RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Engine Conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/)
-   -   GAS/GLOW HOW TO.... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/8009384-gas-glow-how.html)

KidEpoxy 08-20-2009 10:22 PM

RE: GAS/GLOW HOW TO....

A Kart place said they were driving over to pick up some fuel from VP racing fuels (outside SanAntonio) and could get some methanol for me. I now am told the 5gal of methanol they got for me has the low low discount price of over $30. Crikey, I might as well be ordering 10/10 glow fuel on the internet and pay the hazmat. Oh well, burn&learn.... I'll know better next time. After all, how long can it take to run thru 5 gallons (crud, each gal meth yields 3gal GasGlow in my recipe :( ... I'm gonna need to get a bigger engine to use this up faster)

WILLIAMSPC 09-10-2009 04:30 PM

Has anyone had problems with the idle with the engine inverted? I have a Sthil weedy mounted in a senior telmaster and am having trouble getting it to idle below 1700. I just got new rings from Gene Bowman and the compression seemed to go up a lot.

the Wasp 09-10-2009 08:27 PM

I think 1700 is good

Jim

Ralphbf 09-10-2009 09:44 PM

A solid 1700rpm idle is very good.

What was the idle before?

the Wasp 09-25-2009 12:00 AM

av8tor1977 ,,, do you think this will work,,

mix 1 gallon of Magnum 30% heli (22% oil) with 3 gallons of gasoline,, that would make about 7% Nitro with about 5% oil per gallon,, or wouldn't we have enough Methanol in that mix ??

Jim

KidEpoxy 09-25-2009 08:50 AM

I may be setting the math up wrong,
but 1gal of 30/22 would be 48% methanol,
meaning a 1 + 3 mix would be 7.5%nitro, 5.5%oil, 12%methanol, and 75% gasoline

the GGL 1+2 mix using 10/10 means they are cutting 80% Methanol down to 27%.
This is the problem with trying to use high oil glow, as we dilute the Oil% with gas we also dilute the Methanol%

That is why I bought methanol, to turn local 20/20glow into 10/10glow
by adding meth to the glow before any GGL considerations
1g Meth($6) + 1g 20/20Glow($20) , + 4g Gasoline($10) = 6g GGL ($35)

... in hindsight, I should have just paid for the case of 10/10 & hazmat [&:]

deerhunter_deer 09-25-2009 01:43 PM

another good quote worth mentioning
"Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it"?

the Wasp 09-25-2009 03:29 PM

""meaning a 1 + 3 mix would be 7.5%nitro, 5.5%oil,""

well that's what I said, and that should be OK for a Gasoline Engine, so now the question is, is the 12% Methanol enough to make it work with a Glow Plug ??

Jim

Ralphbf 09-25-2009 06:29 PM

Sorry your formula should not have enough methanol to keep a glow plug lit.

There is a gas-line antifreeze called HEET, you want the stuff in the yellow bottle, not the red bottle.
It's basicly 12 ounces of Methanol.

You can use this stuff to make small batches of gas-glow fuel.
It works well for test batches.

I have found that glow fuel like 10-18 or 15-18 will work as gas-glow fuel.
But that is getting close to the upper limits. And it won't work in all applications.

Perhaps if you mixed your glow fuel with equil parts of HEET and then mixed it with gas, that would be a lot closer to what you need.

If you are useing it in a used low compression engine it may be pretty close.

The extra oil would help engine seal and the extra Nitro. would make up for lower compression, it's worth a try.

the Wasp 09-25-2009 10:45 PM

OK thanks, "not enough methanol" that's what I though,,

""If you are useing it in a used low compression engine it may be pretty close""

you know I have been wondering if I will have to lower the compression on my Super Tartan 44cc Twin to make the 2 to 1 Gas/Glow Mix work, I believe stock this engine has a 11 to 1 compression..

Jim

Ralphbf 09-26-2009 12:54 AM

Then you need even less Nitro maybe even 0%.
Ya know they sell it.

I believe you need less than 3% oil with roller bearings, I'm not sure what the Tartan has.

So if 3% will work in your engine you will need to get the oil percentage to 9% and mix it with 2 parts gas.

