Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Craftsman 32cc Weedeater

Does anyone know the best way to remove the nut on the end of the crankshaft that drives the weedeater? Has anyone converted one of these. I have one that a friend gave me because he broke the shaft by running it over with his tractor. I would like to try and convert it, if anyone has any info on it please share it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Craftsman 32cc Weedeater

Thanks for all of the replies but I got it off.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Getting the retaining nut off sometimes is hard...clamp flywheel in vise and loosen nut even with crank threads. A light tap with a hammer will loosen flywheel up most of the time. Capt,n
    I never met a engine I did not like !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Where is the best place to get a cdi ignition for this engine w/ auto advance? I know I am going to have to cut the shaft and rethread it because it is to long. Should I use a left hand thread when I rethread the shaft if I can find the tap and die set. I will also be making the prop hub on my HF 8x14. Any tips or ideas. I have already machined all of the extra aluminum off of the block and cleaned it up nice and modded the muffler with two exhaust stacks. Since this is a reed valve engine I had to trim all of the excess plastic from around the carb mount that bolts onto the rear of the crankcase. Also, what would be a good carb upgrade fro this engine. It has a Walbro on it now but I am sure it can be upgraded. I still have to cut the center out of the flywheel and machine it to a perfect circle to accomadate the hall effect magnet and make an engine mount and machine the coil mounts off of the head. This engine has already lost a ton of weight. I was even considering machining the jub a couple of thousanths to raise the compression ratio.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

a prop hub for a long shaft Ryobi with electric ignition should let you not have to modify the crankshaft and just use the stock nut to hold the prop on

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info. I will check into that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was actually just making a prop hub for one of these exact engines a few days ago, starting back on it tonight, if you have a lathe or other means of cutting the center out of the flywheel and putting the magnet in that, then all you need is a standard ryobi prop hub to get it going, from what I'm making, the prop hub needs to be about 1 3/4" long to mount at the front of the flywheel and bolt on a Master Airscrew 18-8 or 18-6 prop, it's basically just a spacer... I was trying for having just enough threads to get the prop on with a prop washer and not have too many threads left

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How about some pics for a few ideas. I do have a HF 8x14 lathe and was considering machining a one piece hub that would thread on and reach all the way to the crankcase and just drill a hole in it for the magnet. That way I do not have to worry about machining the flywheel. Please bear with me, this is my first conversion as you might be able to tell from all of the questions.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the part that's hard about the one piece thread on hubs is where the magnet will end up will change a lot assuming you don't use a key (can't really if you have a one piece thread on hub), the timing will eventually change on you after it runs for a while, what you can do is make a spacer hub like I just did and either cut the center out of the flywheel (some people use a hole saw then face it on the lathe), drill a hole for the magnet and mount the sensor with a hose clamp or something, the other option with this setup is to just make the piece that replaces the flywheel part, take a piece of round stock about the depth of the flywheel, probably about 1" diameter or thereabouts, cut a taper in the back with a boring bar, I've mainly used the trial and error method, ends up being around 9*, Ive probably not done it the standard way, but it seems to work, my boring bar is a piece of 1/8" HSS square stock I got from HF in the assortment thing they have for a couple bucks, I ground it so that it's 1/4 pie shaped, sharpened the end appropriately and go for it after spacing it up to center (my 7x12 uses 5/16" tools, so 1/8" is small and needs spaced up), a trimmed hack saw blade could probably be used to make the slot for the key, I've never tried it, all of the one piece hubs I've done have been for gas/glow, or the one I attempted to make a split ring to hold the magnet for... that didn't work out, will do it differently next time.

as for pictures, I'll head upstairs and grab my camera after a bit, I just finished the hub a few minutes ago and need some dinner

a couple notes, first you want right hand threads, with the engine spinning counterclockwise, the power stroke is pushing on the prop nut in the direction that tightens the nut, left hand threads are only needed if you want to switch the direction that the engine turns. the other thing I wanted to say is that I'm not sure it'll matter, but you might have trimmed too much off of the crankcase, it could need some of the support you cut off, when the piston is being pushed down, the crankcase is the only thing counteracting against it, since this engine doesn't have a bearing on the front and rear it's two bearings are both between the prop and piston, could eventually fatigue and break, but like I said, it could be fine, I don't know how thick that part of the case is anyway...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am not really fond of using an engine that does not have front and rear crank support, but what can I say, it was given to me. What do I have to do to do away with the remote primer bulb for the carb? Do I need to tap into the crankcase? You are probably right about the timing changing, I did not think about that. I guess the best route would be to just machine the center out of the flywheel.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

getting rid of the remote primer bulb is easy, you just plug the line that used to go to the fuel tank to return fuel, off the top of my head I can't remember if those push fuel through the carb or pull fuel through it, which ever line returns fuel to the tank, plug that one, usually some type of screw and a short piece of fuel line does the trick, or you can solder it closed...

using a cantilever crank is fine if the crankcase has supports, but you got rid of those, I'm sure it'll work fine, I'm just not sure how long, probably quite a while...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok, finally grabbed my camera from upstairs...

this is just the engine with my prop hub on and the prop, the hub is just a simple spacer that looks like a prop hub, if this is my final setup I'll probably put some loctite on the taper and mayabe some on the hub or shaft to keep things from working loose, or I might put a roll pin between the hub and flywheel to keep things from rotating... for a prop washer I might make one out of aluminum, or I might just use a fender washer... maybe I can find the washer that came on the thing, if not, they're easy enough to find at work...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca81383.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	1052339  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What sizes are the tubes or fuel line those 2 lines are I have the same engine but the fuel lines cracked and i need the sizes. thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the smaller of the two should be 3/32" and the larger 1/8", but that's on the stock carb on the one I've looked at the most...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rangerfredbob

getting rid of the remote primer bulb is easy, you just plug the line that used to go to the fuel tank to return fuel, off the top of my head I can't remember if those push fuel through the carb or pull fuel through it, which ever line returns fuel to the tank, plug that one, usually some type of screw and a short piece of fuel line does the trick, or you can solder it closed...

using a cantilever crank is fine if the crankcase has supports, but you got rid of those, I'm sure it'll work fine, I'm just not sure how long, probably quite a while...
    Use rivet & short piece of fuel line....treads on a screw can leak!
    I never met a engine I did not like !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

actually what I have used in the past was a brass wood screw that had a shoulder that I cut the threads off of...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks. Now I just need to reattach all of the lines. Can you tell me where each one goes. I took this engine apart like 6 months ago and barely started working on it again and I don't remeber where all the lines connect to.