Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

WEIRD MAGNETO PROBLEM SOLVED-Take note.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:26 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WEIRD MAGNETO PROBLEM SOLVED-Take note.

I bought a "lot" of used yard machines; weedies, blowers, and chain saws. The nice ones I am fixing up and selling for use in their intended purpose, and the others I am setting aside to convert.

Today I came across a strange problem with an Echo blower. The engine would start on the first pull, and idle all day. But when you gave it throttle, the intake would get louder, but the engine would go no faster than an idle. The carb was perfect, and I was left with only the idea that it had to be ignition, however unlikely that might seem. Sure enough, I changed out the coil/ignition unit and the machine runs perfectly. Why it had hot spark and would idle with a bad ignition unit I don't know. Perhaps this unit has auto advance and it was way retarded and/or not advancing. Anyway, I thought I would post about it here in case someone runs into a similar problem... might save them some time.

I will let you guys know if I decide to sell any of the engines I set aside to convert.

AV8TOR
Old 01-22-2010, 07:13 AM
j_t01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WEIRD MAGNETO PROBLEM SOLVED-Take note.

You are correct in your diagnosis. The coil has two sides. One works at low speed and the other advances for high speed. We see the high side fail from time to time and cause the same situation as you describe.

Jim
Old 01-22-2010, 11:20 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Learn something new every day.... Hopefully. Thanks.

AV8TOR
Old 01-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Nosedragger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rev limiting coil/mag failure, only happens on those, on non limited mags it either has spark or not.