You are going to have to do the math on this one I'd hate to be wrong

the Wasp 09-26-2009 01:43 AM

yes my Tartan uses no Nitro,, sorry I should have pointed out that my question about the 3 gallons Gas to 1 of 30% was just random,,

as for oil percentage in my Tartan my manual says 5% oil for the Gas Tartans and 6% for the Methanol burning Tartans.

Jim

Dinkster 10-13-2009 12:35 PM

av8tor,Im glad to see you still have the gas/glow conversion page.Didnt there used to be more pages?Just wondering,I havent got to get on here forever! going through devorce and all,But guess who got the rc planes lol.I remember everyone talking about batterys to use so the rpm would stay low at idle,Also would be a replacement when starting for the glow plug.I did get to fly my 1/4 cub with the 25cc homelite,took off like a dream and real smooth but had a bad wind over the tree tops,blew over big crash,But its almost back together again.Just some front end damage.That and my prop should have ben a bit larger.Forgot about changing that.ouch!So whats the correct size prop and do you rememebr the batterys we was talking about? I didnt get all my small stuff when moved and cant find the old pages.Thanks again
Larry

av8tor1977 10-13-2009 04:24 PM

I usually run a 16 x 8 on my 25cc engines, but a Cub would most probably fly better on an 18 x 6. Using onboard glow power is optional. They usually idle slower and more reliably than a spark ignition engine, even without glow power. If you want to use onboard glow, I would suggest one of the "C" size 4000 mah Nimh batteries from www.cheapbatterypacks.com. They are only around 5 bucks, and will run full time glow for over an hour. If you use an onboard glow driver that cuts off the glow power above say, 1/4 throttle, the onboard battery would last for hours probably. But once again, that is optional, as they work pretty well without onboard glow power.

Good luck, and sorry about your divorce.... I am going through the same thing. [:o]

AV8TOR

Dinkster 10-22-2009 10:05 AM

Thanks again! Ill have to check out the site for the battery,sounds like a real good deal to me.

Flight Risk 10-22-2009 07:09 PM

Here's a weird thought, or not, speaking of on board glow drivers.
Could an engine run on pure gas and oil with no methanol, with an onboard glow driver?[X(]
Maybe it's been mentioned somewhere, but I missed it.

Rod S

the Wasp 04-03-2010 12:36 AM

hey,, did anyone ask if this Gas/Glow Mix would work in a Glow 4 Stroke ??

what yeeaa think ??

Jim

fujiman 04-03-2010 01:11 AM

i'm kind of think'n the fire mite go out because of the extra stroke they have and no methen. alky. that's why os and others came out with the "f" type plug for 4 stks. full time on board glow driver would probably be needed. even then, the eng. mite not run well. poor idle if at all, poor trans. to full trottle, etc. very sensitive needle adjustments too. i'm just sort of throwing all this up to all of you to get some responds. what do you think guys???????? i have not tried this myself.

they say "life starts at 50", ya, if your a redwood tree!!!!!!:(

av8tor1977 04-03-2010 01:17 PM

The Gas/Glow mix doesn't have near enough oil for a glow four stroke. There have been others experimenting with converting four strokes to gas and ignition use. A search will turn up several.

AV8TOR

fujiman 04-04-2010 12:01 AM

saito has a gasser. 2.2 cid i think. roller brgs. on rod.

box car 04-04-2010 05:14 PM

http://origin-images.rcuniverse.com/...30/Tr49739.jpg     Av8tor were you looking for a carb set up like this

fujiman 04-04-2010 05:28 PM

uh-la-la[X(] box car where can we get those cool looking intake manifolds??????:D and what eng. is that shown. are manifolds avia. for other engs.

av8tor1977 04-04-2010 07:11 PM

Hi,

No, that was someone else that had been asking about 90 degree carb manifolds and I told them that Clark out of Europe had them. They are nice. Why, are you wanting to sell that one?

AV8TOR

box car 04-05-2010 10:15 AM

That picture is a G62 0n a P-51 that a guy has in the UK. I ran across it doing some research on a P-51 exaust system. I am building a TF giant P-51 and I want to put a 50 or 60CC Echo engine in it with a Kelco P-51 exaust system and a 90 on the carb.

box car 04-05-2010 04:28 PM

<font color="#00265e">http://www.toni-clark.com/ftp/e-Kat_11_2008.pdf</font>this is who has the 90 bend