Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

A bit off topic, But....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 12:27 AM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A bit off topic, But....

This looks like it could be a gasBack in the early 70's I had a bike (10 speed) equipped with a "Chicken Power" gas engine that is very similar to this kit I found on EBAY. That thing was a blast to ride and in fact I rode/drove it a few times about 26 miles to the airport where I kept my old Cessna tied down. Anyway this looks like a fun project to sort of re-live my youth! No big loss if it's a POS. I can't remember what brand engine was in the "Chicken Power" kit but I believe it was only a 25cc motor. What do you guys think? http://cgi.ebay.com/50CC-BICYCLE-ENG...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 10-01-2008, 12:59 AM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A bit off topic, But....

I know this may sound stupid but check your local laws.Theres been quite a few people,lots in phoenix that have bought gas bikes,scooters,ect of various desighn.The police are cracking down on them because the sellers say street legal and there not in some localities.Just dont want ya to waste your money.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:28 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a bit different than the ones I have seen, and kind of interesting. I met a guy in San Carlos Mexico that had one with the engine running a friction setup on the back wheel. He rode that thing all over town and I often saw him many miles from his home. He said the police in Mexico think it's really cool, and the only time they stop him is to inquire about the bike. But Buck is right, check your local laws. Many fun things aren't legal in the states anymore.... I've heard some people got around the law for a bit by having under a certain size engine, but then the cops cracked down on that as well.

If you buy it, let us know how it works!
Good luck,
AV8TOR
Old 10-01-2008, 01:57 AM
mikenlapaz

I look at the kit and think, humm...what if I took the bar off a 45cc Homelite chain saw and made a mount and throttle linkage? With a gallon fuel tank and the right sprocket. About the same same price and come winter put the bar back on for firewood duty.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:11 AM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

in Oregon, the engine has to be under 35cc, and can't go over 25mph, and you can't drive over 15mph (not sure how you're supposed to know how fast you're going, I for one am not investing in a speedo)

I got my 33cc scooter off of craigslist for $45, the previous owner couldn't get it started, turns out the kill switch wires were twisted together... it's a beater, but for that price running like new you can't complain... if I ever get up the nerve I'm going to commute on the thing, I only live like 2 miles from work, but there is 1/4 mile of highway involved (that's another thing, I'm not supposed to ride it on roads marked over 40mph unless there's a marked bike lane). my scooter with the muffler drilled out like the previous owner did tops out around 30mph, which is kinda scary on 9" tires... before I attempt commuting I need to muffle the engine, it's way too loud to run around houses in the morning, I figure a $4 lawnmower muffler should do nicely
Old 10-01-2008, 02:17 AM
Bass1

Dang , Even if I can't ride it legally and locally these days, it sure would be neat just to have a decent (beach cruiser type) bike equipped with this rig and on display in my shop/garage. Shoot.. The cost is only about the price of 1 decent giant scale servo![sm=49_49.gif]. I bet I could sneak it out late at night (2:00 AM -ish) for a wild ride and be safely back into my locked and sealed garage.. even before the police could be mobilized in response to all the after hours "disturbing the peace" complaints !![sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 10-01-2008, 06:22 AM
Mattholew

Make sure you let us know how it turns out. I may be interested in one as well, if it holds up.

Here in Georgia, any scooter 49cc and under that has headlight, tailight, turn signals on front and rear with one rear view mirror is legal for use on all public roads, minus the Interstates. I have wanted to pick up a Honda Ruckus for a long time, just to put around on. Completely unneccessary and nearly useless for me, but it would be fun and street legal. There are guys on the internet taking these 50cc scooters and traveling hundreds of miles at a time on them for the shear adventure of it.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:45 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

NAH !!! this is the way you need to go ! http://www.webx.dk/rc/scooter/rm001.jpg
Old 10-01-2008, 12:39 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make the wrong move on that scooter...your child making days are over!!! Capt,n
Old 10-01-2008, 12:45 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Captain, On the site I found this picture the guy had a scary note.. the scooter has more than a 1 to 1 power, when he started it the scooter supposedly lifted off, Hows that for scary? fricking thing is like a prop driven boomerang if you aren't careful !
Old 10-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Bass1

