RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Engine Conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/)
-   -   CDI gr8flyer55 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/10662258-cdi-gr8flyer55.html)

jakestew 12-02-2012 04:24 AM

RE: CDI gr8flyer55

> I can sent you a board but it takes 2 or 3 weeks befor you get the board.

I understand. I'm sure John will send me a board. I just want to make people understand that I can't actually test anything if I don't have the hardware.

I have a good motor setup now, so if I have the board I can actually test it on a real motor to make sure that it 100% works.

Changing forums is a serious issue though. I want your input. The whole project will move to where we decide. I don't want to leave anyone behind. There are several major RC boards, so we have to make sure we choose the best one.

-Jake

jpanhalt 12-02-2012 04:38 AM

Regarding changing forums, I do not spend a lot of time on model-related forums. This thread is about it. However, I occasionally go to RC Groups and its section on DIY electronics. That might be a good fit, as you suggested too.

As an alternative, you might consider Electro-Tech Online. It has several sub-forums, including one for automotive (http://www.electro-tech-online.com/a...e-electronics/). Although it says automotive, it is really for anything with an engine. There are several avid modelers who are active participants. It is vBulletin and quite accepting of different file formats. It's biggest advantage would be on the electronic end of the design, both analog and digital. I don't think the same level of engine expertise exists there as exists here, but if those interested join, then that resource will not be lost. There is almost no advertising on that forum.

John

Gompy 12-02-2012 08:08 AM

ORIGINAL: nyemi

ORIGINAL: Gompy

Uhhhh, smaller transformer.....the one I get from you and modify is 15x15mm.
Thats the one I use on the pictures above.

I just wind me own transformer 250x AWG33 and 2x 12 AWG25.
It fit on a 20x20mm E-core transformer.
360 Volt at 6 Volt, 283 Volt at 4V8.
This kind of transformers everybody can wind.
Using a normal transformer can't be, the e-core don't have a aircap !!
<span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''>I congratulate you</span><span>, Rob.</span>
<span class=''hps''>What are the</span> <span class=''hps''>secondary</span> <span class=''hps''>circuit</span> <span class=''hps''>are you using?</span>
<span class=''hps''>Doubling</span> <span class=''hps''>the voltage</span><span>?</span>
<span class=''hps''>You</span> <span class=''hps''>tested</span> <span class=''hps''>resistance</span> <span class=''hps''>inverter</span><span>?</span> <span class=''hps''>4.7</span> <span class=''hps''>k/5W</span> (~10000RPM) <span class=''hps''>switched</span> <span class=''hps''>capacitor</span> <span class=''hps''>to</span> <span class=''hps''>charge</span><span>.</span> <span class=''hps''>You</span> <span class=''hps''>diagnose</span><span>, inverter</span> <span class=''hps''>performance.</span>
</span><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''>If the</span> <span class=''hps''>capacitor voltage</span><span>, 130V</span> <span class=''hps''>below</span><span>,</span> <span class=''hps''>does not fall</span><span>.</span> <span class=''hps''>Proper</span> <span class=''hps''>performance of</span> <span class=''hps''>the inverter</span><span>.
</span></span></span><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''>Examples:
200V/</span></span></span><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''>4,7K=</span></span></span>0,0426A *200V=8,5W/166Hz(10000RPM)= 0,051J=51mJ </span></span></span><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''>Spark</span> <span class=''hps''>Energy.</span></span></span></span></span>
<span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''>160V/4,7K=0,034A*160V=5,45W/</span></span></span><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''>166Hz(10000RPM)= 0,033J=33mJ </span></span></span></span></span></span><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''>Spark</span> <span class=''hps''>Energy.
130V/4,7K=0,027A*130=3,6W</span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''>/</span></span></span><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''>166Hz(10000RPM)= </span></span></span></span></span></span>0,021J=21mJ<span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''> </span></span></span></span></span></span><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''>Spark</span> <span class=''hps''>Energy.</span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span>
<span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''><span lang=''en'' id=''result_box''><span class=''hps''>My opinion</span><span>:</span> <span class=''hps''>20mJ</span> <span class=''hps''>sparks</span> <span class=''hps''>of energy</span><span>,</span> <span class=''hps''>10000rpm</span><span>.</span>
<span class=''hps''>Appropriate</span> <span class=''hps''>model airplane</span> <span class=''hps''>engine</span><span>.

</span></span></span></span>
<span class=''hps''>Even a</span> <span class=''hps''>circuit.</span> <span class=''hps''>Very promising</span><span>.</span>
<span class=''hps''>See the</span> <span class=''hps''>picture.</span> <span class=''hps''>link:http://www.next.gr/inside-circuits/p...ter-l9896.html</span>
<span class=''hps''>I</span> <span class=''hps''>will start</span> <span class=''hps''>testing</span> <span class=''hps''>this</span> <span class=''hps''>out</span><span>.</span>
<span class=''hps''>In</span> <span class=''hps''>order to increase</span> <span class=''hps''>reliability</span><span>.</span>
<span class=''hps''>Components</span> <span class=''hps''>is</span> <span class=''hps''>necessary</span><span>.</span></span>

I just test the new HV-board with the 4k7 resistor.

I get with a 6 Volt powersupply 174 Volt this mean 36mJ of energie at 10,000 rpm.

gr8flyer55 12-02-2012 11:43 AM

Now I have lost 2 important postings. I will now wait till the 1840 project gets moved somewhere reliable before I send anything. This used to be a nice forum, not anymore. It took me over 2 hours of editing of pictures, instructions and board designs for my final post on this forum and it's gone. Oh well, if anyone can manage to figure things out from here on their own, good luck to you. I am finished, have a working board with half completed software, not what I would call a successful project.

