Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

Do your muffller bolts come loose?Try this!

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Do your muffller bolts come loose?Try this!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 11:17 PM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do your muffller bolts come loose?Try this!

Ive heard quite a few people who have there bolts come loose on our conversion engines and the best name brand engines as well.Well heres a fix thats guarenteed to work.Its been used for years on flywheel bolts from heavy equipment,mack trucks,rod bolts,ect...Take a piece of galvanized flashing and make a strip about 1/4 of an inch longer than your bolt spacing and about a 1/4 inch wider.Drill your bolt holes,then put this between your bolts and muffller.after you tighten bend up the extra around the hex of the bolt.It cant come loose.The pic shows it all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20855.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	890468  
Old 03-02-2008, 08:31 PM
PraryMan

Default RE: Do your muffller bolts come loose?Try this!

Very good and easy solution, I am impressed! So simple, I always tend to do the most difficult way first.
Thanks!
Old 03-02-2008, 08:38 PM
microsprint9

Back when i was building and racing microsprints we used to drill small holes on the side of socket head capscrew bolts ( where the allen key goes ) then use wire to attach the bolts together, this will also keep them from loosening.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:45 PM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

Back in the 80"s when i was working on rebuilding mack engines that"s what we did to the flywheel bolts.This is just way easier but ill do 2 bol;ts this week and put a pic on here for people to get another idea.And ill get another pic straight on of this one with the plate.