Wow, I think I'd have to make some kind of safety cage (from an old fan) around that prop on the scooter![X(]
Old 10-01-2008, 03:22 PM
bat.guy
My Feedback: (21)

Nope-I don't like it. It says needle bearing[sm=thumbs_down.gif] engine so would have to rig T bearing or use belt drive. Nope.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:45 PM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

Your absolutly right and its that way here.But,you have to have a motorcycle endorsment,insurance,and a registration.So by this time i might as well go get a MC that gets good gas milage and can move when i want it too.Heres another thing here also.If it has pedals on it and it can be pedaled as a bicycle then it is classified as a motor assist bicycle.Say for going uphills or getting grocerys from the store when you need a little extra power.Just another thought.Thats how come theres so many different laws.Like stated,my 2 sons when younger had the gas skateboards [echo 24cc on them].But as soon as some keds are having fun and staying out of trouble,somone has to come along and make it illegal so they can go spray paint buidings instead.Anyway,if ya get it keep us posted with a pic or 2.check out carrprecision i think but maybe jagengines.they sell somthing also.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:14 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

you're in luck: http://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/1/41615/41615/

looks like if it's under 50cc, under 2hp and can't go over 30mph you are good in virginia
Old 10-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Bass1

rangerfredbob, Thanks for the info/link on the moped/motorcycle laws. I guess that explains why the cops left me alone but the dogs (and sometime the rednecks) went crazy and chased the hell out of me[X(]) when I used to ride my "Chicken Powered" bike to the airport back in the early 70s.[8D] Are needle bearings not desirable in this sort of application?? I have no clue what kind of bearings were in that old chicken power engine.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:08 AM
nitro joe
My Feedback: (2)

“Chicken Powered”

O&R 1.3 C.I. (~22cc)
Friction drive.Notice the drive roller attached to the gearbox.(3 to1 ratio?)
Pic stolen from a “Bay" auction a while ago.
I think It went for just over 50 bucks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83205.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	1044779  
Old 10-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Bass1

That's it! I was cruising down the street on the ocean front one day and hit a patch of sand while turning around and dumped the bike. The bike ended up on top of me including that hot ***** muffler. I still have a scar on my leg from that painfull experience![sm=angry_smile.gif]
Old 10-05-2008, 08:59 PM
KeithLuneau

While we're on the topic of motorized bicycles, check out this one that I built out of my nephews old broken down Schwinn Stingray Chopper... [8D]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NSTYA_wR8A

It's got a 1973 90cc Honda engine from an ST90. The old ST90 was given to my dad about 25 years ago, and didn't run at the time. He never did anything with it, and last year I pulled it out of the weeds and pulled the engine off. I tore it down and rebuilt it, and put it on the bike. Runs pretty good for a 35 year old engine! lol I ended up swapping the bike for some motorcycle parts though, and missed it ever since. Now I've got another frame out in the back, and another engine sitting on the shelf in the shed, I'm thinking winter project... If I do build another, it'll be a trike, I've got an axle on an old ATC110 frame that'll be perfect!
Old 11-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Bass1

Default Finally!

Well, it 's been 7 years since I started this thread and I finally got around to building my little motorbike. I got to tell you, it's a blast to ride I and I get some dumb founded looks cruising around the neighborhood. A few quirks here and there with the build but nothing an average RCer would have trouble with. I really have to be careful with throttle control as the darn thing can go faster than I care to travel. I cruise around at 15 to 20mph and that's fast enough for a 26" cruiser bike and a 63 year old man. Pretty sure it will do 35mph but I'll leave that for the Kneivel types!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	2128871  
Old 11-03-2015, 02:14 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bass1,that's a sweet looking bike. I was going to make one and checked with local police and they said no more than 49cc and if riding at night it had to have a headlight,tail light and reflectors on it. They didn't mention any speed.There's two that I've seen locally.One that a lady has I think,a 35cc Honda engine with friction drive and the other is on a mountain bike and has a Stihl 40 some cc chainsaw engine on it and uses the original pull starter and is chain driven.
There's even a forum for these. http://www.motoredbikes.com/forum.php

Last edited by Tidnab; 11-03-2015 at 02:19 PM.