RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Engine Conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/)
-   -   GAS/GLOW HOW TO.... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/8009384-gas-glow-how.html)

Joespeeder 10-06-2011 12:14 PM

RE: GAS/GLOW HOW TO....

Hey Guys,

I'm a total newbie to gas let alone Gas/Glow.

Would the DLE-20 be a good candidate for this conversion?

Any video, insights or thoughts about the DLE-20 on the Gas/Glow mix would be a great help.

Joe

av8tor1977 10-06-2011 01:41 PM

Hi,

Nobody has reported in about using DLE engines on Gas/Glow, though I am sure they would work fine.

I might suggest though, that being a total "newbie" to gas engines, that you get a little used to gasoline engines before jumping into Gas/Glow. Gas/Glow isn't difficult, but I think one should have some gas engine experience before setting up a Gas/Glow engine. They are a touch more sensitive to improper carb mixtures, they can start backwards sometimes.... go gas first.

AV8TOR

Joespeeder 10-06-2011 03:18 PM

Thanks av8tor1977,

Thanks, sound advise indeed. I have 2 new engines (one of them the DLE-20)waiting to convert current planes from electric and 2 new planes that will be getting gas engines during this winters build season. I've really enjoyed electrics but I'm REALLY geeked to get the long flight times gas will allow.

I have the support of some good engine guys at our club and will check in here in the forums as I learn.

Keep up the great work here.

Joe

spitncobra 10-06-2011 05:57 PM

AV8TOR super sound advice .I have read many of your posts and your always right on the nose.Nothing like experience
enjoy your DLE great engine.Have a great daY everyone........Ricospitncobra

av8tor1977 10-06-2011 07:23 PM

Thank you! I just try to help....

AV8TOR

philbaker 10-21-2011 06:56 PM

Is it possible to run four stroke glow engines eg. OS 120FS on this gas/glow mixture?

av8tor1977 10-21-2011 08:04 PM

I personally have no experience with Gas/Glow and four stroke engines.

As to your question directly, the Gas/Glow mix ends up with an oil ratio of about 32:1, which is not enough for a bushed rod, glow engine whether it be a two stroke or a four stroke.

AV8TOR

the Wasp 10-27-2011 02:09 PM

hey,, just another aspect to look into,,

so 1/3 Gallon of 15% Glow will cost you/me about $6 or $7,, maybe more,,

and 2/3 Gallon Gasoline will cost around $3,,

so lets round it off to a total of >>> $9 a Gallon

but you can buy Straight Methanol for $35 for 5 Gallons, this comes to $7 a Gallon,, NOTE>>> with straight Methanol you need to buy/add your own Oil
-

NOW,, lets say you are going to mix by the Gallon,, you need 3 Gallons

1 Gallon 15% Glow Fuel,, $20

2 Gallons Gasoline,,, $8

total is,, $28

3 Gallons of Methanoll from your 5 Gallon Pail is $21 + Oil

now the down sides here are,,

1) Methanol Prices may vary ,,

2) the Glow Fuel comes with oil, while you will have to buy Oil for the Methanol,,

BUT on the other hand, I did price Methanol in my home town 2 or 3 years ago and it was $130 for 30 Gallons,, that comes to $4.33 a Gallon,,

so the moral to the story,, is,, depending on Methanol Prices in your home town you may want to just buy and burn Straight Methanol,,, add Oil

Jim

av8tor1977 10-27-2011 07:16 PM

An engine burns TWICE the amount of methanol as it does gasoline. That is just a physical fact. So you have to double your price comparison on the methanol side. And you have left nitro out of the mix entirely. The mix only has about 3% nitro, but that is enough to help idle, throttle transition, and power.

AV8TOR

the Wasp 10-27-2011 07:24 PM

oops,,, dang thats right,,, never mind, my bad [:-]

Jim

philbaker 10-28-2011 01:06 AM

What does the gas/glow mixture do to fuel tank bungs?

jrjr2u 10-28-2011 02:59 AM

Gas will eat up a glo bung. Sullivan makes a bung compatible with either gas or glo. That's what I use. I also use neoprene tubing. Seems ok so far.

the Wasp 11-14-2011 06:28 PM

(Edited)

av8tor1977,, I have an OS 70 Heli Engine coming,, I'm thnking about converting it to the Gass/Glow Mix,,,what do you think ??

first, mounting the Walbro Carb wont be to hard for me (unless the Carb is simply to large) cause I have a Lathe so I can make a Manifold

I want to do this for a Scale Heli Project, so I want the Lower Oil Percentage for less Smoke, so what I'm wondering is if the Cylinder Liner will hold up to the Lower oil Percentage,,, what you think ??

yes yes I know to do it right I need a Needle Bearing for the Rod, and I wont know if there is Room in that Case for a Rod with a Needle Bearing until I have the Engine

sOo if I find beforehand I can't get it all to come-together before I start the conversion I simply wont touch it and put it in a plane

what you say
Jim

av8tor1977 11-16-2011 09:32 AM

Sorry guy, I can't give this one my blessing. I am not too excited about converting any glow engine to gas use, even on the Gas/Glow system. Especially on a helicopter. Gas, and Gas/Glow, run much hotter than pure glow, and the glow engines just aren't designed for it. They don't have enough cooling area, and even if they don't have problems running, will probably carbon up over the long run due to the heat factor. Plus, you really have to add oil to the mix to have at least nearly the oil content the engine was designed for, unless you change to roller bearings on the rod. So the extra heat, and high oil content lead to carbon build up. And if you do run enough oil to keep the engine alive, it is going to smoke like a glow plane anyway, so no gain in your case.

