Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: GAS/GLOW HOW TO....

i tried 5% fuel. and if i remember correctly the proven formula has about 3%. the test piece didnt turn out that good. where i poured the fuel, the clear coat got sticky and after cleaning (dish soap and hot water) you can clearly see where the fuel was. I tried pure methanol, and the test passed. I guess i might have to just go ahead and do it....
    I hope they serve beer in hell!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I tryed running it with out the nitro. I worked great in my 3W 42 engine but it did not work at all in my conversion engines, and my Quadra engines. All my Quadra and conversions engines have good compression and Bowmen rings. I have no idea why it work good in the 3w but not the others.

I have just Rustolem paint on my planes and the nitro has done nothing to them. At the end of the day i clean my engines good too but no problem's with the paint.

Paul

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i was wanting to run this mix in my super tigre 40. So it probably doesnt have enough compression. Maybe i will mix up a litre of fuel and try it, so if it doesnt work, im not out much.
    Could acetone be an alternative to nitro? I dont have much access to nitro or much suitable glow fuel for this, so i have to brew my own mix. Im lucky that i found an oil that mixes with methanol and gas.
    Another thing. By not working, did the engines not run? or were they a PITA to tune and keep running reliably.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The thing about running this mix on a glow engine is that there will not be a nuff oil in it. The engines we run have berrings on the crank and it will run on the low oil If you do it to a ST 40 you will bern it up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am aware of that. Thats the main reason i have to "brew my own" Since gasoline has a higher viscosity than methanol, i will cut the oil down to 12%.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Av8tor, Had trouble keeping the glow plug hot on my Hommie so I ran a clip-on cap from the plug to one side of a on/off switch. Then ran the other side to the positive side of a 1.2 2200 milliamp batt. then ran the negative side back to the engine. Now when I go to start the engine, I turn the switch on & this keeps the plug hot. When I finish running the engine I turn off the switch. Of course after a few minutes the engine gets hot enough anyway, but I still have a hot glow plug & I can remove the battery to charge it up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jadec241

Av8tor, Had trouble keeping the glow plug hot on my Hommie so I ran a clip-on cap from the plug to one side of a on/off switch. Then ran the other side to the positive side of a 1.2 2200 milliamp batt. then ran the negative side back to the engine. Now when I go to start the engine, I turn the switch on & this keeps the plug hot. When I finish running the engine I turn off the switch. Of course after a few minutes the engine gets hot enough anyway, but I still have a hot glow plug & I can remove the battery to charge it up.

What glow plug are you running?
    Paul

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Av8tor, good to see you are still doing your good work. I have a question relative to fuel. Morgan fuel makes a "Super Tiger" fuel that is 10% nitro and 12% blend oil. Do you all think the 12% oil will work O.K.? Thanks for all the great info.

Big Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Paul, I am running a 4 stroke # 8 plug. After a minute or so of running the engine I can shut the switch off & it will remain running.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't think that the 12 percent oil fuel would change things enough to hurt, though I do recommend the 10 percent oil fuel.

AV8TOR
    If it is not SCARY, it is NO WHERE NEAR powerful enough!!
    All R/C planes have expiration dates---> It's just not printed on them anywhere!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I saw the post mentioning Morgan Fuel's (10/12) Super Tiger fuel, but can anyone mention other 10/10 or nearly 10/10 fuels by name that are commonly available? I could get the Morgan Fuel from TH, but I always like to have multiple sources for things. Plus, I usually try my LHS first and I'd like to know what to ask for when I walk in there. I just picked up a 5-year old Craftsman line trimmer with a 25CC Poulan engine (I know, not the best for conversion) that's destined to go in a plane.
    Basic Blinker Night Flyer Light Controller - Custom RC Electronics - www.wasatch-rc.com
    Current Project - TF P-47D "Bonnie"
    Completed Project - Alien Aircraft Taylorcraft "Pipeline Patrol"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 10/10 glow fuel is commonly called "Glow fuel for Large Super Tiger Engines" and is made by all the major fuel manufacturers.

AV8TOR
    All R/C planes have expiration dates---> It's just not printed on them anywhere!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can look in to car fuel too. It is very ezy to find car fuel that is 10/10. That is what I run in mine.

Paul

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also 10/8 car fuel works.
    Ralph

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a new Super Tiger 3000 I would like to try on this fuel brew. I can put a walbro carb on it and I know it has the bushed rod. My question is can the oil content be increased to keep the rod bushing from burning up or would it need a conversion to a roller rod bearing? Thanks, Gary

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The problem with that idea is that it effectively lowers the methanol concentration, or percentage in the mix. This can cause problems keeping the glow plug lit. You can try it and see what happens. If you have troubles, try using onboard glow power, set to come on at anything below 1/3 throttle. I don't think full time glow power would be needed, but you won't know until you try.

www.lambertsrc.com does Super Tiger bearing conversions.

AV8TOR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I dont see any problem using 10% oil I ran my Magnum 1.80 with tha conversion anf it ran perfect.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dose anyone know who has the glowplug adapters? Horizon no longer carries them.
    Thanks
    Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

CH ignition has them for about 10 bucs

Paul

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Paul. I made one out of the plug but it leaks around the glowplug seat.
    Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think that wackerengines carries them too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Could someone explain a bit on making the "glow plug adapter" out of an old spark plug?? Thanks.
    I didn\'\'\'\'t choose Mojo, Mojo chose me PRO BRO #1963

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It is a bit of a project, and a little tough to do because the shell gets very thin when it is opened up large enough to admit a socket or glow plug wrench to install/remove the glow plug.

But, here goes....

I carefully break out all the porcelin and remove it. I also cut off and grind smooth the ground electrode on the end of the plug. Take a socket that fits the glow plug, or your glow plug wrench, and grind off the outside diameter as much as you dare. You now drill out the upper part of the spark plug shell to that same size so that the socket or wrench will enter the plug. If you have trouble drilling to size without getting off center and breaking through the shell wall, you may have to drill it as large as you can, and then carefully grind it large enough so that your socket will fit.

Now braze the lower end of the spark plug closed, being careful not to get any braze on the plug threads. Grind the brazed end smooth and flat, and on the inside where the glow plug will seat mill the braze flat for a gasket surface. Now drill a hole in the braze and tap it for your glow plug. I plan things out so that the end of the glow plug will be even with the end of the spark plug in the comubstion chamber. The glow plug thread is a somewhat oddball 1/4" x 32, so you will probably need to buy a tap. Tower Hobbies and others carry them.

All in all a fairly involved process for a part that you can buy for around 10 bucks. I have made several, but then I gave up on it and started buying them. I understand Horizon Hobbies no longer has them, but it is a Zenoah part so perhaps they can be found at other Zenoah parts sources. www.ch-ignitions.com and www.wackerengines.com has some that they make out of aluminum I believe.

Good luck,
    AV8TOR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

if you want to play with your lathe, there are other options

when I make them, I stick the spark plug in the lathe and cut off the crip that holds the porcelin in, falls right out and trim this end of the plug to fit the glow plug driver/wrench. then flip it around and cut the threads to length (I've been using chevy 350 spark plugs since I get them for free, they have really long threads). Then I machine up an aluminum slug that's a press fit into the plug and leave a little lip at the end so when it's pressed from the cylinder side it can't be pushed through, while it's in the lathe it's drilled and tapped to 1/4-32 (I was cheap and just turned the threads on a long 1/4" bolt shank and cut slits on it with a dremel to make a tap, it's only aluminum)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If I were to do one on my lathe, I would probably just make the whole thing out of aluminum, though your method is fine.

AV8TOR

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast