Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

Source of Briggs 34cc Four Stroke for Conversion

Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Source of Briggs 34cc Four Stroke for Conversion

Old 04-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Source of Briggs 34cc Four Stroke for Conversion

Ok Richie, Didn't know how familiar you were with mag engines ect but looking at your other posts you probably have more experience than me... I am not aware of a service manual on the net for these motors. I read a post by this guy who worked at Briggs. Spychalla Aircraft is his RCU name and was active yesterday. His homepage is, http://www.spychallaaircraft.com/ If you get any info from him let us know. I need a new ring for my 35cc and from what I can tell you have to buy a new motor to get the ring!
Tp
Old 04-09-2008, 02:17 PM
RichieN
My Feedback: (5)

Did you try to contact Frank Bowman about the ring? I don't have his contact information handy, but if you search for it you will find it on the RCU. I've bought the rings from him before, great person to deal with.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:44 PM
RichieN
My Feedback: (5)

I open my other Briggs I have to check the timing for the reference. Looks like the timing mark on the camshaft must be "touching" crankshaft when the piston is at TDC. I was able to remove the camshaft and correct the timing but there is damage to it, some threads are compromised and the timing has jumped again when I was rotating engine by hand. Unfortunately, according to the parts listing, camshaft and couple other parts are not serviceable on these engines, I was not able find any replacement part for the camshaft, other than a short block.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Tom in Cincy
My Feedback: (16)

WOW. Well thats no good. Briggs has really dropped the ball on this motor. Mine locked up on me after 20 minutes or so or operation. It had plenty of oil in it and the only thing I could figure was the engine was fitted way too tight. I cleaned out all the galled up aluminum and re-honed the gouge in the cylinder wall. I broke one of the rings getting it off the piston. The compression is down but the rpm is still about 5500 on a 20-8 APC. And Oh yeah the fit on the motor is better. Looks like more junk from a company that use to make a quality product.