Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

MDS 1.48 Deisel convertion

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 12:45 PM
3D'nPat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MDS 1.48 Deisel convertion

Anyone tried Converting a MDS 1.48 to diesel? or any other large glow engine? Any successes with them? A buddy of mine has a H9 1/4 scale Cub with the MDS 1.48 glow, You know how much $$$ it costs to run it :-) A G-23 would have been a better choice of engine for this plane, But he got the J3 second hand.
Please give me any Info you can on this idea, Thanks.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:00 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

I don't think you're gonna save money on fuel by going to Diesel, even if you brew your own fuel. Kerosene is relatively inexpensive, but ether is another story.

Converting to running on ignition and gasoline is an option, but you'll find the overall expense and end result not worth it. You'll be better off, in the long run, selling the MDS 1.48 (or use it on another project) and getting a gasser from the get go.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:27 PM
3D'nPat

Thanks Volfy for your info. My thinking was that it would use less fuel to get the same job done. With the additional power 30-40% form diesel and the ability to swing a larger prop he would be able to throttle back more. Plus I thought it diesel would eat less fuel overall flight time wis. Am I wrong?
Thanks Again.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:08 PM
LORD_RC
My Feedback: (1)

Interesting..... Ive never heard of anyone converting the larger glows to diesel. I would give Davis Diesel a call , see what they say.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:30 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

The only diesel conversion I've done is on a OS FP25 many years ago, so I don't know what a big one like that would do. My impression of diesel conversion is that you do get a little more power and burn a little less fuel, but it wasn't a significant change - certainly not the "doubling of power" that some vendors claim.

I didn't really like the diesel operation. It lacks the tweak-the-needles-and-go user friendliness and simplicity of glow fuel operation. Settings are finicky, and it's difficult to keep the fuel fresh for long periods of time. What killed it for me in the end was the availability of model engine diesel fuel. Do a search in your area for a good reliable (and hopefully cheap) source first, before you contemplate the idea any further.

There is a reason RC gasoline engines are enjoying a phenominal growth. Pump gas is cheaper than bottled water, and you can hit 12 gas stations on you way to the field. I recently bought two World Models 1/4scale Cubs, and IMHO gassers are the only way to go. Anything from 20cc-40cc should give power to spare on a Cub. I do have big glow engines but I would only go to those if I need maximum power-to-weight (e.g. 1.20 class aerobats).

BTW, that 1.48 should be plenty power for that 1/4 Cub. I would imagine you could fly it around at 1/4 throttle all day long. One way you could save money is by going to lower nitro content. I'm sure 5% or even FAI would be just fine for that application.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:38 PM
balsadust-3

Hi
I have converted some smaller eng. and bought some allready manuf. for the stuff disappointing in all cases not to mention stink and black stain I think this stuff would stain stainless steal ( only a little exageration but not much.) if you decide to try good luck and wear old pants and shirt.