Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Brillelli 46GT Alternate?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:56 AM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brillelli 46GT Alternate?

I would like to buy a 46GT, but the problems currently being experienced with Brillelli are well documented over on the Gas Engines forum. Since I am not interested in riding that situation out, is there a solid conversion alternative that will compete with the 46GT in terms of power and weight? I believe the 46GT is based on the 46cc Poulan engine, is that correct? I see numerous threads on the Poulan engines and they sound like a quality choice. Are there any other lighter 40-45cc engines I should consider?

I am not in a huge hurry, it can be a winter project sort of thing, but I would like to start looking for the right pieces now so I am ready when I need it.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 08-11-2008, 03:11 PM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brillelli 46GT Alternate?

His 46 is a poulan 46.You can buy a brand new poulan saw witha 42 or 46 for around $120.00 from wmart,lowes,hdepot,ect,shop around.The 42cc you can bolt the carb right to the cyinder.I believe the 46 you have to make a collar because it has a rubber boot.I had a 42 and if ya wanted to keep it simple use it instead of the 46.You can also do the homlite 45 saw engine.Theres quite a few threads in here on that one.Somone just had one for sale in the classifieds i think.I have an echo 45 im doing right now.These come from the blowers[PB-4500].ill post a pic later.All ya have to do is look at scotts 46 and youll see how to make the intake.Theres a few people that could make mufflers if needed.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:50 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Buck,

Thanks for the reply. I figured that was it. The conversion should be no issue, I am a mechanical engineer and have contacts locally for machining and custom bits. The only thing I would buy would be the ignition setup most likely and just work out the rest myself. Is the OEM carb OK to use, just needs adapting to the engine? Any other trickery required beyond a hub to carry a prop?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 08-11-2008, 08:42 PM
buck1856

Nothing to speak of.I think i had a carb with the number 34 in the venturi.The 46 youll need to make an adaptor,like a ring that is held on by 2 setscrews on each side and then use a 1/2 inch piece of G10 as a heat dam and use the carb bolts to go all the way through the carb,heat dam,and screw into the adaptor.Hub you can cut the center out of the flywheel and then true it up in a lathe for cdi or gas/glow.This would be your magnet sensor,below is a pic of a couple setups of mine.I believe the stock carb would be fine.Do asearch in this forum for the engine and ask the guys what mufflers,ect theyr using and props.You could also make your hub fit all the way over the shaft.When you look at the threads for the 46 look at the instalation pics for ideas.Get an Rcxcel ign from ralph and set it at 28 BTDC.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43679.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1009286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10503.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1009287  
Old 08-11-2008, 11:07 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

the 46 has M8x1 threads, that's about all that's different from anything else, other than the carb adapter the thing falls out of the saw. it comes with a 1/2" venturi carb, should be sufficient according to everyone else.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:50 PM
buck1856

Thats what i kinda thought.Thats the same size thraeds as my sachs engines[saw].I believe its the same size as the toros.As a matter of fact i have 2 or3 hubs made up right now.These would just screw on the flywheel or the timing ring how about[rotor]since thats what it does. as i call it.