Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

Esky honey bee CP

Old 03-22-2005, 08:07 PM
bell1684

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Esky honey bee CP

The auction looks good..good luck with your bidding..hopfully you'll get it at the price you want (and get it soon!)

As far as the Lipo and charger goes, expect to pay probably between $30-$50 for the battery..I have both a 1300mah and 1800mah and I prefer the 1800mah as I find it has more "zip" to get the bird off the ground, but the 1300mah works just fine.

For the charger, I would be surprised if you find anythng for less that $80 (mine is the Vision Peak Ultra AC/DC by Dynamite, I paid $80 at my LHS). It works great, only feature it's missing is a discharge function, but i havent really needed that function anyway, although some people recommend it for conditioning new Lipo's. The more brand name chargers (Triton, etc) are $100+...

Do yourself a favor and dont skimp on the quality of the batteries or the charger, really for two reasons. First & foremost is the safety aspect.. Lipo's need to be treated with respect (im sure you've read & heard plenty about it). Second, from talking to you back & forth on this thread I get the impression you are just as hooked by the hobby as I and the rest of the folks here, so spend the extra money on good equipment now cause im sure you're going to have it for a long time and be using it with all the other heli's you're going to buy in the future..

Darrell
Old 03-22-2005, 08:24 PM
jamesotron

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey guys. Just a heads up that flying-hobby.com in hong kong [link=http://www.flying-hobby.com/product.asp?productSort=174]have them real cheap[/link]. You can get a new airframe for US$72, which is cheaper than buying an empty mini dragonfly from my LHS!

I think I will grab one in a couple of months and see if I can throw some gear together to get it going. It would be great to have something a little cheaper than the t-rex to fly in more confined spaces. I'm thinking that putting a couple of brushless motors in it should be pretty cheap.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:35 PM
casipak
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bell1684,
thanks for the heads up on the charger. I'll try and find a nice one.

http://www.flying-hobby.com/productShow.asp?id=537 ?

jamesotron,
I'll be glad to hear how your project is going to turn out. Hope to hear from ya soon
Old 03-23-2005, 01:44 AM
batfalcon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi everybody,

I need a little help on this one. I just took a close look at the "Twister CP" at the [link=http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.uk/detail.php?JPNO=6600025&activepage=2&Navmain=Helicopters&subcatname=Kits%20-%20Twister]http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.uk/detail.php?JPNO=6600025&activepage=2&Navmain=Helicopters&subcatname=Kits%20-%20Twister[/link] and from what I see it must be identical with the Esky CP. Since the "Twister" is available by a local hobby shop, at 300 €, it's easier for me to buy one from here (Athens), than wait to be sent from US.
Please have a look and tell me what you think.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 03-23-2005, 06:44 AM
bell1684

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Michael
Yes..that looks just like my HB2..ive heard other people have purchased the "Twister" as well and they say its comparable with the HB2..note that it even comes with the cheap ESKY DC Lipo charger. Its probably exactly the same heli, just different graphics on the canopy.... everything else looks identical.

Old 03-23-2005, 07:25 AM
casipak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think you should buy it from your local hobby shop because you'll have some someone to help you in your own city and if any problems occur(I hope they don't) but if they do, you can go to your shop and they should help.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:15 AM
batfalcon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I thought so too. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:25 PM
casipak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No problem, if I'm lucky, I will get my HB today. Tell me how your heli works out!
Old 03-23-2005, 05:33 PM
bell1684

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Casipak
So you finally made a purchase?
Old 03-24-2005, 07:21 AM
casipak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Almost, but I blew it. There was an auction yesterday for the HB with a lipo and charger that was ending at around 12:30 in the morning and I bid. I got outbid by 2 dollars and 50 cents! I could've had the heli for $140 with shipping included. There are 2 more auctions that end on Saturday that look really nice. Hopefully, I'll be lucky and win one of them.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:14 PM
bell1684

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bummer![:@]

Keep at it..you'll get a good deal soon enough!
Old 03-24-2005, 06:52 PM
casipak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hope so! Can't wait till saturday for the auctions!
Old 03-25-2005, 06:44 AM
batfalcon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi guys,

Since I use a Lipo 2c pack 1200 mAh on my "Twister" and as you already know,the BEC system on that machine is designed for NimH, I was suggested to fly for a specific time (15 min) and then regardless of the battery situation, land the heli and recharge the pack.
To be honest I did not do exactly that. The first time I kept the heli hovering until I started to "feel" that more and more throttle was needed and soon afterwards (very soon), the tail could not keep steadily it's position, giving me a sign of low voltage at the Rx. That's when I landed. Time mark was at 20 min. Ever since I recharge my pack and it receives only 900 to 920 mAh, (slow charge 0,4C = 300 mAh). If I charge it at 1A it only gets about 850 mAh.

Given that I would like to know what is YOUR mAh charge of LiPos, relatively with their labeled capacity.

Also do you keep the above mentioned proccess or you fly using a chronometer ? Say land at 15 min from the start.

I have to say that I plan to buy a second pack towards 1500 to 1800 mAh. Just to have more flight time.

