Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Lathe for conversions

Old 12-07-2006, 01:06 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lathe for conversions

I see what you mean. Yes, disengaging the intermediate gear will work just fine. That's what I have in mind too, except I would like to have a third postion to engage a secondary gear which reverses the feedscrew direction. Many 9x20 owners have done exactly this. Here is one example:

http://www.bedair.org/Tumble/Tumble.html

Also, I was a bit confused with your terminology. Typically, I see "crossfeed" refers to the motion of the cutting bit as it travels "across" or perpendicular to the axis of rotation. The motion of the bit traveling "along" or parallel the axis of rotation is usually called "Longitudinal" feed.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:56 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Volfy: Thanks for pointing out my wrong terminology. I did mean Longitudinal feed...like from head-stock to tail-stock. Best Regards Capt,n
Old 12-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Mr. Mugen

Hey guys I just got my machines set up on their stands. Here's a couple of pics of them. I plan to make some custom parts and whole cars.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14436.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	573253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20962.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	573254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19697.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	573255  
Old 12-07-2006, 12:56 PM
captinjohn

Mr. Mugen: Welcome to the Lathes for engine conversions Thread. That sure is nice Jet Lathe you got there. Sure like the mill set-up too! I see you are from Upper Michigan. I have a Grandson going to collage in Marquette. Hope to get up there when they have the Dog Sled race this winter. Click on my user name...and see "little miss mischief" Take Care Capt,n
Old 12-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Volfy

Mr Mugen, very nice machines! Jet is the Cadillac of imports... or should I say Lexus of imports. They used to be all made in Taiwan, and may still be. They, like many Taiwanese manufacturers, have been setting up factories in China, but quality control should still be a cut above the rest. Did you notice if your tools say where they were made?

I just got all mine raised up on stands and tables, too. Boy, that 2-ton cherry picker sure made the one-man moving job easy. Saved me several cases of beer already.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Mr. Mugen

LOL....yes. They were made in china to jet specifications according to the box. I am going to order the cut off saw tomorrow. Marquette is right next door. I live in the next town over (west). I also went to Northern Michigan University (for culinary school).. I batched the idea of cooking for a living and went with what I love to do most....Fishing charter captain. I also snowplow in the winter. Keeps me busy but these machines will eat up lots of holes in time for me. I was a machinist for 10 years and hated production machining so I gave it up. However tinkering at my pace is the kind of machining I love. The sled dog races are usually aroung the 20th of Feb every year. I'll post the date when I find out. I still need to buy tooling but have a good list put together now. Just have to go shopping for it. Take care
Old 12-07-2006, 07:09 PM
captinjohn

Mr. Mugen: I have tooling on its way from GRIZZ. I may get more from other places like Harbor F. Co. The Grizz catalog is one of the best I have seen. OH! I come from a family that has many fishermen. My Nephew has a charter service out of Ludington. He goes by the Rodmaster. Regards Capt,n..... P.S. My Grandson caught this pike near Marquette.

Name:	Qo40566.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	573413  
Old 12-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Volfy

Grizzly catalog sure has some nice stuff. WholesaleTools also has a good size catalog. Plus they have a local store here in Houston, so I tend to check there first.

Well, I finally got my garage cleaned up to a point where I'm not embarrassed showing it. All the machines are on wheels, which is an absolute necessity until I get my workshop built. The mills should be okay floating, but I'm not thrilled about the lathe not firmly grounded. None of the tools are set up properly yet. The Sieg X3 small mill is closest to being operationally ready and so will get priority. All tools are (or will be) variable speed, including the nice little bandsaw I got from Lathemaster.

So you don't think I've got the sense to stop here, I just bought a 12x36 gear head lathe off Ebay last night. I couldn't stand the lone 8x14 being ganged up by all the mills.[>:]

Name:	Ur52130.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	573473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58741.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	573474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25742.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	573475  
Old 12-07-2006, 08:53 PM
tim220225
My Feedback: (4)

Hey Capt,n, that picture brings back memories of the early and mid 70's when I used to spend summers in Lake Tomahawk WS at my grandparents house. Haven't seen a Northern in years. Fishing with the guys, skiing with the guys and nights with the neighbor girls. [8D] What a country! Nothing like the Northwoods.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:43 PM
captinjohn

Yupper...I kinda like heading North in summer and I would like to go South in winter. l love that North country ....you know your there when you hear a loons mournful cry. Volfy be careful not to do what I did once. I was pushing a tool cabinet on wheels and something small on floor stopped it RIGHT NOW. I guess you know with all the weight on top of another tool box ...over she went. Please don,t do that with those beautiful machines you have. Man, you are going to have a nice set-up when done. Best Regards, Capt,n
Old 12-08-2006, 01:34 AM
Volfy

Captin, thanks for the note. I do try to be very careful moving them around. I'll remember to pull more than push. The big mill is bolted to the stand and to the wooden base. The others will soon be bolted through the table top.

Speaking of northern country, I do miss it sometimes - especially the fall foliage. Well... only sometimes. I lived up there in CT and NY through most of the 80's and early 90s and remember the snow, slush and salt. Can't decide if that's better or worse than the mosquitos, mugginess and mold down here. Oh well, you win some and you lose some.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:53 AM
tim220225
My Feedback: (4)

Yea I remember those 36 long years myself growing up in Chicago. I like it here though. You know bleach and a power washer cures mold in a day when needed. Only the months of the calender cures the snow, slush, and salt. Only 3 or 4 crappy months up there that I couldn't deal with any more. Also the $10,000 property tax bill I got 10 years ago that I couldn't hack that sealed the deal for me to move. Uhhh whatever, don't want to turn this away from the important stuff. Tools!! Machines!!! Toys!!! Oh my.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:09 AM
Mr. Mugen

I wouldn't trade the snow, slush and salt for anything. It brings 6 months of ice fishing with it
Old 12-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Mr. Mugen

I know it's a bit off topic but here is a pic of the boat and a sample of the salmon we catch. The boat in the fish pic is my lil trip boat. The other is my ext. trip boat. And then there's the musky/walleye boat. To stay on topic a little we use my r/c boat when ancoring on a reef to make passes with crawler harnesses over the drop off and up and down it. There is a planer board release on the r/c boat to release the line when a fish strikes. This can be fun on those days when fishing is slow.

