RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Engine Conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/)
-   -   GAS/GLOW HOW TO.... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/8009384-gas-glow-how.html)

captinjohn 10-07-2008 04:41 PM

RE: GAS/GLOW HOW TO....

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

Careful with that.... Using muffler pressure on a gasoline engine makes me nervous. One spark or piece of glowing carbon gets to the fumes in the gas tank and boom! If you want to use a glow carb, better to use a pump such as a Perry, or maybe one made from a Walbro carb like we discussed before.

AV8TOR
I may be wrong...but a piece of glowing carbon would be hard to travel through a line that has oil reside in it and the line would be kinda long, because main tank would be on center of gravity. A simple little in-line fuel could be there to to stop whatever. So far in all the years that similar set-ups have not caused any blow-up problems. Capt,n

av8tor1977 10-07-2008 05:37 PM

Maybe I'm too cautious, but it still would bother me with gasoline and it is not commonly recommended. Glow fuel is nowhere near as volatile as gasoline, that's why no problems with the glow setups...

AV8TOR

KI8FR 10-07-2008 11:30 PM

I saw in AMA mag a long time agoe some one had it happen. Gas was just starting to get big at that time and some one was fling and having a good old time and them BOOM. No plane. They not sure on what did it but he did have is tank set up that way. how know.

That is one thing that suck. you have a crash and the plane is so bad you can not tell what did it. You have to go on living not knowing what made it crash. but when you are in the air and the plane goes BOOM and there is nothing left. that would suck so bad.

Paul

av8tor1977 10-08-2008 01:38 AM

Well, somehow I doubt that the RADIO blew up.... Must have been the fuel system! ;)

I did see a completely unexplained one happen to a friend of my brother's at a field in California once. His biplane just quit responding, and started doing big lazy circles in the air. It was very slowly climbing, and drifting with the wind. He just suddenly had no response from his radio at all. We watched it in amazement for a long time. People even had time to go to their cars and get their radios to see if they could get control of it. No deal. It just finally drifted out of sight. It was never found. The only thing I could think of was the battery disconnected or the switch failed. But it was rather amazing that it, being a biplane, was stable enough to keep flying by itself for so long without falling off into a spiral and crashing!

AV8TOR

captinjohn 10-15-2008 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guys....I need more of your know how. I mixed up some fuel for my gas/glow engine. I started with the glow fuel I had..10% nitro and 18% oil. I next grabed the container and poured in already mixed gas that was 40-1 mix of Air cooled penzoil. Then I realized I goofed. So I took strait mentanol and added that to thin oil content down. Mix ended up being...2 0z of glow fuel + 4 0z of 40-1 gas + 2 oz of strait menthanol. I am not a math wiz. Can you tell me what "TOTAL OIL" content is now? By the way...I just for the heck of it tried that mix. Man it revs up so fast it is unbeleaveable on a 16x8 wide blade wood prop. I could not tack it...not enough light for the crummy tack. I also gutted the muffler I took off my leaf blower. Not loud...just about right! The prop is to small so I will put the bigger prop back on it tomorrow. Here is a photo of parts I took out of muffler! Capt,n;)

captinjohn 10-19-2008 09:23 PM

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Guys....I need more of your know how. I mixed up some fuel for my gas/glow engine. I started with the glow fuel I had..10% nitro and 18% oil. I next grabed the container and poured in already mixed gas that was 40-1 mix of Air cooled penzoil. Then I realized I goofed. So I took strait mentanol and added that to thin oil content down. Mix ended up being...2 0z of glow fuel + 4 0z of 40-1 gas + 2 oz of strait menthanol. I am not a math wiz. Can you tell me what "TOTAL OIL" content is now? By the way...I just for the heck of it tried that mix. Man it revs up so fast it is unbeleaveable on a 16x8 wide blade wood prop. I could not tack it...not enough light for the crummy tack. I also gutted the muffler I took off my leaf blower. Not loud...just about right! The prop is to small so I will put the bigger prop back on it tomorrow. Here is a photo of parts I took out of muffler! Capt,n;)
NEXT DAY... I ran the same engine with the mix I come up with by acccident with a 17x6 prop and it got very close to 8000 RPM. It was very cool in AM but the engine started better than before. I am thinking that strait menthanol must be very good stuff. I got it from a shop where they sell fuel ect for Sand Dune Race buggies and rails. I am going to place my Gas/glow engine in a airplane next and fly it! Capt,n

KI8FR 10-19-2008 10:47 PM

Capt'n

I can not get the 10/10 super tiger fuel were I live. and I can not get menthanol. But I did find a fuel that all hobby shops have it they deal with gas cars. I do not remember the name of the fuel and it is to late for me to go out in the shop to look at the can. lol. I will get the name and put it on here tomorrow. but the fuel is 10 % caster oil and 10 intro. I had a hard time finding fuel. The can does not have to % of oil so I had to call the fuel maker and ask them. It is relay about 9 1/2 % and it works great. The thing is that it is all caster and not synthetic. There is no synthetic in the oil at all. I did not think it would work as 1st. but I gave it a shot. and it works great. It seems that the engine runs a little cooler with the caster. I do not know but it just seemed that way. It is hard to tell with out a temp gun.

I will tell you the name of the fuel tomorrow. That way you do not have to do so much mixing.

Paul

rangerfredbob 10-20-2008 12:06 AM

I'm not getting the smooth low idle you guys rave about on my mac 32cc... I've got the 10/10 to 2 parts premium, 4 stroke plug (hangar 9 version, will grab a couple F's next time I'm at a shop...), it keeps surging on me. this engine is a bit on the tired side, and the fuel has been mixed for about a month, my next step is to get a new ring from Frank and get it on onboard glow...

KI8FR 10-20-2008 06:03 AM

You will not need the on bord glow. but you will need a good ring.

Paul

captinjohn 10-20-2008 10:19 AM

ORIGINAL: KI8FR

Capt'n

I can not get the 10/10 super tiger fuel were I live. and I can not get menthanol. But I did find a fuel that all hobby shops have it they deal with gas cars. I do not remember the name of the fuel and it is to late for me to go out in the shop to look at the can. lol. I will get the name and put it on here tomorrow. but the fuel is 10 % caster oil and 10 intro. I had a hard time finding fuel. The can does not have to % of oil so I had to call the fuel maker and ask them. It is relay about 9 1/2 % and it works great. The thing is that it is all caster and not synthetic. There is no synthetic in the oil at all. I did not think it would work as 1st. but I gave it a shot. and it works great. It seems that the engine runs a little cooler with the caster. I do not know but it just seemed that way. It is hard to tell with out a temp gun.

I will tell you the name of the fuel tomorrow. That way you do not have to do so much mixing.

Paul
You are right about finding 10/10 Supertiger fuel in west Mich. No can find at any hobby shop. If you can find Glow fuel with 20% nitro...mix 1 gal of it to one gallon of strait menthanol acohol, which can be found at speed shops. I buy it at DuneLand by Silver lake Sand Dunes. It is good stuff at only $3.75 per gallon. I can make Glow fuel for my smaller regular glow engines just by adding Klotz oil....about 18-20%. No nitro, so you need a high compression engine and a hot Glow plug. Supertigers seem to like low or no nitro fuel. Take Care and watch for a PM. Capt,n;)

lrglnman 10-20-2008 09:38 PM

? on the fuel consumption doing this conversion. Is the consumption higher than glo or higher than gas.

av8tor1977 10-21-2008 03:23 PM

Consumption is slightly higher than a normal, pure gasoline setup, and MUCH less than a pure glow engine.

AV8TOR

captinjohn 10-21-2008 06:23 PM

I have my Gas/Glow MB290 running real good now. It will start very good...maybe better when the air temp was only 42 degrees in AM. It would idle down good and keep going after less than a min of running. NOW....the consumption of fuel varies a bit. If I run it at modest RPM it seems real good on fuel. Wide open steady RPM...she likes its fuel. I would say the benefit is easy starting, no ignition interference with TX or Radio system and light weight. It is worth doing. I will not run all my planes on gas/glow however. I like to run every type there is and will try to have one of each engine/fuel set up. Including at least 1 4 stroke & 1 electric powered plane. They are all fun...if you take the time to understand how to tune them. Best Regards Capt,n;)

av8tor1977 10-21-2008 08:25 PM

I noticed my fuel consumption went down quite a bit when I started using velocity stacks. The normal two stroke "spit back" or "reversion" is somewhat contained and drawn back into the engine with a stack. Without one the reversion is just blown away by the prop blast and lost.

