My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDI ignition question

Hello,
Does anyone own a Thor cdi unit?

If so, could you tell me the wire
color for battery (+). My choices
are WHT, and bare/uninsulated wire.

Do other brands use these colors for their cdi ignitions?

Thanks
Old 02-14-2009, 12:39 PM
youngm48
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: CDI ignition question

Does anyone know which ignition module offered by C.H. Ignitions, Inc. would make a suitable replacement/upgrade for the oem ignition module that comes with a Thor45 CDI engine?
Old 02-14-2009, 02:40 PM
tkg

Depends on whick version of the Thor you have.
The ignition DOES NOT care which engine its on, the problem is the sensor package and the timing. Where is your engine timed and what connector is on the sensor???
The last Thor I did (V3) you had to drill and tap the crankcase to make the new sensor time correctly
Old 02-14-2009, 05:56 PM
youngm48

tkg -
A rotating timing (sensor) pickup is located on a crankshaft flywheel at the front of the engine. A static sensor in line with the aforementioned flywheel sensor, part of a small bracket, has a wire potted into it (poorly I may add) screwed (2) into the crankshaft housing just aft of the flywheel. At the other end this wire has a traditional looking NiCd of NiMH looking battery connector interface with a lead coming out of the CDI module.

It is not obvious to me with the operating instructions that came with the engine which version I have. I bought the motor prematurely mid-2007 and am just now installing it into an airplane. I have been ramping up in the flying experience and feel I am now big airplane ready. The engine assembly p/n is THR001.
youngm48
Old 02-14-2009, 07:37 PM
tkg

Go to the CH web site and down load the timing instructions Check the timing on your engine, remember time the spark not the location of the sensor and magnet.
www.ch-ignitions.com
Old 03-23-2009, 02:26 PM
youngm48

Tried starting my Thor 45 for the first time today. The was no spark. 6V/2700 mAh NiMH battery into the CDI module. With the plug removed and grounded there was no spark when the prop flywheel sensor rotated past the staic pickup. Any troubleshooting suggestions out there? I suspect I may have a faulty CDI module?