Hatori heli muffler for the G-23 that I've had laying around for about 10 years. Large volume, a lot less restrictive, but still very quiet(wouldn't fit too well on most planes though). I knew this motor was going to respond to a muffler change, still on the stock carb and air filter. The stock carb is great for running on the test stand as you can put the throttle anywhere you want and it will hold that position. None of the B&B type mufflers that I have will bolt straight on, but anything designed for the G-23 can be made to fit with some moto-tool work (bolt hole spacing is a little less) I've got a heli header (that I've already modifed to fit) and V-Tech tuned muffler that should give a big boost in horsepower that I'm anxious to try after I get a little more run time on the motor.

Pics still won't upload, I've got to find out what the problem is.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

muffler

Name:	Nl29064.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	371861  

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast