Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: GAS/GLOW HOW TO....

ORIGINAL: marcin-rc

Who can recommend small walbro carb ? I have FT-160 to convert and thinking to use existing carb + Perry Pum for petrol
    Ooooo, i sure wouldn't subject a nice OS twin to gas/glow.[X(]

RS
    Rod S.

Just Fly It.
    SIG Brotherhood # 99
    Kadet Brotherhood # 141

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Flight Risk

ORIGINAL: marcin-rc

Who can recommend small walbro carb ? I have FT-160 to convert and thinking to use existing carb + Perry Pum for petrol
    Ooooo, i sure wouldn't subject a nice OS twin to gas/glow.[X(]

RS
    I AGREE TO OS WON'T LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WILL CREATE WAY TOO MUCH CARBON!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU WON'T BE HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS AND COULD SPELL DISASTER FOR AN EXPENSIVE ENG.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you read what I posted in Post # 439, you will see that I really don't recommend converting glow engines to gas, though converting them to Gas/Glow would be slightly better since Gas/Glow does run a little cooler than pure gasoline.

But, if you are determined, the Ryobi trimmers come with a quite small Walbro carb. The original carb won't work well with gasoline and will be difficult to adjust. There is another thread here in this forum where some guys are converting glow engines to gasoline.... You might get some ideas there.

AV8TOR
    If it is not SCARY, it is NO WHERE NEAR powerful enough!!
    All R/C planes have expiration dates---> It's just not printed on them anywhere!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

If you read what I posted in Post # 439, you will see that I really don't recommend converting glow engines to gas, though converting them to Gas/Glow would be slightly better since Gas/Glow does run a little cooler than pure gasoline.

But, if you are determined, the Ryobi trimmers come with a quite small Walbro carb. The original carb won't work well with gasoline and will be difficult to adjust. There is another thread here in this forum where some guys are converting glow engines to gasoline.... You might get some ideas there.

AV8TOR
    that's the whole kruks of the matter, our smaller glow engs. MUST HAVE AT LEAST A LOWER ROD BRG. for the eng. to last any time at all running on gasoline/oil and most just don't have big enough end of the rod to machine & fit a caged roller brg. in it. some guys are converting S.T. .90's and some larger engs. with some success. 4stks are just not a good candidate at all!!!!!![&o]

and 1 more thing, as far as fuel costs go, most of our 4stk eng. and pretty [sm=thumbup.gif]stingy on fuel anyway.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It is amazing, it works.
    My dead DLE 20 gas engine is revived with gas/glow conversion. This DLE 20 engine fall down with signal loss. I guess the signal loss is due to the ignition noise even though this plane has been flown for many hours. The ignition power is supplied from Hitec Optima receiver. Many, that time, said that 2.4 GHz receivers are safe from a ignition noise. After signal loss, I conclude that the cause is ignition noise which affected the receive malfunctioned. During flight, throttle channel did not work, but all other channels were working, then I lost whole channels. The plane with high speed running engine crushed fortunately onto soft mud. The plane fuselage, receiver, fuel tank, ignition, spark plug and servos were scattered away, but the engine apparently looks fine. I took out it from deep mud and cleaned. Now I am testing with OS F plug on CM6/OS F plug conversion kit, and fueld with Gas/Glow mixture. Thanks a lot for fujiman who supplied the conversion kit to me, and all other developers in this forum.
    Seeing is beleaving: http://youtu.be/N3Aspe8Tbe0
    Regards to all gas/glow conversoners

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Awesome choihjin ! Sorry about the plane but at least you saved the motor. All you have to do now is build another and you will be in the air again! Enjoy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well that's cool. We've been waiting for someone to try a DLE on Gas/Glow. Glad to hear it works out fine as we suspected.

AV8TOR
    If it is not SCARY, it is NO WHERE NEAR powerful enough!!
    All R/C planes have expiration dates---> It's just not printed on them anywhere!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: choihjin

