Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

help!! my engine's busted

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 09:33 AM
ernest2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!! my engine's busted

hi!
almost a week ago, my engine died. i heard clanking sound and boom, it died. now i have the tools and opened it and this is what i found.
please tell me if this can be repaired. does it need only a new piston? asyou can see, the case have scratches also. what should i do?
thanks a lot for your help and comment.
ernest
by the way its a homelite 25cc from a blower.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77227.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	363075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86247.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	363076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50491.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	363077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32948.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	363078  
Old 12-01-2005, 09:46 AM
paulfox

Default RE: help!! my engine's busted

The great thing about conversions is that they are cheap. By the time you buy the parts to fix that engine you could get a new one with no ware and tear on it. I would be more concerned buy what caused this one to come apart so it does not happen with your next engine.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:13 AM
Turbobeaver

Ernest2,you may want to check your lower connecting rod bearing to see if it is still intact.This happened to me a while back also with one of my 25's when one of the needles in the lower connecting rod bearing decided to abandon ship and make a quick exit up along one of the boost ports and finally ended up getting wedged between the piston and cylinder wall.Yup......not a pretty sight to say the least.Kiss one Homelite 25 "au revoir".
Old 12-01-2005, 10:38 AM
ernest2

turbo, maybe thats the case, but i dont know. the connecting rod (if it is- connectin the piston to the shaft- is a bit loose) i dont know if thats normal or not. but maybe thats the reason why the piston hits the wall.
paulfox, that may be the case there in US but here, engines are pretty pricey. but im lucky on this as its on a super low sale
so do you think there's no hope for this one?
thanks!
Old 12-01-2005, 10:46 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say "No hope" sorry to say. The piston and cylinder are junk, and as mentioned, this engine may have bottom end damage as well. Better to go with a new or different engine as the parts are pricey, and for you, probably hard to get.

AV8TOR
Old 12-01-2005, 11:03 AM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

That small-sh spring in the first photo, do you know what it is from? We had a problem with one of our engines (before anything thinks that I am crazy for using the Royal "We", I mean several of us in our club that do alot of conversions, always great to have a community of nut cases ) when we converted the carb for use, we neglected to remove the ball and spring when we removed the choke butterfly. THis is inset along the choke axle, both the ball and the spring ended up being sucked into the piston and causing much the same damage that you have. This was on a 33cc homelite chainsaw motor. Just a thought.......you should feel priviliged, I only get one thought a day and I am sharing with you
Old 12-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Not all Homelites are created equal..I bought a new one to actually use in the yard on the weeds..
I filled the tank with 32-1 oil/gas mix and after about 5 minutes the engine quit...Took it apart and found the piston and cylinder destroyed...Some of the chrome plating on the cylinder wall flaked off and trashed it...warranty ? Not likely, Home Depot doesn't if the engine was taken apart, even though it was clearly the fault of Homelite's throw away engine policy....
Old 12-01-2005, 12:44 PM
dbryan

I have dismantled a number of Homelite trimmers that have failed. The most common point of failure is the lower rod bearing. When this goes, it usually takes out the piston and cylinder. One of the boat manufacturers offers a superior rod bearing, it would probably behove one to replace the bearing when converting a Homelite. They also offer welded crankshafts. There are better engines for conversion. The newer engines, from MTD, seem to be much better construction.

Ralph;
The Ryobi SS30 I got from the same source had a starting problem that was caused by loose cylinder bolts. So far the plating has held up. My suppliers inform me that no parts will be stocked for any MTD 2 cycle machines as they are not economical to repair.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:45 PM
rev

Old 12-02-2005, 12:01 AM
ernest2

ok, i'll let my engine rest in peace[&o]
actually, i checked the bearing, its intact, no loose needles. what probably is the cause? does a propeller not balanced properly caused this? but if so, why did it happen when it was running at low revs and i was just checking my new mounting. hmmmm. did inverting the engine caused this? because i run it at full throttle when it was upright with no problem.
prop nut, i dont think that is a spring, i think its parts of the cylinder wall that had been scraped when the piston chipped.
thankS!!!
Old 12-02-2005, 12:29 AM
dbryan

