Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

*25cc Conversion & Plane Combo*

I've been looking at some of the 25cc Brillelli Engines and I have to say, it's a nice cheap way into gas. What are you guys running these engines in. I've seen mostly stick type planes but was curious if there are other planes being used and which ones. Lets see those pics.
    "It Ain't Lookin Good"
    http://www.evansvillercclub.net

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: *25cc Conversion & Plane Combo*

Are the core engines new or reconditioned?
    Representative of<br>
    GCBM R/C Enterprises

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have an Echo 23.6 in a Balsa USA Eindecker, just finished making all the parts and test running a 25cc Toro with CH Ignition and will be switching to that. Also finished a 21cc Echo on CH for my two boys' Seagull Models 60 size Edge. You can put these little brutes in about anything you want. By the time you are done you will find the cost of the motors to be a little less than glow. That is with the $100.00 for the ignition. Best of all a 12 ounce tank of gas lasts about 20 minutes or so. Try one and have fun.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

By the way the Brillelli 25 is the Toro 25. I bought 2 mufflers from Scott for mine and they are very nice quality. Great sound too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When I first got into this, I was bummed what my glow plane was costing me....

All numbers approximate, rounded off, etc.....

Big glow plane, 16 oz. per flight.
    Gallon Glow fuel = 128 oz. and about $16.00
    8 flights per gallon.... $2.00 per flight!!

BIGGER gas plane, 10 oz. per flight.
    Gallon gas w/oil = 128 oz. and $3.00 (with oil)
    13 flights per gallon = 23 cents a flight!!

Big difference.

Anything under 13 lbs. and with 1000 square inches of wing area or more will have great performance with that motor. Scale planes, (and scale performance), like a Cub (shudder) or similar could weigh more and still do ok.

AV8TOR
    If it is not SCARY, it is NO WHERE NEAR powerful enough!!
    All R/C planes have expiration dates---> It's just not printed on them anywhere!

Brand New NOT reconditioned.
    There is no replacement for displacement....you can allways throttle back!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I really like the Brillelli 25cc I just haven't found a plane I'd like to put it in yet. That's why I started this post to see what others are putting them in. I really don't like Cubs and about the only Stik plane I like is the JBB but I'm still looking so post the pics if you have them. The Brillelli 25cc sells for $155.00, do you guys think the extra $110.00 for the CH electronic ignition is worth it???
    "It Ain't Lookin Good"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There are lots of planes that can use a good 25cc engine. Like I said in the earlier post; anything with about 1000 square inches of wing or more, and preferably weighing less than 13 lbs.

"PHOENIX" my own design. 10 lbs. 1000 square inches wing, Homelite 25cc

Giant Scale Planes "KATANA 72". 12 lbs. 992 square inches wing, Echo/Kioritz 23.6cc

Hangar 9 "ULTRA LITE STICK 120". 11.5 lbs. (with smoke system) 1150? square inches wing, Homelite 30cc

Great Planes "FOKKER TRIPLANE". 10 lbs. 1312 square inches wing, Echo/Kioritz 23.6cc

All are very aerobatic.

AV8TOR

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj22902.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	425359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cy77318.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	425360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dj11722.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	425361   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pj18986.jpg 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	425362  
    All R/C planes have expiration dates---> It's just not printed on them anywhere!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am just getting into the conversion world but

looking at scratch B25 / A20 Havok for twin 25s ... got $40 blowers on clearance at wally's
    --looks like a real plane
    --plenty of wt to spare from bomber wings
    --A20 was tactical / strike bomb & night fighter, decent manuevering
    --modify wingtips a bit wider so wont put your eye out

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If for no other reason but weight. The Seagull Edge would not have worked with the Echo 21 on magneto ignition. The whole setup for CH including the unit battery and switch weighs about half what the stock ignition weighs. Some of the shorter nose planes need the weight of the standard ignition. There is no real performance benefit either way. Mine ran about 300 RPM more on CH.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Brillelli GT 25cc EI on CMP Spitfire MkII .
    Weight 12lbs.
    Prop is 17x10APC

Name:	Ec87500.jpg 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	425497  
    Kurt
    AMA# 794291
    Saito Club #121

\"There is a very fine line between \"hobby\" and \"mental illness.\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice, have you flown it yet?
    ORIGINAL: Sturtz

Brillelli GT 25cc EI on CMP Spitfire MkII .
    Weight 12lbs.
    Prop is 17x10APC
    "It Ain't Lookin Good"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not yet,,, been too windy here.
    Kurt
    AMA# 794291
    Saito Club #121

\"There is a very fine line between \"hobby\" and \"mental illness.\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

av8tor1977, How does the GSP Katana 72" fly with the 23.6 conversion engine? Is there any need to modify the firewall to get this engine to work? Can you bolt it straight to the firewall and have the proper distance to fit the cowl on? And how about the CG? was there a need to add a lot of tail weight do to the weight of the gas engine on the business end?

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

There are lots of planes that can use a good 25cc engine. Like I said in the earlier post; anything with about 1000 square inches of wing or more, and preferably weighing less than 13 lbs.

"PHOENIX" my own design. 10 lbs. 1000 square inches wing, Homelite 25cc

Giant Scale Planes "KATANA 72". 12 lbs. 992 square inches wing, Echo/Kioritz 23.6cc

Hangar 9 "ULTRA LITE STICK 120". 11.5 lbs. (with smoke system) 1150? square inches wing, Homelite 30cc

Great Planes "FOKKER TRIPLANE". 10 lbs. 1312 square inches wing, Echo/Kioritz 23.6cc

All are very aerobatic.

AV8TOR

"It Ain't Lookin Good"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm running the engine in the GSP Katana on gas/glow, and it's hopped up, but it sure flies the Katana great!! The engine fit completely under the cowl with only the carb velocity stack sticking through. I made a custom "Pitts" style muffler for it.