It is amazing, it works.
    My dead DLE 20 gas engine is revived with gas/glow conversion. This DLE 20 engine fall down with signal loss. I guess the signal loss is due to the ignition noise even though this plane has been flown for many hours. The ignition power is supplied from Hitec Optima receiver. Many, that time, said that 2.4 GHz receivers are safe from a ignition noise. After signal loss, I conclude that the cause is ignition noise which affected the receive malfunctioned. During flight, throttle channel did not work, but all other channels were working, then I lost whole channels. The plane with high speed running engine crushed fortunately onto soft mud. The plane fuselage, receiver, fuel tank, ignition, spark plug and servos were scattered away, but the engine apparently looks fine. I took out it from deep mud and cleaned. Now I am testing with OS F plug on CM6/OS F plug conversion kit, and fueld with Gas/Glow mixture. Thanks a lot for fujiman who supplied the conversion kit to me, and all other developers in this forum.
    Seeing is beleaving: http://youtu.be/N3Aspe8Tbe0
    Regards to all gas/glow conversoners

thanks choihjin for your kind words regarding my plug adapters i made and sent you!!!!!! i'm so happy they worked so well for you! sorry about your plane tho! i'm happy to see that the dle 20cc puts out more power on gas/glow fuel, it will encourage more guys to go that route!
    thanks again for your kind words and your business!!!!! fujiman (SPIN-TRU LATHE & MILL)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

choihjin ,
    Is being a Circle Flyer a bad thing?
    Rex Birkinbine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

choihjin,

Something went wrong with my post. My question is, what type of soft mount is that in the video?
    Rex Birkinbine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for your concern.
    It is a Hyde soft mount, which I got from Centralhobbies; http://www.centralhobbies.com/Engine...s/hydmnts.html
    And also you can find my other threads in OS GT 33 in F3A forum.
    It really works well. The video was taken alone in the freezing morning. It is not well taken because I needed third hand; right hand holding tacho meter, left hand holding my smart phone. I could not control the throttle lever with my hand. And sound has some noise from loosen muffler. After tighten the muffler, sound is much better. I posted several more videos, which show OS GT 33 gas engine mounted on custom-made Hyde mount in my Smaragd F3A plane. You can find it in the forum of 'OS GT 33 gas in F3A plane', or you just click my ID and you will see my recent threads. Many are using this type of Hyde mount, a little bit econamically burden, but worth more than what you paid. The vibration reduction save a lot on all equipments and plane itself.

Regards

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So, when will we be able to go to our local hobby shop and pick up a gallon of this stuff for $7?
    Rod S.

Just Fly It.
    SIG Brotherhood # 99
    Kadet Brotherhood # 141

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well that's cool. We've been waiting for someone to try a DLE on Gas/Glow. Glad to hear it works out fine as we suspected.

AV8TOR

Hi, Gas/Glow conversioners;
    It is Spring.
    It is good season to fly, now I have taken a video for my gas/glow converted DLE 20 on a F3A plane, Accipiter 90, which I choose because of only available here in the time.
    To mount a China made DLE engine on Accipiter, four American-made parts were ordered from USA; a plug adapter from Fujiman, a back-plate from seaplanesupply, a wrap-around muffler from Jtechrc and a soft Hyde mount from centralhobbies. Thanks again to these four suppliers.
    The Accipiter has short-engine room, so I attached another back-firewall for Hyde mount and stand-off mount (photo attached). And I installed a auto-booster for OS F plug and programmed to operate in low idle speed.
    The engine and muffler were taken from the crashed plane which I mentioned above, so muffler is distorted and no ignition system. The Acippiter is good and very light for DLE 20.
    For easy starting, easy management, very powerful and economical for fuel expenses I am very delighted for gas/glow converted gas engine. I am enjoying to fly the Accipiter in these windy days. http://youtu.be/Cyquiy6UTDo

Thanks for your reading

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv64818.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	1734172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nj25568.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	1734173  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

four American-made parts were ordered from USA; a plug adapter from Fujiman, a back-plate from seaplanesupply, a wrap-around muffler from Jtechrc and a soft Hyde mount from centralhobbies. Thanks again to these four suppliers.
    It's interesting to know that some US parts are being exported to Asia.

Your plane starts and flys great in the video.

RS
    Rod S.

Just Fly It.
    SIG Brotherhood # 99
    Kadet Brotherhood # 141

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

AV8TOR

Hi, Gas/Glow conversioners;
    It is Spring.
    It is good season to fly, now I have taken a video for my gas/glow converted DLE 20 on a F3A plane, Accipiter 90, which I choose because of only available here in the time.
    To mount a China made DLE engine on Accipiter, four American-made parts were ordered from USA; a plug adapter from Fujiman, a back-plate from seaplanesupply, a wrap-around muffler from Jtechrc and a soft Hyde mount from centralhobbies. Thanks again to these four suppliers.
    The Accipiter has short-engine room, so I attached another back-firewall for Hyde mount and stand-off mount (photo attached). And I installed a auto-booster for OS F plug and programmed to operate in low idle speed.
    The engine and muffler were taken from the crashed plane which I mentioned above, so muffler is distorted and no ignition system. The Acippiter is good and very light for DLE 20.
    For easy starting, easy management, very powerful and economical for fuel expenses I am very delighted for gas/glow converted gas engine. I am enjoying to fly the Accipiter in these windy days. http://youtu.be/Cyquiy6UTDo

