RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Engine Conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/)
-   -   GAS/GLOW HOW TO.... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/8009384-gas-glow-how.html)

av8tor1977 04-12-2011 11:30 PM

RE: GAS/GLOW HOW TO....

Yeah we did!! I can't believe I did all the first Gas/Glow experiments and flight tests with my 72" Katana!! I must have made 30+ dead stick landings with that plane trying out different setups developing the Gas/Glow system. Tried lots of different combinations until I was happy with the system. But it was worth it! All these years later, that plane still flies Gas/Glow, and runs perfectly.

Just look what you started Bill!

AV8TOR

The Flying Farmer 06-02-2011 05:50 AM

I just converted a homey 25. I love it!
I was wandering if since there's no interference from the ignition, could I mount my throttle servo on the air intake shroud as I don't have the carb rotating piece?
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/...r/214b4b08.jpg
I could easily mount it on top of the black plastic of the original air cleaner and it would also act as a velocity stack?
TFF

av8tor1977 06-02-2011 09:24 AM

Yep, no problem. Just as always, no metal to metal connections that could vibrate and cause RF interference, and always range check a new installation. The servo will probably be subject to more vibration in your intended location though...

AV8TOR

the Wasp 06-07-2011 05:49 PM

hey av8tor1977 check this out,, for $130, and running it on the Gas/Glow mix would lighten it up,, do you think it would be to heavy for my For Star 60 ??

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...22&item_id=464

the Wasp 06-07-2011 06:05 PM

OK, lets compare it to the Super Tiger 90,,

it's 42oz complete w/Inition, Muffler and mount,, while the Super Tiger 90 is 27oz w/Muffler,,

now subtract 5 oz for the Ignition, and add 2oz to the Tiger for the Mount

I think it will work in the For Star

Jim

av8tor1977 06-07-2011 10:29 PM

Sure, it should work fine.

AV8TOR

jrjr2u 06-22-2011 04:34 AM

What are you guys using for a fuel pump to fill the tank? I find either gas or glo but nothing rated for both.

captinjohn 06-22-2011 05:59 AM

Gas/Glow engine....here is a test I did with mine! Capt,n http://wn.com/engineman327

fujiman 06-22-2011 10:04 AM

hi captinjohn, what # carb are you running on your mac gas to glow engine? also did you convert carb. parts for alky. fuel and are you having any probs. with rubber parts swelling fron alky. in the fuel?

captinjohn 06-23-2011 08:07 PM

It was just the stock carb that came on the engine...if I remember correctly. The carb seem to be unaffected by the methanol in the glow fuel and gas that was used. I let that engine go for next to nothing...the bearings was going south. But it had a real tough life as a test engine!. Capt,n

jrjr2u 08-05-2011 05:06 AM

Hi all
I just ran a 25cc Homey on gas/glo. I ran it on gas/oil and then opened both H & L one turn. The thing runs perfectly! I didn't see any smoke though. Also, I tried the pinch test for rich/lean and got no rpm increase which on a glo engine would determine the motor is running lean.

Is the pinch test applicable with the homey on gas/glo? Just curious if anyone else has tried the pinch test. I didn't have any further time to try tuning but was just wondering about this particular procedure. Super Tigers insist on this method of tuning. Cheers!

av8tor1977 08-05-2011 08:05 AM

Generally the "pinch test" is not used on gasoline powered engines and doesn't work well, even on Gas/Glow. It is because the Walbro/Zama carbs have a fuel pump and a regulated delivery of fuel in the carb itself, and will attempt to maintain the mixture they are set at, right up to the point where they quit by fuel starvation from you pinching the fuel line. Best to use a tachometer to set the high end, and set the low end by ear and by throttle response testing. Set the high end for max rpms, then richen about 1/16 of a turn. Gas/Glow engines have a unique sound to them when running and tuning. What sounds like misfiring is usually a too rich (or sometimes too lean), mixture. They don't seem to have the classic four stroke rich burble in the literal sense of the word/sound.

