Echo/Kioritz Coil Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 05:17 PM
Volture
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Echo/Kioritz Coil Question

Hi folks,
I just received an older Echo GT-200 BE trimmer to convert, with a Kioritz SRM-2000 (21.2 cc) engine. Its got two coils. One is in the shroud like a normal coil (with the iron poles near the flywheel magnets) and has two regular wires exiting (a red one to a second smaller coil, and a ground wire.) The second smaller coil, which is located outside of the shroud on the bottom of the case is the one that has the high-tension lead to the sparkplug. My question is how does this dual coil setup work, and is the position of the smaller coil relative to the flywheel critical? It seems so far away already that any magnetic trigger from the flywheel would be of very low strength.

Also, I've never tried the 2:1 gasoline/glow fuel mix (running a glowplug) that I've read some of you are doing. Thinking about trying that with this engine and ditching the flywheel and coils. Has this gas/glow mix really worked out OK as far as overall performance goes, i.e. not just good top end but also a good transition and reliable idle?

Thanks.

Old 02-16-2006, 06:12 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Echo/Kioritz Coil Question

The bigger Zenoah engines have a source coil then an ignition coil.

The source coil should be mounted the thickness of a business card from the flywheel.

I was looking for a Zenoah PDF manual on line but I guess Horizon has regressed to not wanting anyone to know anything about them?

It would have the wiring diagram in it.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 02-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

There is no diagram as such, the red wire from the source coil goes to the spark coil. The spark coil can go anywhere as long as it connects to the red wire and ground....
Old 02-17-2006, 11:45 AM
mikenlapaz

Thinking about trying that with this engine and ditching the flywheel and coils.
You may also save some time and bucks by using the stock carb and not having to purchase one with larger venturi. Check the thread for detail.