Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

SE180 motor issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 02:02 AM
sportyxl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE180 motor issue

Hi I have put a set of SE 180 motors into my Lama v4 due to wearing out standard ones, also a new 4 in 1 due to a mishap last week, The problem I am seeing is if I throtle up slowly I notice top rotor blades start spinning after the bottom set. If I give it a bit of gas it seems fine , it is flying ok but I dont think it should be delayed . Could one of the newmotors be faulty or weeker than the other, I only have about 10 flights on it since they have gone in. I do hear that motor humming until it fires up, I dont let it do it though I give it a bit more and it comes good. Any reason this would be happening, I dont want to burn a motor maybe its something simple Thanks Guys

Mark

Old 04-05-2011, 03:26 AM
pgroom_68

Default RE: SE180 motor issue

ORIGINAL: sportyxl
Hi I have put a set of SE 180 motors into my Lama v4 due to wearing out standard ones, also a new 4 in 1 due to a mishap last week, The problem I am seeing is if I throtle up slowly I notice top rotor blades start spinning after the bottom set. If I give it a bit of gas it seems fine , it is flying ok but I dont think it should be delayed . Could one of the new motors be faulty or weeker than the other, I only have about 10 flights on it since they have gone in. I do hear that motor humming until it fires up, I dont let it do it though I give it a bit more and it comes good. Any reason this would be happening, I dont want to burn a motor maybe its something simple Thanks Guys
[/b]Hey Mark,

You say she flying OK. If the two directions are starting within a couple of Tx "clicks" (fairly close after oneanother) - there is no prob!
Did you get the [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2028]regular[/link] SE180 or the [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=80_204_149&products_id=7067]Pro[/link]

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
P.S. Which motor is strained front or rear?
A better way to distinguish between them is "pinion near the can" (A) or "pinion at the end of motor shaft" (B)
Edit: I've just re-read your post carefully and it appears you may have got one slightly dodgy motor - but it will just die faster than the other one. Determine which it is and replace the [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=80_204_149&products_id=597]brushes & springs[/link] - run in (at low revs for 2 mins, then increase slightly for another 2 mins - you're done!) you should be OK again.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:43 AM
sportyxl

Hi Peter

Yes it starts running after 2 or 3 clicks extrabut does hum like it wants to go,and it is the back motor, outside gear, maybe the motor is just new and tight.
It seems to run well so much better than stock motors, but theywould start up the same time, justthought I would akthe question in case damage could occur or possibly im not getting as goodstabillity as I could be
Sometimes you put up with thing cos you dontknow any better. Bit likelife HA,HA

Ok I just read your edit, I have a couple of spare pares of silver brushes,shouldnt I replaceboth sets of brushes or doesnt it matter , Not sureabout springs , is that the same

Thanks Mate

Mark
Old 04-05-2011, 03:46 AM
sportyxl

Oh and they are the regular SE"

Hi Peter

Yes it starts running after 2 or 3 clicks extrabut does hum like it wants to go,and it is the back motor, outside gear, maybe the motor is just new and tight.
It seems to run well so much better than stock motors, but theywould start up the same time, justthought I would akthe question in case damage could occur or possibly im not getting as goodstabillity as I could be
Sometimes you put up with thing cos you dontknow any better. Bit likelife HA,HA

Thanks Mate

Mark
Old 04-05-2011, 03:51 AM
pgroom_68

Hi Peter
Yes it starts running after 2 or 3 clicks extra but does hum like it wants to go, and it is the back motor, outside gear, maybe the motor is just new and tight.
It seems to run well so much better than stock motors, but they would start up the same time, just thought I would ak the question in case damage could occur or possibly im not getting as good stabillity as I could be
Sometimes you put up with thing cos you dont know any better. Bit like life HA,HA
Thanks Mate
Hey again Mark,

You're so right mate!

Not really much to worry about there - but if you want to extend the life of your SE180s run them in at low revs to "bed in" the brushes. If the rear motor shows signs of dying (such as the bird rotates to the left without input one day) it is a good idea to replace the brushes in both of your motors at the same time to match them........

Enjoy flying the coax - I did!!

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
P.S. Xtreme SE180s were in the silver bird, and aeronuts "supreme 180s" in the blue. The green pod & boom had different motors at different times[sm=72_72.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44819.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1589450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51394.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1589451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35898.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1589452  
Old 04-05-2011, 04:07 AM
sportyxl

Thanks Peter

Thats what is great, throw something out there and someone steps up to help!!
It all makes sense, I will leave it a bit longer then pull the motors out to do both sets of brushes, I thought I bedded them in properly but maybe not enough, but hell they make a difference with the other parts i've added.
I'm looking to buy another Helli too, bit more suited to outside, this one only puts up with slight breeze, this is a great trainer though, love it

Thanks again Peter Will chat again in the future

Mark

Ps I keep changing the look of mine also, Had the orange skin to start, got silver + blue too , now I have just received the Extreme Boom, Skid, Canopy
It doesnt look like stopping, Its an addiction