Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Pioneer 51cc chainsaw

Old 12-11-2010, 09:09 AM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pioneer 51cc chainsaw

ok, dusting off this plane, making it a winter project.

I gave up on the gas/glow for now, the engine is set up with an RC EXL ignition, balancing with this engine is simple with a little battery rearrangement. The only thing engine related left is to install a bellcrank for the throttle, have a plan that I just need to implement then mount the throttle servo
Old 12-11-2010, 10:13 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like you have a very nice old style Quadra 52?

Enjoy
Old 12-12-2010, 09:37 PM
rangerfredbob

it's been ages since I've seen a quadra 52, the guy with the plane with one moved on to gas aerobatic planes instead of the HUGE trainer setup with the quadra, it was a tow plane for gliders and stuff, too big to transport along with a plane that's actually fun .

I'm going to weld up a blade for my bandsaw tomorrow at work, it's an odd size that you can't find in normal stores, it'll make cutting the aluminum sheet WAY faster than by hacksaw like I normally would. going to make my own carb arms, and there's nothing on the engine to mount a bellcrank to so I'm going to make a plate to wrap around two of the standoff's

I'm looking forward to flying this thing in the spring
Old 12-15-2010, 11:59 PM
rangerfredbob

got my band saw together finally!

made up a throttle linkage and the mount for the throttle bell crank, WAY faster than with a hack saw like I used to do

I'll do some more work on saturday, it should come together pretty quick now.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:21 PM
rangerfredbob

Final steps are going faster than I thought, doing things right this time and am almost done, need to buy a new rudder servo (the one in the airframe is glitchy and probably too small) and switch/charge harness and Dubro mount for the ignition, other than that the plane is ready for me to test run the engine then put the cowl on.

I'll try to get pics up soon
Old 12-28-2010, 09:31 PM
rangerfredbob

Servo is on it's way (along with 5 more for my Edge 540 project), giving the Power HD's a try, 200ozin for under $20 is appealing...

fiberglassed the cowl cracks, got one of the Harbor Freight oscillating multi tools and used it to sand the outside (works great), picked up some Bondo. Now all I need to do is fill and paint and the cowl is done. Once the weather cooperates the plane will fly... Fuel tank is plumbed, ignition switch is installed, choke linkage is waiting on me to install the cowl to get the hole in it set. I should be test running on saturday afternoon since it's not supposed to be raining. Need to make a fuel filling setup, have an idea . Will try to get pics when I have the plane outside.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:10 PM
rangerfredbob

Had some time to myself tonight so I got some pics

and one of my "hangar," some planes are stashed elsewhere but that's the bulk of it:

I know the magnet ring is large and bulky at 2" diameter but it was the cleanest looking setup I could come up with. On the carb linkages, wasn't the easiest setup at that angle but it came out good, it takes the servos full travel plus some (Futaba 9Z so I can up the travel) to go from closed stop to WOT, tried to use linkage positions to add in a physical throttle curve.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:42 PM
rangerfredbob

it runs! and good at that! I could only stick the tach on at idle since I was by myself but it was a reliable 1700rpm.

There was something in the pulse port so it wouldn't run before.

Little more touch up on the structure of the fuse, and making something for the fill line, also do some clean up on the cowl and hopefully make a maiden next sunday if the weather holds out.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:58 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds great! Good luck on the maiden, and have fun.

AV8TOR
Old 01-10-2011, 12:15 AM
rangerfredbob

Thanks, cowl's coming along, haven't really screwed with fiberglass/bondo before so it's not perfect but it's better than it was...
Old 01-14-2011, 07:49 PM
rangerfredbob

Plane completed but it won't be maidened this weekend, rain all weekend! hopefully next weekend...

made my own fuel filler, will get a pic once the plane is outside and all together so I can get good pics of it, basically just took some 1/2" bar, trimmed it down to 3/8 and took the 3/8-16 die to it (faster than setting up the lathe for 1/2" of threads), drilled the middle to 1/4" and made it look decent, then took some 3/8" rod and made a bump for it.

The plane turned out to be 17lb 10oz with 1/8 tank of fuel since that's as much as I could suck out of the tank which is fine...

The 85" Extra 330 should do decent at that weight with a 52cc engine I imagine. COG is right at the wing tube.