I would stick with glow in this application. Some have done these "glow engine to gas" conversions with varying degrees of success, but who knows what their engines look like inside after a season or two of flying, if the engines last that long....

Just my opinion..

AV8TOR

the Wasp 11-16-2011 01:01 PM

yeeaa thanks, that's what I thought you would get at,,

wouldn't you know iit doesn't matter anyway, I got the Engine today and about 30 seconds in my hand I knew it was totally shot, needs a total Rebuild,, sheee,, surely the guys had to know

I still would like to keep it for a plane if he will help with new parts, I gave him a Brand New never started Engine for it

I hope I can get my Engine back

Jim

vasek 11-16-2011 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: the Wasp

I hope I can get my Engine back

Jim
good luck with that, I mean really, good luck with that!

ricky510 11-16-2011 05:53 PM

i have a gms 47 engine and ineed a carburator for it does any one know where ican get one or are they any other carburator fit this engine

av8tor1977 11-16-2011 11:32 PM

Is the carb lost, gone? Because there is a "fix" for the original carb. I believe it is in the glow engine forum, and involves drilling out an improperly placed hole in the carb inlet. Don't quote me on that, check in the glow forum. I fixed a GMS .47 with a carb problem for a friend a few years ago, and it worked perfectly afterwards, but I can't quite remember exactly what was involved. I think maybe I had to shorten the high speed needle a bit too....

AV8TOR

av8tor1977 11-17-2011 10:01 AM

If the carb is lost, then you can try here, but it will cost you almost as much as the engine sells for: http://www.perrypumps.com/prod01.htm

E-bay?

AV8TOR

choihjin 11-23-2011 02:37 AM

Dear the Gas/Glow conversioners;
Many thanks for all this forum members to research and develop the gas/glow conversion issue, specially for AV8TOR who organized all valuable results.
Now I am joining in this conversion hobby. I was thinking to convert DLE 20 with CM 6 plug to gas/glow, not standard 14 mm plug.
Already many wanted to convert CM 6 to OS F plug. It was not easy due to space issue.
Finally I just communicate with Fujiman, who has the conversion kit. He willingly help me to solve this conversion problem, for helping me to make happy, not for making profit.
I really thank to Fujiman for his generous help.
And through RCUniverse, I met several experienced American RC professionals, Matt K for gas powered F3A pattern plane, Merle Hyde for Soft mount, and his son Famous Chip and all who read these theads.
Thank you everyone.

fujiman 11-23-2011 09:02 AM

GLAD TO BE OF HELP!!!!!!!!

Bill (fujiman)

av8tor1977 11-24-2011 10:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Might be a good time to do a little history on Gas/Glow for the newcomers. Credit for the original idea must go to Aeronut. He did something I never would have thought of, in trying a glow plug with gasoline in a gasoline engine. To his, and probably everybody's surprise, the engine ran. So I decided to try it. We found that while the engine would run, it wouldn't really run properly. That's when I decided to try E-85 gasahol. But I wasn't happy with how the engine ran on that either. So I reasoned that the poor running characteristics were probably the result of the lack of methanol, which creates a catalytic reaction with the platinum in the glow plug, helping it to get hot.

So I sat down and did some math, and found that if I mixed one part of 10% oil, 10% glow fuel to two parts of gasoline, that the mix would end up with somewhere around 33% methanol, about 3% nitro, and approximately a 32:1 oil mixture without adding any oil. That sounded promising, so I decided to try it, and found some "Glow fuel for Large Super Tiger Engines that had the 10% oil - 10% nitro mix and made up a batch of Gas/Glow fuel. To my surprise and delight, it worked very well. As all of us continued to experiment with it, we discovered the other little intricacies of making it work well and reliably, such as using an OS Four Stroke glow plug, using premium gasoline in the mix, sometimes raising the regulator lever in the carb to help it go rich enough, etc.

Thanks to all that helped in the experimenting and contributed their info. It is a pretty neat system, and I have had a lot of fun with it over these past few years. It was originally so interesting partly because back then an ignition system cost around $140.00. Now the ignition systems are much cheaper, but I still have several Gas/Glow planes going, including a big 50cc twin cylinder engine made out of two Echo 23.6cc engines on my Giant Stik.

And most of all, thanks to Aeronut!!

(Note that some people have successfully used gas, and gasahol (E-85), by using full time glow power to the glow plug.)

Happy Thanksgiving guys!!

AV8TOR

fujiman 11-24-2011 11:31 AM

MUCHO THANKS av8tor1977, this is a truly a ground breaking thread for sure. puts a new spin on what these gassers will run on. it has been a boon for my lathe and mill home business!!!!!!! because of this thread i'm able to make and sell hi-quality spark plug to glow plug adapters 14mm and 10mm to 1/4''x32p with new gaskets, and those that require a tapered seat, plus prop hubs for guys here in rc universe!!!!!!! thanks to ALL who have taken advantage of my service. i'll never get rich doing this but it is fun and fills my time now that i'm retired!!!!!!!!

SO ONCE AGAIN THANKS TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!! FUJIMAN

MAYBE ONE OF THESE DAYS I'LL BE ABLE FIGURE OUT HOW TO TAKE PICS OF MY ADAPTERS THEN POST THEM IN MY AD!!!!!!!!!

rexbirk 11-24-2011 12:48 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

marcin-rc 11-25-2011 01:32 PM

Who can recommend small walbro carb ? I have FT-160 to convert and thinking to use existing carb + Perry Pum for petrol