Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Converting Glow to Ignition???

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 07:55 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Converting Glow to Ignition???

ORIGINAL: mpascual

Interesting thread, but SAITO (both FG36 and 20 GAS engines) have the connecting rod without needle bearings, The FG 36, does not have plain bronze bushing on connecting rod at piston side. Directly the aluminium with only one oil hole, and bronze bushing on crankshaft side. No wear on con-rod at 20:1 oil (break-in) or 33:1 (after break-in).
I'm testing a 140 glow engine converted to ignition, running petrol, and also no wear on bushings at 5% oil (motul 800) after 8 liters (maybe 2 gal. ?) . Performs awesome, starts at first-second flip, idle is low and steady, ...... The major problem was the muffler pressure tap, and melted tygon tube, until i replace by neoprene tube.
I've tested a perry gas pump, but at lower pressure level it pumps too much fuel. Also i've made some minors changes to the engine in order to lower compression ratio, needles adjust , enlarge the oil holes on connecting rod, etc.

Regards
What 1.40 glow engine are testing right now? Can you give us more details? Thanks Capt,n
Old 11-15-2008, 11:03 PM
andrew66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey does anyone have any basic settings for a glow carb on gas? mfg suggests high needle 3 turns, and low needle pre set. should i maybe "cut the settings in half" as a starting point. its for a super tigre GS 40.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:18 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: andrew66

hey does anyone have any basic settings for a glow carb on gas? mfg suggests high needle 3 turns, and low needle pre set. should i maybe "cut the settings in half" as a starting point. its for a super tigre GS 40.
Yes, half should be a reasonable starting point.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:02 PM
mpascual
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Interesting thread, but SAITO (both FG36 and 20 GAS engines) have the connecting rod without needle bearings, The FG 36, does not have plain bronze bushing on connecting rod at piston side. Directly the aluminium with only one oil hole, and bronze bushing on crankshaft side. No wear on con-rod at 20:1 oil (break-in) or 33:1 (after break-in).
I'm testing a 140 glow engine converted to ignition, running petrol, and also no wear on bushings at 5% oil (motul 800) after 8 liters (maybe 2 gal. ?) . Performs awesome, starts at first-second flip, idle is low and steady, ...... The major problem was the muffler pressure tap, and melted tygon tube, until i replace by neoprene tube.
I've tested a perry gas pump, but at lower pressure level it pumps too much fuel. Also i've made some minors changes to the engine in order to lower compression ratio, needles adjust , enlarge the oil holes on connecting rod, etc.

Regards
What 1.40 glow engine are testing right now? Can you give us more details? Thanks Capt,n
Have you read your p.m. ?

Regards
Old 11-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Exporter

Captinjohn,
Your idea of using crankcase pressure OR pressure off the exhaust to pressurize the fuel tank thus shoving fuel to the carb falls in line with several other duration fliers I have talked to. SO IT MUST BE GOOD.
I am told the if I tap the crankcase for pressurizing the tank I need a ONE-WAY valve in-line. 'Cause for half the time there will be a sucking action. Half the time there is positive pressure. So a one-way valve is better.
I think I have setteled on a Saito 56 four stroke for this duration flight. I have to run for 5 hours and 15 minutes if there is no tailwind. It is 260 miles, I'll have to average about 52 MPH. I have not done any duration tests yet on the Saito 56 ....but I am told that this Saito 56 needs just about 42 ounces of gasoline/oil fuel to run for 5 hours ....thats 8.4 ounces per hour. A lot more than Maynard Hill burned in that Transatlantic flight.

I have a carb from an OS MAX 15 so will start with that.

You asked WHY I was interested in the Walboro carb. I know absolutely zero about the Walboro carb. I asked because a poster said he used them.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:42 PM
captinjohn

With a hopper tank you should be able to run the engine at your determined RPM quite constant on with a fairly lean mixture. Do not worry about having the best throttle up from idle. I would say have the low end set kinda lean too. Since you are going to run the engine at a fairly high RPM...the idle is not to important, in theory. Do some testing, and let us know how she goes. Thanks Capt,n
Old 11-17-2008, 10:31 AM
andrew66

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

ORIGINAL: andrew66

Yes, half should be a reasonable starting point.
thanks, i will have to try that. i wonder if -5 C is too cold to run these engines. gas burns hotter, so hopefully i can get it going.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:08 AM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Regards
Have you read your p.m. ?

Regards
I started to read the PM and then My Grandson and his friend came over. We worked on airplanes all day!!! I will go read the PM now. Thanks Capt,n john
Old 11-18-2008, 10:27 AM
captinjohn

I read the PM and looked at the photos. I am real impressed. When are we going to break the news to the many engine lovers/users on RCU? I have some of the photos in my computer already. Thanks Very Much Capt,n P.S. Got any more Photos?
Old 12-27-2008, 02:32 PM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please help I need to find a c@h prop drive with magnet for a homlite 30cc weedeater engine. Does anyone know where to find one. Ernie