Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

Esky honey bee CP

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 07:42 AM
casipak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Esky honey bee CP

I found this CP honey bee on ebay for around 150 plus shipping with a 6 ch transmitter and receiver. I am able to hover easily and get forwards and backwards flights. What do you guys think, should I get this CP or just get a little better at my jabo II FP?

thanks in advance
Old 03-17-2005, 07:43 AM
casipak

Default RE: Esky honey bee CP

I have to go out so I'll post a link for the bee later.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:16 AM
Norrmannen

If I were you I'd take one step up as you have experience on FP. I went from Esky FP to T-rex and it's way more fun...
Old 03-17-2005, 09:53 AM
pwterry

casipak,
Norrmannen is right. Go with something a little better than the HB2, if budget allows. I have the HB2, and it's not a bad little bird. But, you get what you pay for. Don't get me wrong, for $150 the HB2 is a lot of bang for the buck, and would likely suffice if that's all you can spring for. Make sure to use Li-poly batteries, 11.1v at 1000 to 1500 Mah.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:16 PM
casipak

I probably can't afford anything above the 250 dollar mark so I am not completely sure if I can get anything better than the honey bee. The eco 8 seems cool.
Here's a different auction of the honey bee that I found. The other one was in China. This one is only 5 bucks more than the other. It has a lipo battery and charger and a regular battery and charger. 1- Li-PO 11.1 Volt 1200 Mah and Charger, 1- 8.4 Volt Ni MH and charger

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

I also wanted to know how the controls are different on a cp heli. What exactly do you do to make fly in loops and upside down and all that good stuff?

What about crashes? Since the head is different is it going to be more vulnerable to crashes?

Old 03-17-2005, 04:33 PM
onesillyhatch
My Feedback: (1)

I broke down and ordered from the same person... the price is too good for what you get. I know its a cheap heli, but piece for piece you can't beat the deal. The seller ships really fast too. I ordered mine on sunday, and its waiting at my house on thursday. I haven't had a chance to open the box but its there. I'll let you know how it is.

Old 03-17-2005, 06:04 PM
casipak

Great! Tell me all about it when you get a chance.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:34 PM
pwterry

casipak,
Normal flight is just like any other CP heli. But, make sure you get a "mode 2" (throttle on left stick).

For inverted flight on the HB2 - take the throttle halfway up, then flip the "3D" switch towards you. Now half throttle is zero pitch, zero throttle is full negative pitch, and full throttle is full positive pitch. Motor RPM goes from half to full in each direction.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:18 PM
casipak

This auction is coming out perfect. Mode 2, lipo batteries, and very sweet price.
Thanks for the CP help. Now I have a better understanding. That link with the auction has a pretty cool video of the hb in action. Check it out if you want.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:56 PM
ptarp

Hey, I just got the same heli yesterday. I LOVE IT. You will not be dissapointed. I ordered from the same guy, I don't think it comes with two lipo packs though, it shows one lipo and one nimh. I own a Raptor 50, so I am already experienced at flying. The HB2 is the best RC purchase I've made based on price spent vs fun. I've already put about 20 full flights on the HB2 and its holding up great.

Just make sure you know the basics of maintaining lipo packs: Don't let them discharge too far, don't keep them connected to ANYTHING(including charger), and keep them in a fire-safe container when charging, etc.

If you did get the one that includes a nimh, I wouldn't count on using it much. I can't get the heli to raise out of the ground effect with that 8.4v nimh pack. The lipo works great though, and has long/strong flights and great dischrge curve.

It is amazingly stable, and I am not exaggerating when I say when its trimmed properly it will basically hover itself. It handles moderate wind easily as well.

I took it to the park today to try out its aerobatic abilities. It has plenty of power to do a loop and go inverted, but with my current "ratio"/gain settings on the gyro it will not hold the tail well when you pull back to flip inverted, so be prepared for the tail to whip around a bit when applying throttle quickly. I'm going to try to tweak with the gryo settings and see if I can improve it. The heli handles great inverted as well. I hit the tail blade numerous times while trimming it and the blade and gears aren't showing any wear. Once I got home I took the flybar weights (collars) off and it seemed to improve cyclic a bit, I can't wait to try out some aerobatics and see how it has changed.

I did get a bit too zealous and started flying it like it was my R50 and crashed it though. I broke the main wooden blades and chewed up a tooth on the main gear. Since I didn't want to quit, I repaired it with some thick CA and some thin balsa to reinforce it untill I can get a replacement.