The dent in the transfer port looks like it was caused by something tubular. Have you checked the carb to see if something came loose?
Old 12-02-2005, 01:38 AM
ernest2

no i havent. but i did remove the ball on the throttle (ones that restrict movement) so did the one on the choke.
maybe something did came into the engine. i'll check it again later.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:16 PM
rev

Check to see if the screw that holds the throttle and ckoke plates came out.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:00 AM
Antique

What about the spring that was under the ball(s) you removed ?
Old 12-04-2005, 03:45 AM
Prop Nut

ORIGINAL: Antique

What about the spring that was under the ball(s) you removed ?
Now, thats what I told him to look for[&:]
Old 12-04-2005, 04:35 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCIGN1

Not all Homelites are created equal..I bought a new one to actually use in the yard on the weeds..
I filled the tank with 32-1 oil/gas mix and after about 5 minutes the engine quit...Took it apart and found the piston and cylinder destroyed...Some of the chrome plating on the cylinder wall flaked off and trashed it...warranty ? Not likely, Home Depot doesn't if the engine was taken apart, even though it was clearly the fault of Homelite's throw away engine policy....
I'd put that sucker back together and shine it up. Return it when they are really busy, or when they got a kid working at the return desk. Right now is the perfect time of the year. Most retailers are swamped with holiday shoppers.

Of course--this doesn't do you any good right now--as I'm sure this engine exploded on you last summer. Probably too late to return it now.

If you just bought it last week--and can still return it, then do this:

Buy a new one. Take it home and slip the old one in the box. Return it.

I been around the block when it comes to returning faulty items and getting hassled by the retailer.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-04-2005, 09:40 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RCIGN1

So I'm guessing it was 5 minutes of brand new engine running wide open?? anybody remember engine breakin procedures.?.and for warrantee most manf use an applied paint/dye to mark locations of set screws so they are not fiddled with by inexperienced hands..ie you take it apart they are no longer liable,,even the fuel flow screws on the carb...I bet more guys pay attention to their .40 size trainer engine than their brand new chain saw!!...Rog
Old 12-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Antique

It was brand new, and yes, running wide open per the instructions that came with it...It would have died anyway, you can't break in a bad plating job on the cylinder..
RC pilet, GREAT idea
Old 12-04-2005, 04:20 PM
dbryan

Ralph;
I think your owners manual contains a number to call for warranty service. Mine says not to return to place of purchase for warranty.
It also says proof of purchase is required. ie; no receipt, no warranty.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:06 AM
ernest2

if there are any spring in there, i didnt remove it. darn!!!
charge it to experience.
do you guys really think theres no hope for this engine? do you think the cylinder is still usable? because i could propbably find a piston here.
thnks!!
Old 12-05-2005, 01:10 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You did remove the spring although after the engine was destroyed. It's in the first picture. There's an imprint of it in the cylinder port.

I'm afraid there's nothing about the cylinder-piston - rod assembly that is any good on that engine.

The parts are so expensive and the engines so cheap in the USA, we just throw them away and start over.

It's best that you look for another engine.

Jim
Old 12-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: ernest2
do you guys really think theres no hope for this engine? do you think the cylinder is still usable? because i could propbably find a piston here.
thnks!!
I'm pretty sure that several people have already told you that the engine is trashed. What part of scored cylinder and chipped piston do you not get?

It's TRASH. Throw it away. It's not worth messing with. Buy a new one and start over.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:52 PM
ALW Phantom
My Feedback: (2)

I have to agree with everyone else, start over. If it was me I would head down to Home Depot and pick up a Ryobi CS-30 string trimmer. It has a Homelite 30cc twin ring engine in it. I just got the last one my local store had a week or so ago. They sell for 99.00 around here, well they did all season. Mine was actually the floor display model which was missing the string head and they took 20.00 off the price. And now that you have a fresh start do all the mods, from mild to wild, that are talked about here.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:34 PM
Prop Nut

Sure its worth keeping. As a downrigger weight........ok, I am not a fisherman, so I dont know if it would really work for that, but what about a counter balance for a barn door? You could run a rope through the open port and hand other weights to it. Oh, Yeah, and you could use it for catapult amunition for those pesky varmints, and and and, lots of stuff you could use it for. Other than powering your RC airplane with of course [&:]
Old 12-05-2005, 08:37 PM
ernest2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.