RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Engine Conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/)
-   -   GAS/GLOW HOW TO.... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/8009384-gas-glow-how.html)

warbird1947 07-25-2013 09:04 AM

RE: GAS/GLOW HOW TO....

Hi all. Ive just ordered my plug adapter from fujiman. And Av8tor1977, thanks for this great forum. I have not read all of it, its so long. But can someone shoot me the contact info on the ring man? These weedie motors just have too much ring gap. Looking forward to seeing the before and after performance difference of my Stinger 120 with my weedie 25cc conversion.

warbird1947 07-25-2013 09:33 AM

Google is great. Found the contact info for Frank Bowman.

Flight Risk 07-25-2013 11:51 PM

ORIGINAL: warbird1947

thanks for this great forum. I have not read all of it, its so long.
Awe, come on, only 550 messages. :D

av8tor1977 07-29-2013 02:18 PM

ORIGINAL: warbird1947

Hi all. Ive just ordered my plug adapter from fujiman. And Av8tor1977, thanks for this great forum. I have not read all of it, its so long. But can someone shoot me the contact info on the ring man? These weedie motors just have too much ring gap. Looking forward to seeing the before and after performance difference of my Stinger 120 with my weedie 25cc conversion.
You're welcome!! We've had a lot of fun with Gas/Glow here.

If your present ring has excessive gap, you're in for a nice surprise when you install the Bowman ring. However, be advised that there is a neat mod for the Homelite 25cc engine. You send the piston to Frank Bowman, and he adds a pin to the ring land so that the piston ring cannot rotate, and makes a ring for use with the pin. Then you can grind out that bridge in the exhaust port for a nice power increase, besides the power increase his ring is going to give you anyway. Just remember to put a chamfer on the port edge to protect the ring and piston after grinding out that bridge. I've done this mod on numerous Homelite 25cc engines and it is well worth it. Also note that there is a Homelite 30cc engine that looks identical to the 25cc, weighs the same, mounts the same, etc. but makes a good bit more power. It does not have the bridge in the exhaust port from the factory, and in fact that is a quick way to tell a 25 from a 30; look for a bridge in the exhaust port.

AV8TOR

av8tor1977 07-29-2013 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my latest "Full tilt boogie" Homelite 30cc. 9400 rpms on an APC 16 x 8. 8200 rpms on a Zoar 17 x 8. (This one is on ignition as the plane I built it for was already set up for normal ignition instead of Gas/Glow.)

AV8TOR

hutchinstuff 01-18-2014 07:22 PM

av8tor... that thing looks great! After converting a stihl 20cc to run on gas/glow (i'm getting 7000+ on a MAS S2), I'm working on a 27cc Stihl to convert again (well, just to build a prop adapter that is). What rpm should I be seeing on a 17x8, or 18x8? I'm also getting Buzz from Magnum fuels in Denver to mix up some fuel for me, wondering what the "ideal" mix should be? I know stihl is designed to run on 50:1, so I was thinking about a lower oil content, 7% would end me up around 43:1... *I am thinking I could always add oil.... I can also have him change the nitro percentage. Is 10% the "ideal"? Or should a guy go higher? Or increase the compression ratio and go lower? (i'm turning my own adapters) I'm also considering going with full synthetic.... Anyways, let me know what you think.... I'm loving the gas glow conversion already......

av8tor1977 01-19-2014 09:50 AM

Thanks!

Well the orginal Gas/Glow forumula of one part 10% nitro and 10% oil glow fuel to two parts of premium gasoline yields an oil content of close to 32 to 1. That's what I run most of my stuff at anyway, so I like that ratio. More oil doesn't hurt a thing, provides an extra measure of protection for your engine, and can actually make more power due to an improved ring seal and reduced friction. It has been proven in tests. Just my thoughts on the oil question. Whatever oil you use, be sure to make sure it is compatible with both the gasoline and the methanol. Some aren't. Mix up a batch in a clear container, shake well, then let it sit for a couple of days to see if you get phase separation.

As far as the nitro, you could mix up small batches of fuel and do some testing. Go up on the nitro until you experience detonation and/or start burning up glow plugs, then back off some. Remember the nitro mixing rule: Always add the nitro to the fuel you are mxing; NEVER add the fuel to the nitro.

It is a fun deal Gas/Glow. I have as much fun seeing the look on peoples faces when confronted with a running Gas/Glow engine as much as anything.

