Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Ryobi Mods a Photo Essay..

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 09:53 PM
MickMolloy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ryobi Mods a Photo Essay..

I am rebuiling a couple of ryobi motors for aircraft use. I have seen plenty of info on how to rebuild and mod but nothing really on how to strip a motor. A few people were asking how to do this so I snapped some pics along the way...
http://picasaweb.google.com/molloy.mick/RyobiRebuild

You might not need to go as far as I did in the disassembly but I was sure the crank seal on this motor was stuffed so I went all the way and removed the bearings also. Dont try and remove the bearing from the crank unless you have the correct tools and a press otherwise you WILL stuff the bearing and modt likely the crank too.

Anyway hope this helps.... somebody...
Old 05-17-2007, 04:25 PM
cwick1989

Default RE: Ryobi Mods a Photo Essay..

Ive got one and it runs great and Ive been trying to convert it for a while now an the only thing I have left is mounting it but Im not quite sure how... If I culd just seee a pic of a mounted one I could do it
Old 05-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Twobeers

I have just started to mod a new Ryobi 31cc weed wacker myself. This is the stage I am at now. One of the fellows at my club has and is turning down the cooling fins on the crankshaft at the moment. But this is stage I am at now. Notice any similarity to the Homelite engine? I am currently sourcing out the prop hub and nut. As for an engine mount, it looks like the homelite firewall flat mount is the way for me to go. I am waiting for a reply from wackerengines on that one. I tried calling him a couple of times today. The first time his cell kept cutting out, he said he was shopping in a store. The second time he hung up on me. I will report later in the week as the progress of this.
Now the first thing you all will notice is that the muffler is mounted on the side and not on the rear. The next is that it has a Zama carburator on the other side. I am tempted to keep the stock muffler seeing as that I can simply unscrew the output side of it and make up one to send the exhaust downward so that it won't melt the monokote on my plane and it is relatively light to top it all off.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26756.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	687951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40593.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	687952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42300.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	687953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87770.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	687954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq89272.jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	687955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uk78196.jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	687956  
Old 05-20-2007, 09:54 PM
The Raven

Yep, the pictures show a Homelite engine which are now very common in Ryobis. Both engines have their relative merits.

On the Homelite don't cut too much away from the magneto mount, leave as much metal around that as you can as a hard landing will cause it to snap off (been there done that).

Dump the ZAMA carb and go for a Walbro WA-167. I've experimented with modifying the ZAMA but as it has no high end needle it's a lost cause. At best you'll get the revs but it will be very lean.

You'll probably find you can't open the muffler to get good flow, it will have a plate running through the center of it which would need some serious cutting to get to flow.