GAS/GLOW HOW TO....

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 05:43 AM
The Flying Farmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GAS/GLOW HOW TO....

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

ORIGINAL: The Flying Farmer

In order to maintain integrity, I opted to grind down a glow plug wrench instead of the adapter.

Mine is from Gene Barton. His adapter puts the bottom of the plug flush w/ the cylinder, thus the need to grind a wrench.

http://www.genebarton.com/accessories.html
A nut driver (Spintite) is easier to use and can be ground down to a thinner wall than the typical glow plug wrench. I think it is a 3/8 inch size. I use a nutdriver also to loosen/tighten the hex heads on my nylon wing bolts.
That's exactly what I used. The crossbar glow wrenches aren't as hefty. I liked the thicker side walls of nut drivers.
Thanks
Old 04-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Whiskey Bravo
My Feedback: (31)

fujiman- Received your adapter, NICE work, thanks again.
WB
Old 04-13-2012, 08:53 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I've been digging on the internet planning to order a glow plug adapter for m 15cc Stihl trimmer engine I want to convert to gas/glow or all glow. Apparently the Zenoah Glow plug adapter #23445 is discontinued or not available. Does anyone know where one could be had for less than $20?
Old 04-13-2012, 09:03 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Contact Fujiman.

AV8TOR
Old 04-13-2012, 09:45 AM
fujiman
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

I've been digging on the internet planning to order a glow plug adapter for m 15cc Stihl trimmer engine I want to convert to gas/glow or all glow. Apparently the Zenoah Glow plug adapter #23445 is discontinued or not available. Does anyone know where one could be had for less than $20?
P.M. me.

(thanks, av8tor1977)
Old 04-13-2012, 10:28 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: fujiman

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

P.M. me.

(thanks, av8tor1977)
Will do, Thanks guys!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:51 PM
aero nut

Hi guys long time no see!!!
Hey Bob how are you doing, hope everything is well, I need your help, I am trying to contact FRANK BOWMAN to see if he can make me some rings for a DL 100CC engine, do you or anybody else knows how to contact him?
I would really appreciate your help on this one.
Happy Flying and Happy LANDINGS to all.
AERO NUT
Old 04-19-2012, 05:08 AM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

Frank C. Bowman
1211 N Allen Ave
Farmington, NM 87401-3568
[email protected]
Old 04-22-2012, 04:18 PM
aero nut

Thank you computermonkey!!!
Old 04-23-2012, 05:12 AM
computermonkey

Your welcome.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:02 AM
fatcharlie

Hello!

Great thread, thanks for passing on all the information.

Questions:

1) I'm in the UK. We have 95 RON and 98 RON petrol (gas) - would 95 do the trick or does it have to be 98?

2) I plan on fitting a gas/glow convefrsion in a Mud Duck. The plans call for a 90 Four Strke, although many have 120s in them. What size gas/glow - 25cc?

many thanks,

Roger.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: fatcharlie

Hello!

Great thread, thanks for passing on all the information.

Questions:

1) I'm in the UK. We have 95 RON and 98 RON petrol (gas) - would 95 do the trick or does it have to be 98?

2) I plan on fitting a gas/glow convefrsion in a Mud Duck. The plans call for a 90 Four Strke, although many have 120s in them. What size gas/glow - 25cc?

many thanks,

Roger.
20-30cc should be fine, if it's light enough. Do you have a specific engine in mind?

RS
Old 02-19-2013, 07:29 PM
computermonkey

So working with this engine for awhile I finally was about to give up on it when I remember reading this about a year or so ago and thought what I got to loose.
Hope you like the video, it tells the story of a bad engine made good.
Just a note: be sure to let your engine warm up, it does make a difference. I tweaked the fuel mixture a little to meet the characteristics of my engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2hkGiCYYwY

Old 02-20-2013, 05:11 AM
fatcharlie

Hi Flight Risk - no particular engine in mind, depends what becomes available when I need it!

Any recommendations (remembering I'm in the UK)?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:13 AM
fatcharlie

Any suggestions re. 95 or 98 RON? Can i use 95 in a gas/glow engine?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:31 AM
av8tor1977

The 95 RON should work fine.

AV8TOR
Old 02-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: fatcharlie

Hi Flight Risk - no particular engine in mind, depends what becomes available when I need it!

Any recommendations (remembering I'm in the UK)?
Hey fatcharlie. Are you thinking of converting a trimmer or blower engine and saving weight by removing the flywheel? Or getting an electronic ignition plane engine and run it on glow?
I wouldn't want to convert an EI plane engine to gas glow except to experiment. For a trimmer engine, you want something compact, light, easy to trim (grind, hacksaw), and easy to mount. There are many discussions here about homelite, poulan, etc.. I really like my little Kioritz/Echo 21cc engine. It's not a powerhouse, but it is so small, reliable, and has grunt. It spins anything from an 14x6 to an 18x8 prop and only equates to 1hp, but it pulls a 120" ws, 16 lb oldtimer/floater no problem. I'm guessing the big Mud Duck foamy will be about 10-12 lbs. and you don't want to blow the wings off.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:49 AM
fatcharlie

Thanks AV8TOR
Old 02-22-2013, 12:54 AM
fatcharlie

Hi Flight Risk,

I want to get an ignition motor and convert it to gas/glow by replacing the spark plug with a glowplug (using the approriate converter) and running it on 2:1 95RON gas to glow (glow has to be 10:10) I think.