AV8TOR

KI8FR 06-01-2014 05:21 PM

av8tor
Are you still running as glow?
Paul

av8tor1977 06-01-2014 07:12 PM

I've still got one 25cc engine running on Gas/Glow. The original purpose of doing Gas/Glow was to save cost, (ignitions used to run around 130 bucks or so), and weight, which is important on the smaller planes. Now that the cost of ignition systems has come down to less than 50 bucks, and I am now into somewhat larger planes, I have kind of gotten away from Gas/Glow. Further, with the IBEC systems, you don't even have to run a separate ignition battery, which saves on maintenance and weight too. It was sure a fun project though, and we proved it was/is viable.

AV8TOR

JohnF 06-02-2014 02:22 AM

Hello Av8tor, what can you suggest is the best thing to do with a pump gas engine for fuel and what is your opinion of using Ethanol "stabilizer" additives. I am using Zenoah G62's. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

fujiman 06-02-2014 06:13 AM

if you have water sports in your area, boats, etc. buy marine gasoline, no ethanol or any alcohol at all. here in oregon there are many gas stations that sell marine fuel. try and find one in your area. hope this helps a little.

captinjohn 06-04-2014 07:44 AM

Best gas fpr RC engines

Use Pure Gas. to find it go here..... http://pure-gas.org/ The best storage fuel also...it will not damage rubber parts in your carb, has good octane & more power. :)

captinjohn 06-04-2014 07:48 AM

Best gas for RC engines

http://pure-gas.org/ Please read why it best. Also it is a good storage fuel & the engine will run longer one the fuel tank you use.

JohnF 06-04-2014 06:03 PM

Thanks captin, I'll look into it.

captinjohn 06-07-2014 10:15 AM

Here is my gas/glow engine. I left it outside to see how it would start in cold weather. The next day the engine was covered with ice. So I took a chance & set up the camera to record it. Well she ran... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c85M0Rq1TKE

fujiman 07-08-2014 07:43 AM

I found on ebay Torco brand pure methanol in gals. can't remember the cost. mite be better than Heet add. hope this helps!!!!! fujiman

vasek 07-08-2014 06:45 PM

I just "found" this thread. FANTASTIC!

I do have 2 questions (maybe I've missed it)

- do I use Gas tank fittings/ tubing or Glow ?
- when new, does it make a difference to break in the engine on Gas or Gas/Glow ?

Thanks.

av8tor1977 07-08-2014 10:01 PM

Use gasoline resistant fuel system components, and I would break the engine in with the Gas/Glow fuel. You might ruin one glow plug during the break in period, but then you will be good to go. If it is an engine that is completely new to you, you might fire it up on gas first just to make sure it doesn't have any issues before switching it to Gas/Glow.

AV8TOR

vasek 07-09-2014 02:57 AM

Will do, thanks for the help!

av8tor1977 07-09-2014 11:25 AM

:)

Have fun. It will amaze your friends!

AV8TOR

vasek 07-27-2014 06:53 AM

One more question lingers in my head :

If one can run a Gas engine with the specified fuel mix and glow plug, wouldn't a Glow engine run on the same fuel mix also ?

I was looking at a gas conversion of ST2300 to save fuel costs, but if it can run also on gas/mix (with the ignition module mod, see vid) wouldn't it run on the GAS/Glow fuel mix without any mods ? Seems logical to me , but I am no expert on engines. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FehNER3Lys

jrjr2u 07-27-2014 11:15 AM

Oh they will run..... the question is for how long. Weedeater motors have ball bearings and have a lower oil requirement. Glo motors may have bushings which require a higher oil content to survive. You may need to change carbs too as you have to flow more alcohol than gas to attain the same power output. Check out your setup closely so you don't burn it up.... as I recall the larger ST motors have been converted and I am sure you will find info on them.

hessian123 07-27-2014 11:17 AM

Here's an interesting new option to consider. Perhaps we'll see more of this type of thing from the mainstream manufacturers.
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...smg1513_e.html

Flight Risk 07-27-2014 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by hessian123 (Post 11849539)
Here's an interesting new option to consider. Perhaps we'll see more of this type of thing from the mainstream manufacturers.
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...smg1513_e.html

I wonder if it would be worth trying that "G5" glow plug on other engines. I'm wondering it works with a catalytic reaction to gas, as the others work with methanol?

vasek 07-27-2014 11:46 PM

It would be worthwhile to do some testing.... anyone?