Thanks,
Michael
Old 03-25-2005, 07:24 AM
casipak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't really now much about lipos, but if you discharge it too much, it gets ruined. I think most lipos aren't supposted to go beyong 9 volts. Get a voltmeter, or multimeter and see what the charge is.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:15 AM
pwterry

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lithium polymer batteries should not be discharged to less than 3 volts per cell. They should not be charged to more than 4.2 volts per cell. They should not be charged at more than 1C (C = battery mah rating).

So:

1 cell = 3 v minimum & 4.2 v maximum
2 cells = 6 v minimum & 8.4 v maximum
3 cells = 9 v minimum & 12.6 v maximum
4 cells = 12 v minimum & 16.8 v maximum

500 mah battery max charge rate = 0.5 amp
1000 mah battery max charge rate = 1 amp
1500 mah battery max charge rate = 1.5 amp
Old 03-26-2005, 03:20 AM
batfalcon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for all the info but I knew all the theory. The fact is that I dodn't exactly know the voltage when I decide to stop flying and disconnect the battery. That's why I ask the most experienced of you to inform me how DO YOU discharge your Lipos during flight.
Do you have measured a specific time at which, (during hover) the heli must have the pack discharged SAFELY ? e.g. 2 cells NOT LESS than 6 V.

Plus how many mAh does YOUR charger give to the pack, (each time you charge), relatively to their labled capacity ? e.g. My pack is labeled 1200 mAh. Each time I recharge it doesn't get more than 900 to 920 mAh. Is this normal according to your experience ?

Thanks again,
Michael.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:25 PM
paedbo
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

check these guys out

http://www.eflightdesigns.com/cgi-bi...cts.cgi?CAT=19

they have 3 cell and 2 cell battery monitors, they are weird though, supposedly the light stays on as long as the battery is above 9 volts, but i emailed them and they were so kind they told me if i wanted it so the light would come on when the battery discharges that they could do that, They had said that the theory of it is once the battery reaches 9 volts the light goes off so it doesnt draw more juice, but the way i look at it is, The LED is drawing 10 or 17 ma for 20 minutes robbing me a sliver of duration ( i know its not alot) , and when it does reach 9 volts it usualy flickers at a certain throttle speed, so having it wired to turn on the light at 9 volts is the way i really wanted it, once the light comes on i back out of the throttle, the light goes off and i land it.

Anyways they are pretty light, the two cell monitor i think is 0.65 grams.

Just dont forget, do not wire it to the wire permanently it will disccharge it, make sure to wire the gizmo to your ESC instead, so when the battery is disconnected so is the monitor.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:10 AM
pwterry

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

batfalcon,
I have two 3 cell, 1100mah li-poly batteries. My HB2 will not fly ay 9 volts (usually grounded by 10 volts), so I don't have to worry about over discharge. My charger is rated at 500mah at 12 volts (actually measured at exactly 12.6). So, I'm charging 1100mah with 500mah - takes a while. And I charge them to the full 12.6 volts. I have a volt meter, but no amp meter, so I'm unsure as to the mah the batteries are accepting. I do know that, at over 30 discharges each, the batteries seem to be as good has they were when new. I get three flights of around 6 minutes each per battery.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:14 AM
batfalcon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Paedbo,

Thanks for the link. I 've already emailed them to give me the P&H charge for Greece.

Pwterry,

Thanks for the info. Having said that, I suppose that I can not use my 2 cell Li Po to fly the Twister CP, since it uses 3 cell Li po, I assume that it cut's of when the pack drops below 9 V. Is that so ?
Old 03-28-2005, 01:44 AM
FlyHeli

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am glad to hear that no one has broken many parts, I have gone through 2 Rotor head sets as evertime I hit something or the ground, they seem to break. Also as I was reading before about winning Ebay auctions. YOu should get a snipe program. IT works great
Old 03-28-2005, 08:16 PM
casipak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bell1684,
I finally bought my HB!!! The seller lives in north carolina and since I live in virginia and he's using priority mail, I should get it real soon. I'll tell you how it works out once I get it.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:46 PM
bell1684

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Casipak
Alright bro! Congrats..now its time for the worst part..waiting for it to arrive!

Your timing is good with spring here..I dont know how the weather in Virginia has been but up here in Rhode Island it has been pretty crappy so outdoor flying has been pretty much non-existant. They are expecting a few dry days in the 50's but of course I will be working[:@]
Hopefully you guys further down south are a bit warmer & dryer!

Definitely let me know how things go with it!

Darrell

Old 03-29-2005, 02:46 PM
casipak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yup, now I wait! AS I am typing this, it's sunny outside and around 70 degrees. During the weekend we had severy thuderstorms and some people lost their power but right now, it looks like it will be warm for the rest of the week.

I need to get some heatsinks and then I'll tell you about the heli.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:20 PM
bell1684

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

70 degrees [X(]
We're lucky when it breaks 50! Not much snow left on the ground though thanks to a big rainstorm the last few days, but the forecast for the weekend is rain..ALL WEEKEND!!

Looks like i'll be chasing my cat indoors with my XRB for a while more before getting out with the 'Bees.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:29 PM
casipak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a quick question, what's the diameter of the main motor on the HB in mm?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service