Info on "Gas/Glow" : http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_12...page_20/tm.htm

I made some aluminum angle mounts to mount the Kioritz 23.6cc. They look heavy, but I weighed them and they are two ounces less that the original mount that came with the plane. You could also just use some spacers to mount the engine forward far enough. I did not have to add any weight whatsoever to get the c.g. spot on. The plane is a little bit of a pain to work on through the small access hatch in the bottom. Some guys cut the top off and make it into a hatch like an Extra, but I didn't.

Some people bash this plane because it is not really light enough for good 3D work, but that doesn't bother me as I don't fly 3D. It does all normal aerobatics super great. Snap rolls are incredible, good knife edge, etc., and this engine pulls the airplane vertical until I give up and hammer head out. For me, it's one of those few airplanes that you just feel at home and comfortable with from the first flight. All in all, I love this plane, and this plane/engine combo.

AV8TOR

Name:	Om34269.jpg 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	427184   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez83604.jpg 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	427185   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kp35097.jpg 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	427186  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice looking pics. What do you mean by "Hopped Up"? I'm not familiar with the gas/glow setup. Do you think the Brillelli GT 25cc with EI would pull the plane better than marginal?
    ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

I'm running the engine in the GSP Katana on gas/glow, and it's hopped up, but it sure flies the Katana great!! The engine fit completely under the cowl with only the carb velocity stack sticking through. I made a custom "Pitts" style muffler for it.

Info on "Gas/Glow" : http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_12...page_20/tm.htm

I made some aluminum angle mounts to mount the Kioritz 23.6cc. They look heavy, but I weighed them and they are two ounces less that the original mount that came with the plane. You could also just use some spacers to mount the engine forward far enough. I did not have to add any weight whatsoever to get the c.g. spot on. The plane is a little bit of a pain to work on through the small access hatch in the bottom. Some guys cut the top off and make it into a hatch like an Extra, but I didn't.

Some people bash this plane because it is not really light enough for good 3D work, but that doesn't bother me as I don't fly 3D. It does all normal aerobatics super great. Snap rolls are incredible, good knife edge, etc., and this engine pulls the airplane vertical until I give up and hammer head out. For me, it's one of those few airplanes that you just feel at home and comfortable with from the first flight. All in all, I love this plane, and this plane/engine combo.

AV8TOR
    "It Ain't Lookin Good"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

From the numbers I've been seeing here about that engine, I think it would fly the Katana very well. I hopped up my Kioritz by porting, larger carb, more compression, etc., etc. It turns an APC 16 x 8 at over 9000 rpms.

AV8TOR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Zippi

I know we have talked before, but I thought others might like to see the CMP Giles-202 I am going to be installing the Brillelli 25gt engine into. I will be converting my 25GT to EI as soon as I can. That will remove another 9oz of weight off of a 3lb 7oz engine.

Name:	Vt57547.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	430392  
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's the one I'm looking at jstanton. You might mention that it only cost $160.00 from GlowRC. https://shop.glowrc.com/splashPage.hg
    You'll have yours together before mine so you can work all the bugs out before I get there.
    ORIGINAL: jstanton

Zippi

I know we have talked before, but I thought others might like to see the CMP Giles-202 I am going to be installing the Brillelli 25gt engine into. I will be converting my 25GT to EI as soon as I can. That will remove another 9oz of weight off of a 3lb 7oz engine.

"It Ain't Lookin Good"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Zippi

I got mine from ak-models, but he is out of stock also. I hope you can get one when you are ready for it. I'll post a my building in the arf forum on this plane. I am really excited about putting this one in the air with a Brillelli 26gt in it. I bit it will go straight up and out ot sight. Giant scale airplanes has them in stock right now, but they are $169.99. That is the price I paid from AK-Models.

http://www.giantscaleplanes.com/Giles202_72.html
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i was curious how the finish is on the 202 i bought the yak 54 its really nice but light on instructions how is the giles ,
    it may be next .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flyjoe540

The finish is subperb! I have heard the decals will start to come off if you don't seal them before flying. It is the perfect size for on of the 25 or 26cc engines. What size engine do you have on your Yak-54?

Thanks
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

jstanton, is the engine box totally flat where the engine mounts? Will the 25GT mount on the engine box without the addition of another mount or will you need to use some sort of stand-off mount? Post some pics of this when ever you get to that points. What dimension does the manual give from the engine box to the back plate? Will the 25GT work in that space and be able to mount the cowl normally or do you think you may have to modifly it some?
    ORIGINAL: jstanton

Flyjoe540

The finish is subperb! I have heard the decals will start to come off if you don't seal them before flying. It is the perfect size for on of the 25 or 26cc engines. What size engine do you have on your Yak-54?

Thanks
    "It Ain't Lookin Good"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Zippi

The Brillelli 25GT engine will fit the engine box on the fuselage very easily. I will take some photo's on if tonight and post them so you can see. I'll also get the measurements of the engine box. This plane is built very lite and was designed for a 120 to 150 two stroke glow that weighs only 2lbs. The Brillelli 25gt w/ei will weigh about 3lbs and vibrate a little more. That is why I am thinking about beefing up the firewall on the engine box with lite plywood.

Thanks
    Jim Stanton
    Millington, TN 38053

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

jstanton
    I am currently onverting a 31cc ryobi hybrid type(twin ring quad port) with ch electronic ignition I bought two engines at harbor freight while they were on sale .Ihave one running converted 31 the other is for tinkering,at the moment I am building my sons trainer so I have to finish that before I complete my airplane. how are the instructions on your giles on my yak all I got is one sheet and its not that clear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast