Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: GAS/GLOW HOW TO....

Hi all. Ive just ordered my plug adapter from fujiman. And Av8tor1977, thanks for this great forum. I have not read all of it, its so long. But can someone shoot me the contact info on the ring man? These weedie motors just have too much ring gap. Looking forward to seeing the before and after performance difference of my Stinger 120 with my weedie 25cc conversion.
    check yer six!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Google is great. Found the contact info for Frank Bowman.
    check yer six!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: warbird1947

thanks for this great forum. I have not read all of it, its so long.
    Awe, come on, only 550 messages.

Just Fly It.
    SIG Brotherhood # 99
    Kadet Brotherhood # 141

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: warbird1947

Hi all. Ive just ordered my plug adapter from fujiman. And Av8tor1977, thanks for this great forum. I have not read all of it, its so long. But can someone shoot me the contact info on the ring man? These weedie motors just have too much ring gap. Looking forward to seeing the before and after performance difference of my Stinger 120 with my weedie 25cc conversion.
    You're welcome!! We've had a lot of fun with Gas/Glow here.

If your present ring has excessive gap, you're in for a nice surprise when you install the Bowman ring. However, be advised that there is a neat mod for the Homelite 25cc engine. You send the piston to Frank Bowman, and he adds a pin to the ring land so that the piston ring cannot rotate, and makes a ring for use with the pin. Then you can grind out that bridge in the exhaust port for a nice power increase, besides the power increase his ring is going to give you anyway. Just remember to put a chamfer on the port edge to protect the ring and piston after grinding out that bridge. I've done this mod on numerous Homelite 25cc engines and it is well worth it. Also note that there is a Homelite 30cc engine that looks identical to the 25cc, weighs the same, mounts the same, etc. but makes a good bit more power. It does not have the bridge in the exhaust port from the factory, and in fact that is a quick way to tell a 25 from a 30; look for a bridge in the exhaust port.

AV8TOR
    If it is not SCARY, it is NO WHERE NEAR powerful enough!!
    All R/C planes have expiration dates---> It's just not printed on them anywhere!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's my latest "Full tilt boogie" Homelite 30cc. 9400 rpms on an APC 16 x 8. 8200 rpms on a Zoar 17 x 8. (This one is on ignition as the plane I built it for was already set up for normal ignition instead of Gas/Glow.)

AV8TOR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn37123.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	1904047  
    All R/C planes have expiration dates---> It's just not printed on them anywhere!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    av8tor... that thing looks great! After converting a stihl 20cc to run on gas/glow (i'm getting 7000+ on a MAS S2), I'm working on a 27cc Stihl to convert again (well, just to build a prop adapter that is). What rpm should I be seeing on a 17x8, or 18x8? I'm also getting Buzz from Magnum fuels in Denver to mix up some fuel for me, wondering what the "ideal" mix should be? I know stihl is designed to run on 50:1, so I was thinking about a lower oil content, 7% would end me up around 43:1... *I am thinking I could always add oil.... I can also have him change the nitro percentage. Is 10% the "ideal"? Or should a guy go higher? Or increase the compression ratio and go lower? (i'm turning my own adapters) I'm also considering going with full synthetic.... Anyways, let me know what you think.... I'm loving the gas glow conversion already......
    Last edited by hutchinstuff; 01-18-2014 at 08:51 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks!

Well the orginal Gas/Glow forumula of one part 10% nitro and 10% oil glow fuel to two parts of premium gasoline yields an oil content of close to 32 to 1. That's what I run most of my stuff at anyway, so I like that ratio. More oil doesn't hurt a thing, provides an extra measure of protection for your engine, and can actually make more power due to an improved ring seal and reduced friction. It has been proven in tests. Just my thoughts on the oil question. Whatever oil you use, be sure to make sure it is compatible with both the gasoline and the methanol. Some aren't. Mix up a batch in a clear container, shake well, then let it sit for a couple of days to see if you get phase separation.

As far as the nitro, you could mix up small batches of fuel and do some testing. Go up on the nitro until you experience detonation and/or start burning up glow plugs, then back off some. Remember the nitro mixing rule: Always add the nitro to the fuel you are mxing; NEVER add the fuel to the nitro.

It is a fun deal Gas/Glow. I have as much fun seeing the look on peoples faces when confronted with a running Gas/Glow engine as much as anything.

AV8TOR
    Last edited by av8tor1977; 01-19-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223