Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Engine fin trimming

Old 08-17-2006, 08:03 AM
chris6414
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine fin trimming

I'm sure it was discussed somewhere but the search isn't working for me. I have a 21 CC Sears/Poulan weedy motor that I really want to lighten up as far as possible. I have seen some Homeys with Fins trimmed down to a few MM and was told they Run great and don't over heat with that big prop in front of them. Was juts wondering how far some have gone to make their Motors as light as possible. I'm already shedding the mag, coil and plug to save a pound and want to lose some of that fin material. For the project I'm working on every ounce will help. I just don't want to take too much off. Thanks
Old 08-17-2006, 09:49 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine fin trimming

i wouldnt think that you would be lightening it really all that much farther with removing the fins. the material is light as it is. i doubt you would remove more than 5 -6 oz of weight.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:10 AM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Gysgt,
The fins are thicker and wider spaced on a Weedeater. You could trim the fins to a more tappered shape and loose as much as you would by cutting them down. You could even do this with a lath. If you installed a glow carb, you could save over three onces. A light weight muffler will help. I filed down the top fin on my 18cc and removed all of the extra material from the case.

Dave
Old 08-17-2006, 01:03 PM
chris6414
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did some trimming at lunch today and sure enough, after the plug, flywheel, coil and extra material from the case, that bugger seemed to drop 1/2 its weight or more. I'll have to dress it up some more. What kind of adapter do you use to adapt a glow carb to the throat of the weedy? That Walbro sure is heavy
Old 08-17-2006, 02:27 PM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Captainjohn used the stock manifold on his Homelite 25 glow. He opened the hole up with a dremel sanding drum to fit a ST carb. A 120 size carb would work great, drill and tap the manifold for set screws or use JB Weld to secure it. Pick a carb up at a swap meet or off Ebay cheap.

Dave