John

jakestew 12-02-2012 01:15 PM

I just lost a big post too! Again! My fault *again* for not copying it before posting! Every time I do this I try to copy the post right after hitting submit, before it goes to the error message, then kick myself for forgetting!

Anyways, there is a new version B Excel file on my site. Pull-ups are turned off and the polarity is reversed on the kill switch. All I can verify at the moment is that the code compiles.

John, email me some pics and schematics and I'll put them up on the project web site.

> I am finished, have a working board with half completed software, not what I would call a successful project.

v1.0 is done! It works perfectly. We now have two versions for the different boards. I've put out software for two different boards each of which can run on two different processors. That's four softwares, two of which I've fully tested on an actual engine!

This is, by far, the most complete CDI project out there! Shake off the bad vibes from this stupid forum software losing your hard work and give yourself a big pat on the back!

-Jake

gr8flyer55 12-02-2012 01:50 PM

Jake, on the website, no matter which file you click on it goes to the first zipfile. You can't download the new spreadsheet you posted. Frustration has got to me again. I hate computers!!!!!

Nav-Aids 12-02-2012 10:28 PM

I've started a new thread for the 1840 on RCG: www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php
Please feel free to take a look or to move over to it. Any comments are welcome. I'll work on it some more tomorrow.

Ray

gr8flyer55 12-03-2012 05:08 AM

Doesn't look like anything is getting thru for posting here. I think RCU lost your post RAY. I got a subscription message saying you posted a message but it never got thru.

John

Gompy 12-03-2012 07:11 AM

Can somebody shut the door please......postings leave the forum.

w8ye 12-03-2012 09:32 AM

This link should take you to all the images in this thread?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gall...eadID=10662258

If you tell me which post it was supposed to be in, I can look at what you actually posted in the editor to see if anything is there?

Gompy 12-03-2012 10:08 AM

NOP, pictures are gone.

John, back online ?

gr8flyer55 12-03-2012 10:32 AM

I'm trying but it still takes over 15 minutes for the post to be sent. I get a "waiting on host server" message.

w8ye 12-03-2012 11:26 AM

Not having any trouble here. Everything is normal

gr8flyer55 12-03-2012 12:46 PM

Things are working for now I believe. Problem could have been at my end since I use my IPhone to access the forum. Tried a few things here and it seems to work. Maybe I can post a picture tonight. We'll see how that goes.

John

Nav-Aids 12-03-2012 07:37 PM

Well I'm going to try this again. Last night I sawmy post herebut today it is gone.
I started a thread on RCG for the 1840, I'll be adding stuff to it as I have time. All are welcome to come visit and to contribute to it.
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php or you can find it under (Aircraft - General / DIY Electronics / Programmable Open Source CD Ignition PIC1840)
I can use some help with the history and sorting out the versions anyway I hope to see everyonr over there.

Ray

P.S. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1781959

Gompy 12-04-2012 02:44 AM

??????????????????

Subscription: RE: CDI gr8flyer55 - by Nav-Aids | Engine Conversions
Nav-Aids at 12/3/2012 10:37 PM

The message can be located at:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11318726

jpanhalt 12-04-2012 03:00 AM

Some posts seem to be disappearing after getting e-mail notifications of them. What's going on?

John

Nav-Aids 12-04-2012 11:06 AM

Ok no one is allowed to post links to the new thread on the other website forum.

Ray

Nav-Aids 12-07-2012 08:18 AM

To switch the timing or use in-flight 'Kill' I'm going to use a R/C Switch. There are lots of different designs that you can make or buy. This one from Pololu is small and cheap. www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1210
Here is a good one if you want to make your own. www.rc-cam.com/bitsw.htm

You can use one of the circuits shown at www.rc-cam.com/bitsw.htmto ground out the Hall signal or to apply a low or high to any pin. In both cases above you just need 1 open Rx channel for each r/c-switch you want to use.

Ray

gr8flyer55 12-07-2012 09:29 AM

Thanks Ray !!
This is just what I was looking for. I believe the option to build your own will be more satisfying to the "builders" on this forum. I myself will probably go this route too since it has many other uses.

The problems with the newest B board I just tested are resistor related. Just changed a few values and it runs my engine with my original ignition board. Probably post the whole thing shortly so builders can get started on it. There were capacitor as well as resistor changes made to the first working B board for the newest B board. There are some very closely spaced holes on the board and you must make your parts choices carefully. Size does matter in this case. Usually I have no problems soldering small components, but this board being small presents some challenges, not impossible, just challenging!

John

Nav-Aids 12-07-2012 09:52 AM

Cool http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

I know what you mean about soldering small components and my bi-focals don't help. I do have a magnifing hood/goggles that I use, some of the parts I solder are SMDs and only 2mm x 3mm. My wife even threw some of my parts out because she thought they were dust. LOL

Ray

Nav-Aids 12-08-2012 05:38 AM

Have wedecided on a HV board yet?http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...n/confused.gifI kwnow what gr8flyer55 (John) is usiing but, what about everbody else?

Ray

Gompy 12-08-2012 08:22 AM

Jep, I'm waiting.....I'm only the board designer.

gr8flyer55 12-08-2012 09:16 AM

I thought we were using my original CDI board. The only thing I can see a problem with is the transformer I use, being a toroid, it is difficult for most people to wind. If we can find an off the shelf transformer that works with little or no modification, we have a circuit that already works. I've been using it for all but 30 years in all my planes.

John

Gompy 12-08-2012 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Untill ~8,000 rpm your board (I don't know if Adrian is thinking the same) will work.
Above ~8,000 rpm the board have not enough energie (mJ) to spark.
For jigsaw and weedeaters the board is OK, but not for high speed >10,000 rpm engines.
Thats why there must be a board who can handle also the real model engines.

A board like this for example, but I'm only the board designer.