Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Ryobi 4-troke to glow

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 11:38 AM
T.L.A.R. eng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ryobi 4-troke to glow

I am looking for thoughts and comments on converting a Ryobi 4-stroke to glow. I want to turn the engine on it's side and mount it on a 4 wheel drive r/c truck.

Am I going to run into oiling problems, or will the glow fuel adequately find it's way to the bottom end?

I changed the carb to a 7 mm Walbro with a celophane valves but will the diaphram be ok with alcohol based 20 % nitro fuel?

I plan on removing the flywheel and magneto and machining a plain aluminum flywheel. Will I have cooling issues?

Will a friction flywheel starter turn this thing over?

I plan on removing the large bottom sump in favor of something smaller and triming off all the extra weight.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:09 PM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

Default RE: Ryobi 4-troke to glow

Link didnt work,ill have to try somthing else.It wasa link to a thread here in this forum for ryobi 4 stroke.Just put ryobi 4 stroke in the search bar at the bottom right hand corner of page.
Try here and see if any thing would help ya.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:59 PM
T.L.A.R. eng

Thank you sir, I did the search earlier but didn't go back towards the beginning. I've got some reading to do. [sm=49_49.gif]

In case someone else would want to do a glow plug conversion on this engine, I did find that a 1/4 NPT brass fuel line fitting for lawn mower carbs will fit the spark plug thread of the Ryobi 4- stroke and can be easily drilled and tapped for 1/4-32 model glow plug thread. Of course you cut off the fuel hose barb and face off that end of the fitting for the glow plug.

Someone else suggested drilling out the base of the original spark plug, as the base hole would allow a 1/4-32 tap, but at $12.00 and up I hate to destroy the original plug.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:54 PM
foamcut
My Feedback: (40)

TLAR,

Where did you find the 1/4 NPT fuel line fitting used as a glow adapter?

Thanks
Old 09-09-2008, 08:51 PM
T.L.A.R. eng

I found a couple in my junk,

I think they are old fuel inlet fittings from Tillotson carburators found on old chain saws. I allso happened across some soft pot metal ones from who knows where. I would think the brass ones would be easier to work with.

If you have an old 1/4 NTP male plug fitting, it can be modified to work allso. A search at the local hardware store should yield something easy to convert.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:59 AM
foamcut
My Feedback: (40)

Thanks for yourhelp.