RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Engine Conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/)
-   -   Aluminum Bottle Muffler (Pics) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/11392662-aluminum-bottle-muffler-pics.html)

oddy 02-01-2013 05:34 AM

Aluminum Bottle Muffler (Pics)

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone, good morning

I made my self a homemade muffler for my 33cc weedwacker engine out of some electric instalation general use materials for the header, and an aluminum bottle of Heineken.

Here are some pics.

Regards.
VÃ*ctor.

jester_s1 02-01-2013 06:23 AM

RE: Aluminum Bottle Muffler (Pics)

That's a neat fabricating job, but I'd worry about vibration breaking it off at the header. That's an awful lot of mass hanging out there to shake when you start that engine up.

earlwb 02-01-2013 08:23 AM

That looks pretty good. It was a very creative3 and imaginative ideahow you did it too. Do let us know how it sounds and works after you use it too.

spaceworm 02-01-2013 09:30 AM

Good job. What is inside? What did you use to seal the stinger at the outet? Thanks.

oddy 02-01-2013 09:48 AM

Hello

Theres nothing inside.... this muffler was made with the intention to have a low restrictive almost free flow muffler wich will allow me to maintaing same RPM´s I was getting of this engine with no muffler but being able to lower down the noise.

I´m hoping to have a little increase in RPM´s .......let you know on Monday after trying it on Sunday.

The stinger was sealed with JB Weld.

Regards.
VÃ*ctor.

av8tor1977 02-01-2013 11:01 AM

Pretty neat. I will be interested to know how it sounds and how it affected the power.

AV8TOR

bluejets 02-02-2013 02:56 AM

Heineken always gives me a headache so hope your engine likes it.

Agree with the comment about "all the mass hanging out there".

Might look ok but not practical.

oddy 02-06-2013 06:42 AM

Hello Everyone, very good results with this muffler.

Maintain same RPM´s as the ones obtained with no muffler ......7,500 RPM´s with a 18x6 wood prop.

In terms of noise, it really makes the engine very very quiet......comparable to a muffled 120 size commercial glow engine.

Regards.
VÃ*ctor.

av8tor1977 02-06-2013 10:46 AM

Great! Congrats on nice work and accomplishing your objective.

Now fly the hell out of it!! ;)

AV8TOR

fatcharlie 02-23-2013 03:35 AM

Hi Victor - any more news?

Did you have any issue yet with peoples' worries about support/lack of it?

Any chance of a video to see it in action?

Looks really nice - when you say there's nothing inside, I am guessing you mean just that - empty bottle with openings at both ends, but no restriction inside?

Thanks for your posts and I hope you get a chance to rpely to this :-)

Cheers,

Roger.

oddy 02-25-2013 12:45 PM

Hello Fatcharlie

Thats right what i mean is that there is no restriction inside, its just the empty bottle.

It works pretty well, it hasnt broke and I have already some 20 flights on it after installing this muffler.

The only extra modification I made was some more exhaust holes to make it even more less restrictive (Next one will have a bigger diameter output)

Im Getting between 7,700 and 7,800 RPM with a 18x6 Turnigy wood prop (I fly at 2,400 meters over the sea level)

Regards.
VÃ*ctor.

jp1961 04-09-2013 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used an aluminum hairspray bottle.

Jeff

jp1961 07-10-2013 03:33 PM

A member of my club has a DB meter, the Homelite 25 with the above hairspray muffler is 80 DB at full throttle (very quiet). I also measured thrust with a Rapala fish scale, 10 lbs of thrust with a 17x8 Xoar prop.

Jeff