It'll be in a Mighty Mud Duck, which will come out at between 10 and 15lbs, if my scanning of the forums is correct.

If you know the a/c, it's basically a huge slow flyer - I plan to do fpv/aerial photography/slow glider towing with it.

Ideally I'd find a small four stroke gas engine off a chansaw or leaf blower, but I know it would have to be a very small one!

My bro has an OS120FS which he'll probably never use, but I think he'll be keeping it as a show item rather tna using it (phillistine!!!).

But ideally, a FS weed wacker motor or similar.

I know with a FS gas engine, when converting to gas/glow, one has to get a pressure pulse for the fuel pump, and usually add a return spring to it as well - but ophter than that it all seems remarkably simple.

No ignition compnents, no flywheel etc. Cool!
Old 02-22-2013, 01:20 AM
fujiman

hi charlie. you'll like the gas/glow thing. more power than just gasoline (petrol) and lighter weight!!!!! let me know which plug adapters you would like, brass or aluminum. i made one for a man in S. Korea. he really liked it. so sending yours to UK should be good to go. fujiman
Old 02-23-2013, 03:18 AM
fatcharlie

To everyone - any advice please on what engine to get would be very much appreciated.

I prefer the idea of a four stroke for noise issues - quieter, and to my ear a gentler sound.

I've been looking at the Honda GX25 as a possibility - anyone converted one of these before to gas/glow?

I hope to get one second hand, but might have to stoop to buying one!

Any other FS gas engines, around 20 - 25cc, that people might recommend?

Thanks,

Roger.

To Fujiman - Hi Fujiman - I'll let you know when I need one, thanks :-)
Old 02-23-2013, 10:12 AM
av8tor1977

I really don't know how a four stroke would work on Gas/Glow, but I suspect it could be problematic because the four stroke engines don't keep the plug going hot like a two stroke.

There are Ryboi four strokes in the 25cc size range, but I don't have any experience with them, though I have heard they are low on power. Then there are the Honda four strokes as you mentioned. They are however rather heavy, and the power is also limited. If you get one, don't get the 25cc nor the 31. Get the 35cc as it is a newer and more powerful engine and the weight will be about the same as a 25cc.

The best choice I think, though they are hard to find, would be a Stihl Four Mix four stroke engine. They don't have an oil sump and are therefore much lighter than the others. Power also is surprisingly good. They make them in 32, 36, and 65cc versions. I have used the 32 and 36cc engines and I like them. I sold one 65cc Four Mix engine to a guy, and it runs/flies great. Amazingly, it has about the power of a Zenoah G-62.

Once again though, if you try a four stroke on Gas/Glow, you will be into a new area of experimentation as I don't think any of us here has tried it yet. I am somewhat doubtful of the results.....

Good luck,
AV8TOR
Old 02-23-2013, 11:27 AM
fatcharlie

Thanks for the reply Av8tor.

What's four-mix? I am guessing four stroke engine run on fuel mixed with oil like a two stroke. sounds ideal!

I saw your thread on the Stihl engines. Looks promising.

I'm particularly loving the Bridi Big Bee video - fantastic engine sound! Although i believe it's 65cc - a little big and heavy fro my prospective use in a Giant Mud Duck.

We get Stihl tools over here in the UK so I'll keep an eye open for something - maybe one of the 32cc will be ok? Otherwise I'll just have to build a bigger model... :-)

Btw, what's the model in your profile pic - a Hannibal?

Old 02-23-2013, 11:37 AM
fujiman

take a look at Shindiawa 4stk. it has some good tech and is pretty light in weight. has unique induction system, charges the intake thru the crankcase much like a 2stk which has a supercharging effect then the intake charge is channeled to the intake valve, ign. takes place then expelled thru the exh. valve. they seem to have good power. there was 1 on sale in rcu buy/sell eng. section but i think it has sold, haven't seen it there for a little while. check ebay outdoor/garden section sometimes you can find 1 there. how they mite do on gas/glow i have no idea. like to try one and see what happens!!!! keep 'em flyin', fujiman

one more thing on the shin. 4stk. they run 2stk type mix gasoline, no crankcase oil. they can be run in any position, even inverted which make them pretty flexible. can't remember what sizes they come. i do remember a 25cc was available. maybe a larger displacement one is now available????????
Old 02-23-2013, 11:50 AM
fujiman

note on honda gx25. they must be run in the upright or vertical position. they are a true 4stk eng. with oil in the crankcase like Briggs & Stratton type engs. they can be run on their side and inverted for just a SHORT time only and they are a heavy eng. for aircraft use. but sometimes with these bigger planes they need a little more weight up front any way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.