As you have noticed, I absolutely love my ESky HB2. Now, I KNOW it isn't as good as a T-Rex, Shogun, etc. but not everyone needs one. I already have an R50 to fill my hardcore 3D needs and I was looking for an electric to fly around when I couldn't get to the field. I was prepared to pay around $250 for a fp heli that handled horribly. Needless to say I'm thrilled I found the CP HB2 that has moderate aerobatic capabilites, handles great, and is a measly $160 COMPLETELY RTR.

*Edit*
Just keep in mind you MUST have the throttle and trim all the way down, and the 3D/Normal switch is set to Normal before you connect the battery or it will immediately start spinning the blades and most likely chew up the gear and break the blades when it hits your arm. Not to mention it might hurt a bit.

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/21610/
Old 03-18-2005, 06:56 AM
bell1684

Ptarp
Glad to hear you're lovin your Honeybee..I think mine are pretty great too. I've been impressed with the stability of mine as well, I can get a short hands off hover indoors in a small 10'x10' room even when the turbulence is getting pretty high.

Thanks to our cold New England weather I havent had much time outdoors with it but the few flights ive had I have been impressed overall with the flight characteristics, even though I havent been gutsy enough yet to throw the 3d switch and flip her over. I did manage to slam her pretty good into the pavement the other night after the wind picked up and i wasnt ready for it..the result was a couple of broken blades but everything else was intact..i was impressed.

For the money i dont think you can go wrong with adding one (or two) to your fleet..anyone that may be on the fence about ordering one I say go for it..they are fun!
Old 03-18-2005, 07:26 AM
casipak

I'm gald to hear this heli is working out for you guys. I now want it more and more. How is the tail motor overall? Is it better than the ones in other electric helis?
I do have the same problem with my jabo II. With the regural battery is pretty hard to get out of the ground effect but once high enough, it stables up a bit. Approximately, what's the flight time with the lipo battery on the hb?
Old 03-18-2005, 07:42 AM
batfalcon

Check out this [link=http://www.happibuy.com/]http://www.happibuy.com/[/link], click on the "RC Model" on the left side and tell me what you think.

Michael
Old 03-18-2005, 12:14 PM
bell1684

Casipak
So far (knock on wood) i havent had trouble with the tail motors on either of mine..only had them for a month or two but they both seem to be holding out well.

With my Lipo's (11.1v 1200 Mah & 1800Mah) i usually fly for 15-20 minutes and still have plenty of juice left in the batteries, usually ending up with just about 10.4v in the cheap 3 cell 1800mah battery that came with my second HB2. I dont use the 1200mah battery anymore since it was getting slightly warm during charging and im not interested in burning my house down..it hasnt swolen or anything, I just would rather not risk it. Both batteries had more than enough juice to lift the bird right off the ground no problem.

I bought my first one from HobbyJapan2000.com and wasnt happy with the customer service at all..plus it was backordered and they didnt tell me and it ended up taking a month to arrive. I ordered my second one from Dennis at deeteeenterprises.com and it arrived in 3 days..well worth paying the slightly higher price and getting it when I wanted as opposed to having to wait for it to come from Japan.

Old 03-18-2005, 12:59 PM
ptarp

Casipak

I'd say you lucked out and got your HB2 from the same guy I did. I got the UPS confirmation 30 minutes after I bought it and it arrived the next day (he is in IN, I'm in IL). I wish he offered replacement parts, but I can't find any that he is listing on ebay. As for the lipo flight times, I've never ran the 1100mah lipo down yet, I always stop around 10min becuase I'm trying to keep the tail motor from burning out untill I get some spares handy.

bell1684
Thanks for that link. That site has some of the best prices I've seen yet, and is in the US. Only $5.25 for 2-3day shipping.

I'm glad bell1684 hasn't had a tail motor go out yet, but I just think these little tail motors' brushes won't last long when using lipo packs. We all need to look for an alternative, Radio Shack has some super cheap motors, surely one of them will work I'll probably buy another Hb2 soon and use it as spare parts. I'm going to start doing small "mods" to get the most performance possible out of this little guy. I'm going to try the following no-cost mods...

[ul][*] Remove ANY excess weight. I've already started doing this by cutting some ball links from the head that weren't being used and removed another "excess" plastic part.[*] Remove flybar weights and the little screws in the paddles that don't seem to be doing anything (already done it, still is super stable and improves cyclic)[*] Find some way to get the dampeners in the head to be stiffer. Whatever is in there now is SUPER spongey and is making it much harder to do rolls/flips than it has to be. If I can figure something out here, I guarantee the HB2 will be a MUCH better aerobat.
[/ul]

Happy flying guys, I'm going to take my HB2 to the park again
Old 03-18-2005, 03:52 PM
bell1684

if you guys havent already, check out Aerohawk's Esky threads on RcGroups.com.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:14 PM
casipak

batfalcon, I like those pics. I wanna be doing that soon!
So from what I understand, when I get my hb, I got to be careful with my lipos.
It's good to hear that the hb has a nice tail motor. When I had my aerohack, my motor died on my first flight even though I wasn't going crazy with it and the tx was defective so I just wasted my money.

ptarp-I'm interested in hearing how your plans to remove excess weight are going. Tell me if anything improves. Maybe you can get some carbon parts or something.

