Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: GAS/GLOW HOW TO....

you can get 10mmx1/4''-32 brass adapters. e-mail: hyperdude64@yahoo.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With Ralph C. gone and CH ignitions closed where can one send
    his special projects that he just doesn't have the time for or the expertise to Finnish?
    Ralph

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

drop me an e-mail if you need lathe/mill work. prop adapters/timing set ups, plug adapters 14mm to 10mm, 14mm to 1/4''-32, 10mm to 1/4''-32, etc. e-mail hyperdude64@yahoo.com I'LL PICK UP WHERE THEY LEFT OFF!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

av8tor1977,, know what I'm thinking for my 44cc Super Tartan Twin,,

because the Tartan is a Straight Methanol Engine and has such a High Compression Ratio>, take 1 Gallon of 5% nitro, increase the Oli Content to 20%, then mix it Half/and Half with Gasoline, go fly,,

this will be very simple and give me 2.5% Nitro with 10% oil, Burn less fuel and drop my fuel pricing Per-Gallon

on the other hand I'm thinking maybe just getting it over with and convert it to Ignition, BUT that will increase weight and that is one thing I dodn't want to do to this plane, it weighs about 15&1/2 pounds with the MVVS 35cc Gasser and with the Tartan (Igition) it will be about 16 Pounds

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	He97217.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	1523578  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Question..... with todays 10% ethanol based gasoline do you think this will change the % of the mix?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been wondering that myself !! "av8tor1977 ???" LOL

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am about to mount and run a 16cc Stihl that I want to run gas/glow. I have no magneto for it, but I do have a spark plug adapter for the glow plug. I plan on using the suggested OS F plug. I will start with 20/20 glow fuel mixed 1 part to 3 parts gasoline. I have some questions:

1. Can I use mid grade 89 octane gasoline with no ethanol (from the marina) for the gasoline? Or is 93 Octane required. Is the 10% ethanol required?

2. Can I use straight methanol and add Klotz Super Techniplate to get the total 5% oil in the mixed fuel? Or, is nitro required?

If I have to run full time glow plug power, I can live with that. Do the changes I have asked about above affect the need for plug full time power?

Thank you very much. I have read all that I can find about gas/glow and did not find the answers to the above.

Sincerely, SPACEWORM, Saito Club #635

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would recommend premium gasoline, as we have encountered a few engines that experience some detonation without premium gas. As far as 10% ethanol, I don't think it would be a problem, though if you had been running gasoline without ethanol before, you will probably have to richen the mixture up a touch.

Otherwise, all the pertinent info about the proper fuel mix and such are on the very first post of this thread.

Hope this helps,
    AV8TOR
    If it is not SCARY, it is NO WHERE NEAR powerful enough!!
    All R/C planes have expiration dates---> It's just not printed on them anywhere!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had Fujiman mill me a glow plug adapter for the 20cc RCGF engine (10mm to 1/4") and it fit and works great. If you're looking for this adapter, shoot him an e-mail. He's good to work with.

Now if I can ever get this cranky Chinese carb to work, I'll be good to go. I did get it to run long enough to see Gas/Glo does work. I plan on replacing the carb with a Walbro with primer bulb.
    CAJUN
    FROM DEEP IN THE HEART OF EAST TEXAS PINEYWOOD

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Finally solved the carb problems on my RCGF 20cc and am now running it on Gas/Glow and am totally pleased.

Had to swap out the Chinese carb for a Walbro I had in the spares box. I think it came off of a leaf blower. Already had a alky resistant diaphram in it and all I had to do was some rear plumbing work to get the pulse line working for the fuel pump. I'm using the 1/3rd ST 10/10 glow fuel and 2/3rds gasoline mix. I plan on mixing just a gallon at a time to assure it's fresh.

The engine transitions good, and idles at a tickover. Starting is easy as the new carb has a primer bulb built in to get the carb wet.

Removing the ignition module and battery really made a big difference in the front of the fuselage. Lots of room now.

Thanks all for you're help.

And thanks fujiman for milling the glow plug adapter. Works like a charm.

I'm thinking my next project will be to modify one of the weed eater engines I have on hand and convert it to Gas/Glow. Not having to worry about the ignition should make it much easier.