Name:	Om33501.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	573758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90554.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	573759  
Old 12-09-2006, 09:06 AM
captinjohn

Guys: Is it best to use the big wheel ("D IN MANUAL) for Longitude or top small wheel that also moves tool in same direction when bore-ing a small bushing that has been pre-drilled? Seems like either should work as long as the small cutter rest carriage is set at ZERO. Thanks Capt,n
Old 12-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Mike@Accurate

Cap'n, the big wheel moves the apron(?) left/right through the rack and pinion gears. So long as the travel needed is less than the travel of the compound, it would probably make a better finish than the rack. Good luck, MIKE
Old 12-09-2006, 02:51 PM
captinjohn

Mike: That makes sense to me. Is it necessary to lock the apron when using the compound? Thanks, Capt,n
Old 12-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Mike@Accurate

Yes, good idea. Tightening the gibs may move the zero around a little. I would check it with the apron locked. I have only bored through stuff too long for the compound's travel. Usually I have it removed and a 4-bolt plate installed with my QCTP on it. Then I use the auto feed from there. I have been looking at power feeding the lead screw as well. The 9x20 has a neutral (shifter left down below the gear selector holes) so I won't have to fool with the gears. I am looking at putting the motor on the right end of the lead screw. I have already got two computers/CNC controllers, so I was going to use a stepper. With one on the lead screw and one on the cross slide I could do some tapers etc. It wouldn't be like a "real" cnc lathe, but it would open up some ability to do things. As long as the shape only required feeding in one direction each, backlash wouldn't be so much of an issue. You certainly could just use a variable speed reversable motor (drill?) to achive feed in both directions at any rate. Enjoy, MIKE
Old 12-11-2006, 09:21 AM
captinjohn

Guys: I got a question? The drive belt with cogs on it wants to ride way toward the outside of the big driven pulley. The electric motor must be moved I think to get a better alignment so belt will ride more to the center. Can anyone shed some lite on this belt mis-alignment problem? My Lathe is a H.F. 8x12. Thanks Capt,n

Name:	Ro41608.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	575263  
Old 12-11-2006, 12:14 PM
RunningMan

You probably need to align the motor shaft axis so it is parallel to the head stock axis. In other words, the motor is pulley is a bit cocked with respect to the spindle pully.

Steve
Old 12-11-2006, 01:05 PM
captinjohn

OK....but by looking at the photo...which way do I need to move the rear of motor. Would it be up or down? My guess is up...but some may know for sure. Guess I will move it again, but have not had any luck yet! Capt.n[:-]
Old 12-11-2006, 02:52 PM
captinjohn

UDATE....I got the belt running on center. Took a little messing around....but she is good to go. Well the BROWN TRUCK just stopped in and I got some lathe tooling. I am real dissapointed on the 8mm cutting tools that was suppose to be just right for my Lathe. I installed one and the tip is about .080 below center. The tool is 8 mm (.0260) wide not leaving the best surface for the 3 screws in 4 way tool block to lock on tool. The 10 mm (.0320) height is not high enough to line up with center= about .080 below center. The 80 mm length is ok. So really I am not set up yet to do much yet. I do have only one tool that I can turn with ...I had that before I got the lathe[:-] What I need is a tool holder I can clamp into 4 way tool block that has a dovetail set-up so I can change tool height. I may Have a toolroom friend make one. unless I can find such a thing. No I am not going to pay the big bucks for the Quick change and still have to modify things to use it. Thanks Capt,n
Old 12-12-2006, 12:38 AM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Capt,n you are not going to get any tool out of the box that will be the correct height. If you do, it is an accident. You need to make yourself a set of shims the aproxment size of the tool bit shank, in varying thickness. In your case, you need 0.80" under the tool to make it the right height. The quick change tool post tool holders all have an adjustment screw to make this adjustment. The lantern post with the rocker uses the rocker to get the height just right. For the 4 way post, you have to shim to get them up to speed.

I've found that the metal hangers of the green file cabnet folders is just a nice size for shims. It is about 15 to 20 thou thickness and is around 1/4 to 5/16 wide. Just right for most of the bits you will use on that lathe. Some strips of 10 thou, 5 thou and if you really want to fine tune it, some 2 and 3 thou shim stock will make a good set. Make the long enough to lap two screws so you don't set up a rocker under the tool. By the way, you only use two of the screws, the two closest to the point. The rear screw is for the tool mounted 90 degrees from the first. You can hold four tools in the post and just rotate the complete head to change tools. That's the theory anyway. I've always found the rake on the tools was never just right and I couldn't index the 4 way but had to find a spot in the center to get the tool where I wanted it.

Don
Old 12-12-2006, 09:15 AM
captinjohn

Campgems: Thanks for the ideas about using metal hanger material for shims. You know once I get the tool shimmed to correct height, it will be easy...just use the same shims for each tool. Thanks for telling me about using just 2 screws and not all 3 on tool holder. I just assumed all 3 was needed. Well I off to find some shims. Best regards, Capt,n
Old 12-12-2006, 11:41 AM
RunningMan

You can get a pretty good set of shims from a feeler (thickness) gauge too.You know, like you use to set valve clearences. Just buy a cheap one and take it apart.

Steve

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.