P.S. I think that for HB spare parts, some other heli is compatible. I just can't remember which one. I'll try to find out.
Just out of curiousity, are all of your guys' HB's mode 2? Which would be better for 3d flying because I can fly both modes.

I took a better look at the website batfalcon pasted and it has all the spare parts you'll ever need. Check it out!

http://www.happibuy.com/
Old 03-18-2005, 04:35 PM
ptarp

I've been working on making the head stiffer. There was considerable side-side play between the grips and head block. I took the grips off and put a small washer on each side and made the head MUCH stiffer. It shakes a bit in hover now, but it will be much better suited for rolls/flips. Definately something you want to do when you start doing aerobatics. BTW, simpily tightening the screws on the grips will not be enough, you will need to put some washers in to remove the play.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:12 PM
bell1684

Casipak
Both of mine are Mode 2
I guess the best mode for you to use is the one you wont crash with
Must be pretty cool being able to fly both..can you do them both equally well? I would be afraid of having a brain fart in the middle of flying and forgetting what mode i was in.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:10 PM
casipak

I had that play on my jabo and then I got a head stiffener and it seemed to help a bit. How long would it take to learn the basics of aerobatics? I know it's hard to say but just in general.

bell1684,
My first heli was an aerohawk that I ordered from China and that was mode 1. My second heli was the jabo 2 that I ordered from the U.S. so that was mode 2. I spent more time learning on the jabo so right now, I'm better at mode 2. If I got some practice with mode 1 again, I'd probably be pretty good with both but I certanly wouldn't wanna forget which one I'm using.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:11 PM
ptarp

Nice Ibanez Bell I have an Ibanez RG 470(about 2yr old). I don't play much any more b/c of college but, I need to start making time.

Mode 2 is definately what you want if you are in the US. If you ever need help from someone or are looking to move up to a nitro, you'll be irritated(to say the least) if you learned on mode 1. I personally wouln't touch a mode 1, it would just mess me up and I'd definatly be prone to crashing due to forgetting which mode I'm in.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:41 PM
bell1684

Casipak
Nothing wrong with being ambidexterous and being able to fly both...ive been flying mode 2 for so long i dont think I could "unlearn" it.

Ptarp
Sweet dude! Great to know there are other players around here. Ive been playing for about 18 years and put it down for a few years during/after college so i can sympathize with you not having time. Once I graduated and started making a few $$ I quickly got back into it buying axes left and right. I only have 7 guitars right now, but that is more than enough work trying to keep them set-up and always ready to play.

Now if i could just figure out a way to play them all at the same time..hmm!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44644.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	245800  
Old 03-19-2005, 01:34 AM
rbiasi

I don't have a lot of good things to say about www.happibuy.com. They're the folks that I got my HB2 from. They did ship it quick, but gave me a mode 1 TX (I asked for mode 2) and shipped a 8.4v charger with my 11.1v li-po battery. I've ordered parts from them a few times. It can take weeks to get your order. The last order I placed with them was on 1/28, it arrived on 3/5!

The best parts prices I've found are at www.heli-fever.com. However, they're in asia so you're going to pay more for shipping and have to wait for shipping.

If your in the US I'd look at www.jaghobbies.com or the RC World International ebay store. They are both in the US. So the shipping costs are lower and you get your goodies much quicker. I usually recieve my orders within 3 or 4 days! And they both have good prices.

bell1684, nice guitars. I like the way you've got them displayed. My wife got me some hooks so I can hang a few of mine, but I never put them up. I might just do that this weekend.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:04 AM
casipak

bell1684,
sweet guitars! I'm a drummer but I always like to hear the sound of a guitar as well.

rbiasi,
thanks for your help on the happybuy store. I'm checking the other websites as I'm typing this.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:23 AM
bell1684

rbiasi
Thanks for the compliment..i had them on stands on the floor for along time but they took up alot of space..and i like enjoying them liek art when im not playing them.

Casipak
Cool..another drummer here! Here's a pic of my vdrums
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66345.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	246003  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.