Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Stihl 041 AV

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stihl 041 AV

Hey Guru's;

Can anyone tell me how many CC'S a Stihl 041Av is. I was looking for a 40cc conversion and have two of these saw's laying around. Is this saw a 40cc or more like a 60cc. I went to Stihls web site but found no tech. data. Even a wb link to tech data would help me.

For those that are curious I am working on a Katana/Funtana sctratch build and reinforced for a gasser. So far I calculate the plane weight with radio gear at around 7 1/2 lbs. With a conversion and fuel tank and other misc. I hope to be just under 12lbs. Need a good strong motor for lots of pull out, but a 60cc would be over kill IMHO.

Thanks Folks
    Peter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Stihl 041 AV

your engine is a 67cc and will be way to heavy look at the 017 30cc, 018 32cc ,or the 021 35cc, 023 40cc, 025 45cc

Darin

sooo....was that a soft crash or a hard landing?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Darin you think the 041 would weigh more than 4 lbs ?. I have a variety of of conversions and from my experience weed wackers 30cc and under would be a disapointment.

Thanks for the info, it was exactly what I needed.

Peter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I tore apart a 041 stihl saw and found that the carb port and the exhaust port are on the same side of the cylinder and only about 3/4 of in. apart. I don't see how you would mount a carb and a exhaust system on it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Waco;

I,ll have to have another look at that, but obviously the saw works with that set up.............. but I'll look again.

Thanks Peter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

oops

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Place a exhaust header on it....then connect to tuned pipe....MABY!!!! Capt,n
    Imagination is far more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein.

http://www.lambertsrc.com/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I tore apart a 041 stihl saw and found that the carb port and the exhaust port are on the same side of the cylinder and only about 3/4 of in.
    I don’t see how a two-stroke engine can operate with exhaust and intake on the same side of the cylinder. Do you have a picture?

Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maybe the exhaust and intake runners are 3/4 inch apart on out side of cylinder....but enter the clyinder itself in differant positions around the cylinder. Does that make sense? I got to see one now!!!! Capt,n

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The exhaust port is controlled by the top of the piston and the intake is controlled by the bottom. Simple enough!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi guys this is my virginal post on here so go easy on me......dont suppose you get many limeys on here but just to throw in my penny's worth. I have converted this engine and it a pain in the neck for a start the fuel tank is integral therefore there is an awfull lot of hacksawing and grinding to do to get everthing off that is not wanted .....also where the chain oil pump is located throws up another problem....when it is removed there is now an open channel direct to the crankcase behind one of the end crankcase seals if this is not blocked off then the two stroke cycle ends up as one cycle and no way on earth will it run ....I managed to use car repair paste (fibreglass) or bodge as we call it and it did the trick but I don't know if it will stand the vibration of a running engine over a length of time, the flywheel magneto is integral too with good old contact breakers so it does hand start easily. The stock chainsaw exhaust could easily be reworked to provide a viable system for use in a model aircraft the other problem is "mounting" the damn thing the only usable fixings are the bolts that hold the crankcase together but they are a bit flimsey at about 1/4" #but they really are the only way of putting an ally plate on the back of the engine
    I converted this one to put in a ziroli P51 but there are too many if's and an's to risk it in such a bird so it is gathering dust at the mo if someone tells me how to upload pictures I do have a few of the said lump and yes the port configuration is wierd
    hope this has put people off using this saw as a conversion oh and BTW it swings a 22x10 prop @ 7100rpm not great for a 60+ cc (I had worked mine out at 63cc)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl30329.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	394930   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rm37311.jpg 
Views:	861 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	394931   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lq37062.jpg 
Views:	769 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	394932  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ps ....as you can see I did eventually work out how to upload pictures

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey....that sure is a differant kind of engine. Never did I ever see one before. You done a very good job getting her runing and the photos are great! I clicked on the enlagement symbol....and the photos are real big...still super clear. Nice Job. Capt,n

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks for the compliment capt'n J they were taken with a fujifilm 4900zoom @ 1600x 1200 and jpeg'd @ around 700kb so as not to take up too much space
    I just wish we could get engines as cheap as you guys can in the USA, big thumpers don't come cheap and the purists don't like conversions......alright if you can afford them but I enjoy converting what I can, especially strimmers (weedwackers to you) as they are so easy.
    Good forum this but so much to get through will take me weeks to read all these threads.....might just read what take my fancy
    Blightybloke

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

b Bloke: You can speed thins up a tad....try the searchat the top. Type in your vavorite subjects....or type in user name for all his postings. Kinda neat...to say the least. Good day to ya ...cheers! Capt,n

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the same 041 stihl chainsaw eng, ...where can i get the prop adaptor that you have on yours? I'm thinking of getting a Top Flite F4U Corsair Giant Kit 2.1-2.8,86.5" to put mine on.

[ http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHU95&P=0 ] link to the F4u Corsair.

Are you using the one you converted and how does it work so far....enough torque?? idle ok? want to sell it?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hiya JD24
    I thought this thread was dead and buried.....but in answer to your enquiries....Torque-dont know (I never mounted it)but it is a stihl....Idle- very good, Throttle responce- very good......Capacity-approx 3.75Cu ins
    Selling- I have thought about putting it on Ebay a number of times but have never got around to it......as to what it's worth , I really dont know but a lot cheaper than the "real" engines like Brison's and Zenoahs
    The prop adapter was a home brewed item turned down on a lathe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a STIHL chainsaw. The whole thing is casted together...could someone post pics of where to cut the metal off ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I slowly cut away with a 6 inch cutoff wheel on a hand held grinder, start working your way closer to the main part of he crankcase with the obvious ...it makes the rest go easier, when you get to within about 3/4 of a inch to the main case it would be a good idea to separate the case halfves to see how far to go before you break into the case. There are two places on the 041 that are hard to tell if it's ok to trim away, one of those places is on the back by a double layered part of the casting.... it seems like it would be ok to trim away there but it's not, it'll open up into the case. I tried to use a hacksaw at first , no way, 6 inch grinder makes quick work of it. It works so well you can afford to go very slowly with the trimming. With you have it taken apart as much as you can without cutting, start by cutting all the way around the case parallel with the crankshaft about 1 1/2 inches away from the round part of the case on the tank part of the case. It will just start falling away with the help of a screwdriver after you make four parallel cuts. hope this helps