CAJUN

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey cajun 1,
    Do you ever see any Fence Lizzadrs out there? I have had them for pets...lots of fun to watch the "bob" at each other. I think I read there are quite a few kinds out there.

That gas/glow is fun too...av8tor got me into that! They sure start nice. Take Care...Capt,n
    I never met a engine I did not like !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Congrats on your success. Besides how light they are and how nicely they run, Gas/Glow engines are also fun because people at the flying field can hardly believe what they are seeing!!

AV8TOR
    All R/C planes have expiration dates---> It's just not printed on them anywhere!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Captinjohn, we have every kind of lizzard there is I think, so I guess we also have the fence lizzards. I'm not much of an expert on lizzards. But, I do enjoy seeing them as they prey on insects.

Now that I've seen the advantages of Gas/Glow, I see several of my engines being converted. I may even try converting the old Quadra 50cc. It was always too heavy and removing the magneto may make it a decent engine.
    CAJUN

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone actually used 100 oct LL aviation gas in Gas/Glo?

I saw some posts way back that seemed to think the lead would eventually kill the glow plug. It seems like the thinking was the lead would collect on the glow wire.

Has anyone actually tried it and does the lead cause a problem? If no one has actually tried it and found it not to work, I may have to try it and see for myself.
    CAJUN

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

100LL avgas is not good for two stroke engines. The lead will cause deposit build up, spark plug fouling, etc. And contrary to popular belief, it will actually make a bit less power than auto gas.

There is really no reason to use it...

AV8TOR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

cajun1, thanks for kind words, glad to help out. also, be happy to help you with the weedy conversion parts also, adapters ,prop hubs, etc. are you going with the glow mix also on these?????

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

av8tor1977,, so I have been thinking about using the Gas/Glow Mix in a Zenoah 20cc on a heli,, what you think ??

I have been wanting the Century Radical 20cc Gasser Heli and been thinking this G/G Mix with a Glow Plug will lighten-up the heli considerably, and being a Gasoline Engine it may be less finicky than a Glow Engine,

just something I have been thinking and now I have the Bread, MooLaa, GreenBacks,,,,,, what-Yeeaa think ??

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It should work great, and I would say "go for it!" Let us know how it works out. Don't forget to use the proper mix as outlined in post #1, and an OS Four Stroke glow plug.

Helicopters sometimes have troubles running hot, and the Gas/Glow engines run cooler, so this could be a good setup... Just be sure to get the c.g. right!

AV8TOR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"cooler" yes I was thinking that too,, just to day~if you didn't know I have been flying Helis for 9 years now,, as for the brake-in I thought i would run the Engine on the Stand for a couple gallons, I hate braking-in a Heli Engine in flight,,

as for the Mix I thought I would start out with 1/2 and 1/2, what do you think ??

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I REALLY recommend staying with the original Gas/Glow mix for a bunch of reasons. One of which being lots of gas carbs won't flow enough fuel with higher ratios. Try the setup as we perfected it first, then experiment. But not on a "flying" machine. I would also recommend only running on the test stand enough to familiarize yourself with the running characteristics. Extended bench running is not good.

AV8TOR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK,, but it will be a while, a few weeks maybe even 2 months..

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi
    Im going to convert my 39cc Mcculloch to gas/glow and have a question for you.
    Somewhere in the many posts it states that the engine can sometimes start backwards,does it run just the same backwards as forwards as i really cannot get my head round this
    Cheers Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

if it is a reed induction type eng. it will run in either direction as the intake doesn't depend on port timing. if the eng. is induction system based on crank shaft or side port induction then it MAY start in reverse but just won't run correctly if at all due to that system is timed via the crank or intake port timing. if you need a plug adapter for a glow plug PM me for info.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry, but that is incorrect. A piston ported engine will run just as well backwards as forwards in a glow setup, or even an ignition setup if the timing is set to zero degrees and has no advance system. It does not need to be a reed valve engine to run in either direction.

Now a ROTARY valved engine, such as most glow engines are, will not run properly backwards as then the intake timing will indeed be off. Some gas engines, (but very few) are rotary valve intake.

AV8TOR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

opps!!!! sorry thanks for correcting my comment. old age and confusion must be infusing my brain!!!!!!![X(]

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast