Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: GAS/GLOW HOW TO....

No problem. I totally understand!

AV8TOR
    If it is not SCARY, it is NO WHERE NEAR powerful enough!!
    All R/C planes have expiration dates---> It's just not printed on them anywhere!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So if you wanted to you could start the engine and run it in reverse with no adverse effect with it being piston ported.

Also with the magneto/fan removed do you need a flywheel to aid tickover

Can anyone also provide me with details of a marine flywheel i:e the starter belt groove,as you may have summised my engine is going to be fitted in a boat

Cheers Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't remember what engine you have but the grooved flywheels are available for the Zenoah marine engines. You may could use one on your engine?

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.1359/.f

These are designed to use with a Vee Belt and a Sullivan starter. The belt after starting the engine lays about the pully/shaft but remains dormant.

Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Recipient, Mangledhand award August 2008
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The only problem one encounters with running them reversed is that the flywheel nut is usually normal right hand thread. When we use them in an airplane with a propeller, the nut will often come loose when running reversed. The power pulses act like an air hammer, loosening the nut.

AV8TOR
    All R/C planes have expiration dates---> It's just not printed on them anywhere!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

av8tor1977

what about E85/,, my friend ask me about Mixing 2 Parts E85 and 1 Part straight Methanol for a Super Tartan 44cc Twin (still a lot of these Twins out there)

these Super Tartan Engines have a 11:1 Compression Ratio and I'm wondering if the Ethanol will Pre-ignite ??

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I tried E-85 when we started this whole Gas/Glow thing, and didn't have much luck with it. It is methanol that causes the catalytic reaction that keeps the glow plug lit, and E-85 is ethanol. Didn't work well for me.

AV8TOR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Robert!!! but they are going to replace the gasoline with E85 and use 1/3 METHANOL I think it should work, I used straight E85 with plug always lit it worked but les RPM then Gas/Glow.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dose anyone know where i can get a hub replacement for the flywheel and prop adapter for a sthil 26cc. it has a tapered shaft that is keyed
    Thanks
    Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi mike, PM me or reach me at hyperdude64@yahoo.com i can help you out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you fujiman I sent you an email
    Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got an adapter from fujiman. Good stuff!
    I'm trying to find methanol locally. The best I can do is 117 bucks for five gallons at a chemical supply house. Anyone have good luck with HEET?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I get mine form a local speed shop for $5.00 a gallon in my jug. It has a small amount of undefined oil, I guess to keep cylinders of engines from rusting. I mix it with Klotz Tecniplate syn plus castor for FAI fuel for my ASP hi comp engines. Works great.

Try speed shops or motorcycle or go kart racing shops or tracks or drag strips.

Sincerely, Richard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Local speed shop wants 160 a barrel.
    Back in the day I used to work at an automotive machine shop. I swung by and talked to the owner and he hooked me up with a local nostalgia drag racer. He is gonna spot me a few gallons to see if I can get this to work. As soon as I get a test stand built up I'll give it a go. Maybe this weekend.
    Edit to add:
    I forgot to ask about how much residue is in the exhaust for this mix?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The residue would be the same as for the equalivalent percent of oil you have been using. I like and use a mix of syn and castor to a total of 20% oil for my hi compression 2 stroke glow engines. All synthetic or lower oil % will reduce the castor accumulation on the airframe. To me, a wipe down after flight is worth it to keep my engines happy. [8D]

You may be able to get nitro from your nostalgia drag race contact, bur I am trying to loose the use of nitro myself.

I am going to try the speed shop methanol on a gas-glow 16 cc Echo 2 stroke gas engine to see if I can use no nito for that also. I will mix the methanol 1 part to 2 or 3 of gasoline and add Pennzoil air cooled 2 stroke oil to a 1 to 32 mix. If glow plug ON for either just for start, or full time, doesn't work, I may reveret to the tried and true gas-glow fuel or go to ECDI and just gasoline.

Good luck with your projects. Keep us informed.

Sincerely, Richard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Using the normal Gas/Glow mix, the oil content comes out to about 32:1. I don't see any more residue on the airplanes than I do with regular gasoline setups, which is to say almost nothing...

AV8TOR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks.
    Does a normal gas fuel tank and fuel lines work, or are you using something else? It's been a while since I read thru the thread and can't remember if that was mentioned or not.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use the same tank, stopper, and fuel lines I would use for a normal gasoline setup, which is to say Tygon and/or Viton.

I do use a special "Storage Fuel" however. You can look that up with a search here in the forum. I use this with BOTH my gasoline and Gas/Glow setups. I drain the normal flying fuel out, whichever type it is, and then fill the tank about half full with my Storage Fuel which is Coleman fuel mixed at 20 to 1 with Pennzoil for Air Cooled engines and a small amount of STA-BIL fuel conditioner/stabilizer. I then run the engine at varying throttle settings for a bit and then choke it to kill it. (You will probably need the glow power on for doing this.) Then leave the fuel in the tank until the next time you are ready to fly. Then remove it, fill up with Gas/Glow, and you are ready to go.

I was having serious carb problems in as little as six weeks time on my regular gasoline planes. My Storage Fuel idea virtually stopped this problem, and I now do it on all my planes, whether they are Gas/Glow or regular gasoline setups.

Note that I do not recommend flying with Coleman fuel in any case. Yes, I know that some people do so, but I still do not recommend it.

AV8TOR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds like a good idea. If I don't go out of town on Saturday I'm going to give it a whirl.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don't forget that if you use a fuel pump, it needs to be compatible with gas also.

RS
    Just Fly It.
    SIG Brotherhood # 99
    Kadet Brotherhood # 141

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I didn't get to run it, but I did get the carb to finally draw fuel. Its brand new and just wouldn't pull anything out of the tank. Spent all my free time getting it to work, and by time it did it was dark outside. I'll give it a shot Tuesday. The bad part is I don't even know what I did to get it to go!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi richard, the needle may have been stuck. sometimes it takes a while for the carb. to prime up and purge out the air. that's why some chain saws and other yard equip. engs./fuel systems use those primer bulbs on the carb. or in the inlet fuel line. hope that helps. let me know how the adapter i made you, worked out for you too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, dry carbs can be a pain sometimes. When I am setting up an engine, I almost always pull the carb apart to check it, even if it is new. Besides checking to be sure the needle isn't stuck, upon reassembly, I flood each section of the carb with WD-40. Then the carb always draws fuel immediately. It is only 5 screws and a few minutes time to do this, and it can save an hour of frustration if you end up having problems.

AV8TOR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

a ''LITTLE'' prime down the throat of carb. works also. with eng running it operates the pump faster than just hand proping.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fujiman, I really like the plug adapter. It's a nice piece of work.
    Yeah to all the above. I think the problem was in the diaphragm. After I got it out and wet it up with a little fuel things began to move.
    I'm like a kid at Christmas, can't wait to fire it up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks a bunch beechbum!!!!!!! you guys keep pitch'n this gas to glow thang i just mite have to turn one of these adapters and give'r a go. HHHHHHMMMMMMM!!!!!!!! no mag., no expensive ign. system, no fus'n with timing, lighter eng. weight, a tad more power!!!!!!! i'm sold, out to the lathe and i be cutt'n me own. let's see 1 part glow fuel (10/10%), 2 parts pre'mo gasoline, a touch of Heet and acetone just for luck, my, my, even the fuel should be cheaper, even with $5.00 + a gal. gas!!!!!!!

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast