Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Troubleshoot Big Lama

I'd like to get some help troubleshooting my Big Lama. I've had my Big Lama for close to a year but haven't flown it all that much. Lastsummer I was flying it and it flipped onto its side and crashed rather spectacularly. I just got around to the repairs and now it just flips over on to the left side before it ever gets off the ground. I tried using the POT adjustment, but the results are the same.

After reading several threads, I suspect that one of my motors may be bad, but I'm not sure. If one is bad, how do Itell which one? Which replacements (if there are choices) should I buy? And should Iadd heat sinks? Is there any regular maintenance that Ishould be performing?

Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Troubleshoot Big Lama

I had problem like that after I rebuilt mine.  I found that A blade and balance rod on to were to tight and rod could not balance. I'm new also, but I found that it I try to take off real slow light the real thing, the heli likes to tip. If I just gun it a little and get off the ground even 6 inches, no problem.  Hope this helps. Trial and error for me too. 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well the pot adjustment does not help in your case.
    As I understood the heli does not spin but leans on one side.
    So check the trims.
    Be noticed that adjusting one trim the other is affected too. So if you set the trim to compensate the backwards movement then you have affected the tilting of the bird and the other trim needs adjustment too.
    It is the design of the swashplate on the coaxial helicopters.
    If using the trim to the full but still needs a little more then all you have is to adjust the corresponding servo linkage.
    Modified BOL chassis www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9422710
    brushless mod www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9460961

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the help so far; especially regarding the swashplate. Upon further examination, the plastic collar of the swashplate had come out of the metal bearing. I pushed it back in place and the BOL no longer falls on its side. Now it will not get airborne but instead spins wildly, counterclockwise on the ground. I still believe that there is a motor issue - specifically, the one that spins the top blades. Am I correct?