Note: To reiterate something I have mentioned before, Zama carbs are not recommended for Gas/Glow as in my experience the diaphrams in the Zama carbs deteriorate in a short time after being exposed to the Gas/Glow fuel mix. The Walbro carbs work fine.

Also, none of my Gas/Glow engines "smoke" either.

AV8TOR

jrjr2u 08-05-2011 12:48 PM

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

Generally the ''pinch test'' is not used on gasoline powered engines and doesn't work well, even on Gas/Glow. It is because the Walbro/Zama carbs have a fuel pump and a regulated delivery of fuel in the carb itself, and will attempt to maintain the mixture they are set at, right up to the point where they quit by fuel starvation from you pinching the fuel line. Best to use a tachometer to set the high end, and set the low end by ear and by throttle response testing. Set the high end for max rpms, then richen about 1/16 of a turn. Gas/Glow engines have a unique sound to them when running and tuning. What sounds like misfiring is usually a too rich (or sometimes too lean), mixture. They don't seem to have the classic four stroke rich burble in the literal sense of the word/sound.

Note: To reiterate something I have mentioned before, Zama carbs are not recommended for Gas/Glow as in my experience the diaphrams in the Zama carbs deteriorate in a short time after being exposed to the Gas/Glow fuel mix. The Walbro carbs work fine.

Also, none of my Gas/Glow engines ''smoke'' either.

AV8TOR
Yours don't smoke - check
set high end with tach - check
Pinch test not applicable - check ( I understand about the pump)
I have a new 11mm Walbro carb on it. The reason I pinched the line in the first place was that at zero throttle the engine would not quit and while I was there doing that the pinch test popped in mind. There is no hole in the butterfly that I could see either to allow idle to continue. Either I have an air leak somewhere or ..... what else could it be I wonder that stops it from shutting off?

The Flying Farmer 08-05-2011 03:14 PM

Jrjr2u

I too have a homey 25 on gas/glo

I have to manually choke it to kill it. If yours is like mine, the carb can't close enough to kill it in my experience. BTW my engine is tuned correctly.

Have fun and welcome to gas/glo;)

av8tor1977 08-05-2011 03:24 PM

Yeah, I've had that happen.... It's funny when they are idling so slow you can almost count the prop blades going by, and they just keep idling, even with the butterfly "shut". When that happens, it is best to just go ahead and choke it to kill it as mentioned above. You might be able to loosen the screw on your carb butterfly, and carefully adjust the butterfly to fit more tightly in the carb bore. Then add a little Loctite to the screw, and tighten it back up. This might get the butterfly sealing well enough to shut the engine down.

Also, if you are new to Gas/Glow, please be careful because they WILL start and run in reverse sometimes unless you are using an electric starter to start them. They will run just as well in reverse as forwards.

AV8TOR

spitncobra 08-05-2011 09:51 PM

Wow what a deal you can barely buy good ignition kits for that price.Anyone know whats going on with Carr engineering.Its midnight here .I will be buying one of those engines tomorrow morning.If there still available....let er rip

jrjr2u 08-06-2011 04:10 AM

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

Yeah, I've had that happen.... It's funny when they are idling so slow you can almost count the prop blades going by, and they just keep idling, even with the butterfly ''shut''. When that happens, it is best to just go ahead and choke it to kill it as mentioned above. You might be able to loosen the screw on your carb butterfly, and carefully adjust the butterfly to fit more tightly in the carb bore. Then add a little Loctite to the screw, and tighten it back up. This might get the butterfly sealing well enough to shut the engine down.

Also, if you are new to Gas/Glow, please be careful because they WILL start and run in reverse sometimes unless you are using an electric starter to start them. They will run just as well in reverse as forwards.

