Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Offset woodruff key

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 06:22 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Offset woodruff key

Offset woodruff key

It used to be a common practice to modify the timing on a magneto engine with an offset key. Does anyone know if offset 2mm woodruff keys are available?

Thanks.

Bill
Old 04-15-2007, 08:08 PM
tim220225
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Offset woodruff key

I have been running EI from CH on all my conversions but one. (Sorry Bill and Terry won't do that again). Anyway I have tried timing the engines at different settings but really no difference in running at any reasonable settings. Hope this helps your decision.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:11 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bills: I do not think you even need a key. Clean both crank and flywheel where they contact each other. Use a dab of locktite and tighten. The taper will hold it right there. Just ask RCIGN1. I am sure it will work. Best Regards Capt,n
Old 04-15-2007, 08:29 PM
tim220225
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you Capt,n. Loctite the hub on and fly. But I think he is looking for a power gain by changing the timing. At least thats the way I read it.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:19 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always just rip the magnetos off and throw them away so I can't give comparison results personally, but at least the Homelites were reported to make more power with the timing slightly advanced....

Do a search on the scooter websites. I remember seeing offset keys on one of them but I don't remember where now.

The guys are correct though, you can just use a little Loctite on the crank and the flywheel won't "go anywhere".

AV8TOR