Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

mac 32 rear exhaust, rear carb. muffler?

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

mac 32 rear exhaust, rear carb. muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:12 PM
flyguyeddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mac 32 rear exhaust, rear carb. muffler?

my dad picked up a few trimmers and one of them is a mac 32 RIRE.

does anyone make a muffler for this, and is there any hop ups that can be done? muffler is held on by those damn springs.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:08 AM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: mac 32 rear exhaust, rear carb. muffler?

I don't think I've seen any Mac engines that fit that description fully. Some of the new Mac trimmers are using the ryobi 31cc block, but they should have the same bolt on muffler that the Ryobi/Troy Bilt/Ryan etc have. on the other hand there were a lot of old craftsman/sears trimmers that were labeled 32cc that look a heck of a lot like the ryobi's and had spring attached mufflers, these are made by Poulan. the mac 32cc engines are side intake side exhaust and have one spring holding the muffler on, a hook on the front with a wire going around the muffler and the spring is along the rear.

I can get pics of examples of each at some point tomorrow probably, I have the mac 32 mounted to my plane right now and have two of the Poulan engines on the shelf, and another still in weedie form.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:40 AM
flyguyeddy

ah ok i stand corrected. it is a poulan then.

and yes, it was a craftsman weed eater.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:38 AM
rangerfredbob

ok, those are pretty much a Ryobi, they are usually long shaft engines, so if going with mag ignition the prop adapter is just a spacer. the mufflers on the ones I have would be bad for anything but a stick based plane as the outlet is all the way around the dang thing, but that could probably be sealed with some JB weld and another outlet or two welded on

I've heard good things about the power of them
Old 09-09-2008, 06:06 PM
flyguyeddy

im pretty sure its not a ryobi. i got a ryobi the same time as this one. its similar in teh instance that it has a rear carb and whatnot but the cylinder doesnt bolt down the same and the reed plate seems shaped differently.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:18 PM
rangerfredbob

I know, but they convert about the same, could probably make a ryobi engine mount fit (could even bolt up for all I've tried), and the prop adapter is most likely the same.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:44 PM
rangerfredbob

ok, finally remembered to check it for ya, with the fan housing trimmed off, backplate trimmed and without prop hub (with stock muffler, ignition and flywheel) it's 3 pounds 14oz, close to the weight of a mac 32 or Ryobi 31, so shold be a decent candidate as long as you can get the muffler into something that works with a plane