Congrats on getting yours running well Captain.

AV8TOR

aero nut 10-22-2008 10:36 PM

and also you should get better efficiency from your engine I noticed a little increase on my rpms by using a carb stack

captinjohn 10-23-2008 08:25 AM

AV8TOR, Thanks for the reply. Yes I finally got things right with that engine. If I would have hade a better carb and a good OS F plug to begin with....it would have saved a lot of mesing around. I need more carbs and re-new most all my glow starting leads..ect. I got to get rid of stuff that is in question....instead of trying to make back up equipment work. Best Regards Capt,n;)

yellowbird911 10-23-2008 01:05 PM

Will this help with idle vibration? I have a RCGF 65cc gas and it, like all my other gas motors, tries to shake the plane apart including every bolt in the plane. If this will decrease vibration at idle I will be converting to glow/gas this week.

av8tor1977 10-23-2008 01:17 PM

Doesn't cost much to give it a try... The Gas/Glow setups I have done do idle smoother and slower, but it sounds as if you might need to balance your engine. Also, a rich idle mixture setting will make an engine shake more at idle.

AV8TOR

yellowbird911 10-23-2008 01:35 PM

Have balanced and rebalanced props on every gas engine I have and they just never idle near as smooth as a glow motor so I will give the glow/gas a try and see what happens, Thanks

aero nut 10-23-2008 01:42 PM

try your gas engine with your ignition and gas/glow fuel and you'll get more power and smoother idle, and I agree with Bob (av8tor) that a rich Idle will make it vibrate more

av8tor1977 10-23-2008 02:37 PM

I was speaking of actually balancing the engine internally. I lost the link, but someone here in the forum posted a link on how to balance an engine. It is not all that hard, but does of course involve disassembling the engine.

Another thought is that if you are using magneto ignition, balancing the flywheel will help a lot. I was somewhat surprised at how much smoother a friend's engine ran after I balanced the magneto flywheel for him.

But once again, if your shaking is most noticeable at idle, the idle mixture is probably too rich. It sometimes is a fine line between a clean, two stroking idle and getting a good transition. If the engine is too rich at idle, it will "four stroke" intermittently, and shake so hard you think the tailfeathers are going to fall off!

AV8TOR

captinjohn 10-23-2008 07:01 PM

ORIGINAL: yellowbird911

Have balanced and rebalanced props on every gas engine I have and they just never idle near as smooth as a glow motor so I will give the glow/gas a try and see what happens, Thanks
My opinion glow engines have a sotfter idle because there is not a explosion like with spark ignition. I think glow fuel burns slower...unless a lot of nitro is added. The MB290 Mac Blower engine I am testing on glow/gas has a real smoothe idle. The engine does have a kinda bad viabration about 1/4 throttle. I think it is not related to fuel...just not balanced good for that 1/4 throttle RPM. Has any have same thoughts? Thanks Capt,n[X(]

clocknut 10-24-2008 07:25 AM

talking about the velocity stacks I have had people say I have it mounted the wrong way?? so what is the right way?? I mount mine with the higher part to the back so the prop pushes the air into it and some people say it should be the other way so the tall side is facing the prop and shields the carb form the prop wash.

captinjohn 10-24-2008 08:43 AM

ORIGINAL: clocknut

talking about the velocity stacks I have had people say I have it mounted the wrong way?? so what is the right way?? I mount mine with the higher part to the back so the prop pushes the air into it and some people say it should be the other way so the tall side is facing the prop and shields the carb form the prop wash.
Get the stack that is strait across the opening with no angle at all...then see what your "experts" say! You can also make a velocity stack that would be turnable to any angle and see for yourself what works best. Capt,n:D

KI8FR 10-24-2008 11:37 AM

To the back like you have been doing it. that is the way That I do it.

Paul