AV8TOR
I will try the butterfly adjustment but if it doesn't work it's not a deal breaker. I do use an electric starter so that should work out fine. I am going to be looking for a larger chainsaw motor in the 62cc range for a 1/3 laser soon..... that will have to be hand started I expect.

av8tor1977 08-06-2011 11:30 AM

I have a 50cc Echo twin cylinder engine (home-made) running on Gas/Glow. It runs just super, but my starter won't turn it over so I hand prop it. Sometimes it will start in reverse. I have had it happen that upon trying to shut it down by closing the carb completely, it will idle down super slow, then back fire and take off running in the correct direction! I then throttle up and go flying, but it never ceases to amaze me when it happens.

It's just that if you use a tie down or starting fixture that only prevents the airplane from moving forwards, having it start in reverse could be an unpleasant surprise, especially if you have the throttle setting a bit high.

AV8TOR

jrjr2u 08-06-2011 12:07 PM

Dualy noted.
I will advise my 'Starting Fixture' when the occasion arises. :)

CustomPC 08-23-2011 05:48 PM

Aside from a needle adjustment, is there any issues going back to 100% gas after running with gas/glow?

I have an NGH GT17cc which i want to try with ggl.
On 100% gas it's comparable to a Saito 1.00 for power and performance but the weight can be an issue on the typical .60 sized models that this engine is most suited for.

I think it would be a perfect candidate because it would save 8oz in ignition and battery and it already uses 1/4x32 plugs so an OS-F would screw straight in without adapter.

I also going to be testing the Enya Gasoline glow plug. I'm just waiting for a new cylinder head that has been tapped for the different thread size to arrive.

I use the SPL Avenger oil in my glow engines (www.splube.com) with excellent results

The avenger blends with methanol and gasoline so i've ordered a custom batch of 10/10 fuel from my supplier.

fujiman 08-23-2011 05:56 PM

cured many a problem when i switched to ENYA glow plugs #3 or #4 in my glow engs.

Flight Risk 08-23-2011 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: CustomPC

On 100% gas it's comparable to a Saito 1.00 for power and performance but the weight can be an issue on the typical .60 sized models that this engine is most suited for.

Sort of funny.
It's made to power a 60 - 90 size plane, but will fit in a 90 - 1.40 size plane. :D
http://www.ibcinyourc.com/store.php/...7cc_gas_engine

RS

CustomPC 08-26-2011 12:59 AM

I thought i'd post an email i sent to Redline Oils and the reply i got back from them.

Someone else might find it useful.

My Email to Redline
Hi,
I run your 2-stroke racing oil in my 2-stroke model aircraft engines on gasoline with great results.
I'm going to start experimenting with a gas/methanol blend with a glow plug ignition. The tried and proven formula is 66% Gasonline, 27% Methanol, 3.5% NitroMethane and 3.5% (30:1) oil.
Is your 2-stroke racing oil soluable in Methanol?
Would it be the best oil for this application, or should i look at your pre-mix alcohol oil?

Redline's Reply,
Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, we checked that fuel mixture, the Two Stroke Race Oil is marginally soluble so you would need to mix a sample to verify.
The variable is the gasoline used and it's aromatic content, whether it is soluble in the methanol, if soluble the oil and nitro should be as well, could be slightly hazy though significant shouldn’t settle out.
The Two Stroke Alcohol Premix would be completely compatible and soluble with typical gas, methanol and nitro mixtures.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

av8tor1977 08-26-2011 08:50 AM

Interesting info. Thanks!

AV8TOR

CustomPC 08-31-2011 11:32 PM

I have some more questions.

Does running methanol benefit from a larger carburettor bore?

ie, if i had a gas engine which was "over carbed" would it benefit from ggl or hinder it?

My NGH has bushes on the rod and not needle bearings. I've read that this is not so much an issue with gasoline at 30:1 due to inherent lubricity of gasoline.
The gas glow mix will be a much drier fuel, so should i look at a mix that runs at about 25:1 oil?