Thanks for your reading

hi Choihjin, great to see your plane fly on the you tube link, great job!!!!!!!!! also glad to see my 10mm to 1/4'' plug adapters are working great for you!!!!! keep em' flying!! HAPPY LANDINGS, fujiman (SPIN-TRU LATHE AND MILL)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would like to convert my Mark 1.8 gasser to the gas/glow configuration. Anyone know of a plug adapter for this engine?
    7KCAB driver
    AMA 911 CD/LM
    IMAA L54

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i sent you an e-mail. fujiman

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Whiskey Bravo, I have the same engine and the Mark 140. I was thinking of doing the same when I got the time. Also look here http://www.rcextremepower.net/ignitions.html . I purchased two but have yet to try them out. Adapters look good though.

Keeps us up to date on how it goes. If I remember I think someone else on the forum was thinking of doing the same.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: computermonkey

Whiskey Bravo, I have the same engine and the Mark 140. I was thinking of doing the same when I got the time. Also look here http://www.rcextremepower.net/ignitions.html . I purchased two but have yet to try them out. Adapters look good though.

Keeps us up to date on how it goes. If I remember I think someone else on the forum was thinking of doing the same.
    the problem with the china made (cheap) plug adapters is that they tried to make one fits all. by that i mean, they machine the seat area for both gasket type and tapered seat type applications!!!!! they don't seat or seal good. they made a mess on my engines with black oily goo.[:@] if your engine calls for a tapered seat plug ok, but if your engine calls for a gasket type plug, not so ok!!!!!!! if u-all want ones that work P.M. me!!!!!!

went to the afore mentioned web site and the 10mm x 1/4''-32p adapters are out of stock!!!!!! hmmmmm wonder why. they are hard to make, take time and care to make them rite. because of the sizes of the thread diam. inside and out. by the time you machine the outer threads (10mm) it leaves very little wall thickness after you cut the 1/4'' inner threads for the glow plug. it's risky business making these. once again i say P.M. me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had to drill my adapters out around the glo plug. There was not enough room to get a socket on the glo plug. Can't remember who I got them from.
    Rex Birkinbine

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

computermonkey- I have an adapter coming from fujiman, quick service, reasonable pricing, and best of all made in USA. I will let you know how the Mark does when I get it running.
    7KCAB driver
    AMA 911 CD/LM
    IMAA L54

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Whiskey Bravo
    Not really sure where these adapters where made. The two adapters came in a clear baggy with no label.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In order to maintain integrity, I opted to grind down a glow plug wrench instead of the adapter.

Mine is from Gene Barton. His adapter puts the bottom of the plug flush w/ the cylinder, thus the need to grind a wrench.

http://www.genebarton.com/accessories.html
    TFF
    The Flying Farmer - RCUniverse, RCGroups, & Spadworld.net

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: The Flying Farmer

In order to maintain integrity, I opted to grind down a glow plug wrench instead of the adapter.

Mine is from Gene Barton. His adapter puts the bottom of the plug flush w/ the cylinder, thus the need to grind a wrench.

http://www.genebarton.com/accessories.html
    A nut driver (Spintite) is easier to use and can be ground down to a thinner wall than the typical glow plug wrench. I think it is a 3/8 inch size. I use a nutdriver also to loosen/tighten the hex heads on my nylon wing bolts.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: computermonkey

Whiskey Bravo
    Not really sure where these adapters where made. The two adapters came in a clear baggy with no label.

things get a bit tricky when boring a pocket for the glow plug and the plug wrench. in the 10mm, you just can't go deep enough from the top to get the plug down to the level even with the bottom of the adapter without cutting THRU into the 10mm threads and cutting the adapter in half!!!!!!! the pocket from the top can only be cut deep enough and only down far enough to leave enough material for integrity of the adapter. so you have to cut a pocket from the bottom so the plug becomes un-shrouded.

on the 14mm to 1/4'' adapters the top pocket can be machined deep enough but the pocket CAN NOT exceed 11mm or a cut thru will result!!!!!! so what i recommend is either grinding down a nut driver as noted, or using a fox 4 way wrench (thinnest i have found) and taking off material on the plug end, just enough to get down to the plug for tightening and removal. i cut mine down on my lathe.

making these little parts takes time and care in order to make them right and ones that will seal and not leak!!!!!!!

see post #455 & #463 and click on the you tube links, take note of the adapter in that engine, then P.M. me if interested.

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast