Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

Esky Lama V3

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:16 PM
pgroom_68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Esky Lama V3

Hey Joey,

Thanks for the questions. Everything here is gonna be my opinion - so it is pretty dogmatic - but will give you an idea of where to go for the parts/upgrades that you requested. Unfortunately there is not an existing specific parts list for the basic upgrades for the V3 that I know of - so I will have to make one for you. As you can see there is a mixture of sellers - some in the US (I see you are based there) and some in HongKong - the source of ev'rything Esky.......
At the start of your flying journey, you would be wise to only change out one upgrade at a time - then if it doesn't work, you can easily reverse the change.

Q1. Item specific parts list for basic upgrades to improve trouble prone stock parts.
Blades - the Esky blades are cr@p and after a while of breaking them with ev'ry touch, you get sick of changing them out. Extreme blades are much more hardy - and can be bought at lots of on-line stores because of that.
2 x Lipos - I found the best brand ATM is [link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260464578399&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT]GE Power[/link]. Alternatively buy these [link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110468533848&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT]"no name" brand 1200mAh lipos[/link] - they are unbelievably pretty good!
Keep these spare parts on hand so you don't have to wait after crash landing - Original Esky battery tray & skid set, Esky blade grips, Esky Gear A, and even a spare pull-out Tx antenna is a good idea (only if you have FM )
Apart from that just order whatever you break in a crash - which could be anything or nothing - these birds are pretty hardy

Here are a my top three on-line sites in the US:
[link=https://www.ushobbysupply.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=lama+3&osCsid=d56560d86491b2ef82444ff989ac7a8b&x=8&y=5]USHobbySupply.com[/link]
[link=http://www.helitek-rc.com/index.php?searchStr=Lama+3+parts&act=viewCat&Submit=Go]Helitek-RC.com[/link]
[link=http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/category_s/29.htm]BoomTownHobbies.com[/link]

Q2. Item specific parts list of upgrades (I don't know what you mean by the Extreme conversion[sm=confused.gif])
Blades - IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY GOT THEM, buy some Xtreme blades - [link=http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Xtreme_Blade_for_Lama_and_CX2_1_pair_Upper_Yell_p/esl005-y.htm]Yellow Upper A[/link] and [link=http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Xtreme_Blade_for_Lama_and_CX2_1_pair_Lower_Yell_p/esl006-y.htm]Lower B[/link] - (available in 3 colours - white, blue & yellow - search on this site ). Alternatively [link=http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14985]DX blades[/link] & [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=290367412228&Category=34056&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2]AFC systems blades[/link] (whether coloured or "glowing" ) are cheaper & nearly as good IMO.
Extended shaft - I find the [link=http://www.rchelicoptershop.com/catalog/lp0002-turbo-shaft-for-lama-dauphin-comanche-p-342.html?osCsid=06570c9r4dvnt3tt00c4js14f3]Turboshaft[/link] (which adds 2cm - nearly an inch - to the "gap" between blade-planes) totally eliminates blade strikes - but be warned - you will have to remove the padding from your box to transport Lama with ANY extended shaft fitted ! Alternatively you buy get a 2.0 Supershaft but must buy a metal head upgrade separately. You might benefit from ordering one of these head upgrade kits anyway - 'cause the metal swashplate is a good upgrade for later - after a bit more experience.......
Adjustable flybar - I HIGHLY recommend that you make your own by cutting off the existing hooks from the ends of your Esky flybar, slipping on a pair of [link=http://www.helitek-rc.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=60]Adjustable Flybar weights[/link] and tightening equi-distant from the hub - as shown within this link: [link=http://www.rc711.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22_23&products_id=1061]stabilizer SETTINGS[/link].
Bearing Motors - Please upgrade to 180 bearing motors for more power and longevity. There are three types to choose from: [link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290374149633&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT]AFC systems[/link] are the best brand, then [link=http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Xtreme_SE180_Bearing_motors_pair_p/esl031-fslash-2.htm]Extreme 180SE (sold here as a PAIR)[/link], followed closely by the [link=http://www.aero-nuts.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_76&products_id=554]Supreme hobby (also a PAIR)[/link] manufactered by Aero-nuts.com and imported into the US by Helitek-RC!! Brushes and springs can be bought separately for the first two brands to change out when they are get worn - but Supremes are a sealed unit. Carbon brushes have lasted for up to 18 months in my L3.
Skids/battery compartment - AFCSystem landing skid & battery area set is a great product, but if you want an overall look get the [link=http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Xtreme_graphite_skids_w_battery_holder_V3_p/esl008.htm]Xtreme[/link] (and then get the Tail/boom kit)
Tail/boom kit - I prefer this [link=http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Xtreme_Flexible_Tail_V3_Yellow_p/esl023.htm]Flexi-tail[/link] tail due to its extreme (no pun intended) flexibility, but I have heard of others having success with the [link=http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Xtreme_boom_kit_Lama_V3_p/esl011.htm]Xtreme[/link].

I hope all this helps and hasn't made you more confused.........LOL[sm=wink_smile.gif]

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37546.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1344593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38021.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1344594  
Old 12-29-2009, 11:06 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Only thing about the Xtreme battery holder set up is it is a pain getting the battery in and out.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:37 PM
jllphan

Hey Peter, thanks so much for this info, it will serve as a great resource as i dive in here. Speaking of which, i just ordered a coupleof the GE Power batteries you suggested along with the metal headupgrade from the same ebay source.

I've also ordered the following from Helitek:
Helitek-RC Supershaft 2.0, Xtreme 180 SE Bearing motor (B), Xtreme 180 SE Bearing motor (A), Xtreme lower blade (white), Xtreme upper blade (white) and the Shortened Steel Flybar

And i couldn't resist ordering some xtreme "bling" (skid/battery holder, tail boom and canopy) from miracle mart, along with a couple of heat sinks for the new motors.

Am i missing anything or is this a good start?

btw, thanks for connecting me with helitek....they are in my home state, so shipping/communication should be a breeze.<input type="hidden" id="gwProxy" /><input type="hidden" id="jsProxy" onclick="jsCall();" />
<input type="hidden" id="gwProxy"></input><input type="hidden" id="jsProxy" onclick="jsCall();" />
Old 12-30-2009, 10:24 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: jllphan
Hey Peter, thanks so much for this info, it will serve as a great resource as i dive in here. Speaking of which, i just ordered a coupleof the GE Power batteries you suggested along with the metal headupgrade from the same ebay source.
I've also ordered the following from Helitek:
Helitek-RC Supershaft 2.0, Xtreme 180 SE Bearing motor (B), Xtreme 180 SE Bearing motor (A), Xtreme lower blade (white), Xtreme upper blade (white) and the Shortened Steel Flybar
And i couldn't resist ordering some xtreme ''bling'' (skid/battery holder, tail boom and canopy) from miracle mart, along with a couple of heat sinks for the new motors.
Am i missing anything or is this a good start?
btw, thanks for connecting me with helitek....they are in my home state, so shipping/communication should be a breeze.
Hey again J,

No prob mate!

WOW - you're gonna boost the world economy with spending like that........but, it will all be worth it! Most things can be installed individually, but obviously you have to install the metal head at the same time as the Super-shaft 2.0!
Please don't install the cnc blade grips that also come in that metal head upgrade set. They have small "pin" screws that hold the 'square' together - and have a tendancy to come apart at high RPM - happened to me and the dog. Flying shrapnel isn't good! Ouch - I didn't see the dog for a couple of hours![sm=confused_smile.gif] (and I had even used heaps of threadlock on them, trying to hold them together). I guess the vibrations of flight worked them loose after approx. 20 minutes.....

Edit: This is VERY important
You would be wise to start an "order of install" list, WAIT until all the parts have arrived (this is the difficult part), and THEN install one upgrade, fly for a while to get used to the changes, before landing & upgrading the next....

P.S. Here is an old pic of the start of my pile of cnc blade grips....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35484.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1345391  
Old 12-30-2009, 11:52 PM
jllphan

Ha, well considering i purchased the heli itself with a gift card fromsanta, my out of pocket cost thus far is still a good bit less than ablade cx.... so i feel like i'm ahead of the game.

I plan to get fly this thing bone stock until i have the hang of it andthen start upgrading.  Appreciate the additional words of wisdom...isaw the blade grip discussion earlier in this thread...my goldenretriever thanks you in advance.  That said, i might try out the xtremegrips at some point, i had hoped that guy that bought them a few pages back would have reported on how well they worked, or didn't.  what can i say, i'm a sucker for bling.

Cheers,
J
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"></input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"/>
Old 12-31-2009, 12:28 AM
pgroom_68

Ha, well considering i purchased the heli itself with a gift card fromsanta, my out of pocket cost thus far is still a good bit less than ablade cx.... so i feel like i'm ahead of the game.

I plan to get fly this thing bone stock until i have the hang of it andthen start upgrading. Appreciate the additional words of wisdom...isaw the blade grip discussion earlier in this thread...my goldenretriever thanks you in advance. That said, i might try out the xtremegrips at some point, i had hoped that guy that bought them a few pages back would have reported on how well they worked, or didn't. what can i say, i'm a sucker for bling.

Cheers,
J
<input id=''gwProxy'' type=''hidden''></input><input onclick=''jsCall();'' id=''jsProxy'' type=''hidden''/>
Hey again J,

My Charlie is a pure bred Border Collie - won comps over here He even 'sat' for a 2010 calender! I've PMed you a pic....
Cnc blade grip pile keeps getting bigger[sm=wink_smile.gif] - maybe you should PM "the guy" and see how the Extremes went.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:36 AM
erdnuckel2

...isaw the blade grip discussion earlier in this thread...my goldenretriever thanks you in advance. That said, i might try out the xtremegrips at some point, i had hoped that guy that bought them a few pages back would have reported on how well they worked, or didn't. what can i say, i'm a sucker for bling.

Cheers,
J<input type="hidden" id="gwProxy" /><input type="hidden" id="jsProxy" onclick="jsCall();" />
Hi J,

what can I say, I am a sucker for bling too - and for those little critters (ie coaxes) in general ... got way too many of them (L3,L4.cx3 just to name a few - and the important one for THIS thread). To my PERSONAL experience (that can be very different with anybody else you ask!) the Xtreme blade grips work perfect. The one thing that annoys me is that you can only use stock blades or extreme blades without having to "manipulate" the root(s) of the blade ... and I tried practically EVERY blade you can find in aftermarket blades ...

Also the microheli aluminum blade grips work well - they are just considerably more expensive ...

Finally a little example for the "sucker for bling" part ... :http://www.rcline.tv/photo/1957/mr-bling-v0-751 (yes, this one has microheli grips ...)

Regards,
Sven

and HAPPYNEWYEARTOALL!!! may it be filled with health and personal success!!!

Old 12-31-2009, 07:05 PM
46u

Are some having problems with the stock blade grips or do they just want the bling? I have MANY hours on my two still running the stock blade grips. I am not in to bling as I like keeping mine as light as possible even on my 1/5 and 1/8 buggies I race. They just perform better.

Yes the Xtreme blades are much better but let them sit on your shelf for 6 months to a year and they get very brittle when out of the package. I have not flow mine in about 6 months and the first couple of crashes broke all 4 Xtreme blades. Had some others new in the package put them on and they are holding up well.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:18 PM
erdnuckel2

Hi and happy new year!

As far as I am concerned, it's NOTabout having problems with the stock blades per se ... but there are a few things apart from the bling factor that found their way into the decision process (even though the heli in the picture is actually practically ONLY for show )

I will not deny that I am a sucker for bling, but heere are the - IMHO considerably valid PRO's for aluminum
* if you got "good" aluminum grips (which excludes the stuff that comes in the ''el-cheapo' China aluminum kits ) they WILLgive you better tracking then plastic blades do ... at least to my experience.
* I did break a bunch of the little ball links on the grips before Ifinally decided to switch (in the meantime I periodically switched BACK, as certain blades will NOTwork with anything BUTstock grips ... furthermore there is another way to improve tracking on the stock blades ... )

I also know there are many people who say "yeah, but the stock grips break and wont damage something else during a crash" - and Irespect that ... just be quick in killing your throttle when you crash and it won't damage gears or shafts which is usually one of the pro-arguments FORstock grips.

And the whole thing about weight is a point that I don't agree with anyway! A friend of mine has a 314g AUW Lama4 that totally kicks ... I know many people who fly brushed motor Lamas that weigh clearly more than 270g and they still are agile and everything ... and if you actually time your flights (like also soo many people do) and don't fly the bird until LVC kicks in, then weight is more or less irrelevant (but as I said, this is only MYpersonal opinion and Irespect everyone who disagrees ... to each their own.
there is just one more thing to think about: a full aluminum setup weighs an adittional 15g I would say (compared to plastic) - I would either find the excel sheet with the weights I once saw on a forum or weigh the partz myself to be specific... but those 15g you can make up for with a lighter battery and the "right" motors (even if you DON'T go brushless!!!)

So to get this to a conclusion ... all this talk about how aluminum makes the bird fly worse or just gives you weight issues (and I DON"T refer to anyone specific !!!) lies just incredibly much in the eye of the beholder.
Practically ALL my birds are modded to full - or almost full aluminum ... I don't feel as if that brought me any disadvantages until now!

Happy new Year!!
Sven
Old 01-01-2010, 07:12 PM
jllphan

Ha, my Golden is a Charlie too! Unreal.

As for the metal blade grips....I wasn't attempting to restart any controversy. I think the consensus here is that it's not necessarily the added weight, but the poor construction of the metal grips (that come with the Chinese metal upgrade kit) that ultimately leads to those rocking the stock grips. That said, the xtreme metal grips might be a better choice for those wanting to add the bling if they don't mind the xtra weight.Of course, i like function as much as form.... so i'll likely rawk the stock grips for the time being. Happy New Year everyone!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:20 PM
jllphan

Awesome.  Finally received my Lama V3 from Xheli, read the instructional manual (a joke), followed the pre-flight instructions, turned on the transmitter, connected the battery and the 4 in 1 just sits there blinking red and green. 

And yes, i made sure the throttle position is at zero as well as the trim.  And yes, i let the receiver and heli sit next to each other for 5-10min thinking the initial sink might just take a while.  From what i've found on the forums, i'm guessing i have a defective 4 in 1.... right out of the box.

Called Xheli, and after holding on the phone for 20min., i hung up and signed on to their online support chat.  After waiting for 40min, i get a response from one of their reps who doesn't know much and ultimately tells me, "i haven't had personal experience with this heli to know how to check it but you can ask the other techians on the phone lines."

So it's back on hold i go.  Rediculous...i was hoping to at least hover and crash this thing before it was inoperative.  Needless to say, i'm bummed.  Thoughts?
Old 01-06-2010, 04:24 PM
erdnuckel2

Sounds pretty much like a broken RX ... and Iam sorry to hear about the bad customer service experience with xHeli ... BUT:

2 other things: is the heli 72MHz or 2.4GHz? Did you already try to use new TX batteries (not the ones it came with) ?

Sven
Old 01-06-2010, 06:58 PM
jllphan

Hey Sven, it's a 2.4GHz unit. Didn't try fresh batteries because the indicator on the TX shows full charge with the bats it came with. Is that meter at the top not fairly accurate?
Old 01-06-2010, 08:03 PM
pgroom_68

Awesome. Finally received my Lama V3 from Xheli, read the instructional manual (a joke), followed the pre-flight instructions, turned on the transmitter, connected the battery and the 4 in 1 just sits there blinking red and green.

And yes, i made sure the throttle position is at zero as well as the trim. And yes, i let the receiver and heli sit next to each other for 5-10min thinking the initial sink might just take a while. From what i've found on the forums, i'm guessing i have a defective 4 in 1.... right out of the box.

Called Xheli, and after holding on the phone for 20min., i hung up and signed on to their online support chat. After waiting for 40min, i get a response from one of their reps who doesn't know much and ultimately tells me, ''i haven't had personal experience with this heli to know how to check it but you can ask the other techians on the phone lines.''

So it's back on hold i go. Rediculous...i was hoping to at least hover and crash this thing before it was inoperative. Needless to say, i'm bummed. Thoughts?
Hey again J,

Not a good start. Unbind and re-bind (the instructions should be in the paperwork).
Try unplugging and then re-plugging the bird and switching on the Tx after re-binding - sometimes that works for my 2.4G.
Failing this (and it is not taking anything apart) - I'm sorry

P.S. The blinking red/green says that the Rx is not binding with your Tx - and mine goes through this periodically when I return after using another model. Don't panic yet
P.S. It only takes a max of 30 seconds after which try something else.....
Old 01-06-2010, 11:21 PM
erdnuckel2

Sorry J,

but as far as Esky is concerned, Iam still a 72M guy ... so Peter is the one with the experience ... I had a blinking RX at my CX3, and there I was told the same - TX loosing signal/lost signal ... funny thing is, while that happened, Iwas flying ...??
Because of the lost signal theory I suggested to use different TX batts, but to all you say they are ok ... so Iam out of ideas at the moment ...

Sven
Old 01-07-2010, 06:43 AM
barak1001

Receiver blinking on a cx3 isn't a problem with binding.

It simply means that the receiver lost power for some reason while the transmitter did not. Meaning that you changed out a battery and didn't turn your transmitter off when you did so.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:43 PM
jllphan

Thanks for the support guys.  I tried to unbind and rebind with no luck.  Also tried new batteries and that didn't work.  Finally got through to Xheli and after a bit of troubleshooting, they've determined that something is defective and I need to return the unit.  Can't believe they want me to pay for shipping, given the fact they took my money and still haven't delivered what i paid for.  I never buy electronics online for this very reason, but bought this with an Amazon giftcard....shoulda bought some music instead.

Question:

Given my issue described above, is it safe to say it's the 4 in1?  The reason i ask, is I was thinking of keeping the tx and sim disc so that i could practice while the exchange is taking place.  But if there's a chance that it's the TX, i will return the whole thing.  I've asked Xheli the same thing, but wanted your thoughts based on the fact that you guys seem to know the Lama better than they do (or at least take the the time to discuss with me).  Thanks.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:59 PM
pgroom_68

Thanks for the support guys. I tried to unbind and rebind with no luck. Also tried new batteries and that didn't work. Finally got through to Xheli and after a bit of troubleshooting, they've determined that something is defective and I need to return the unit. Can't believe they want me to pay for shipping, given the fact they took my money and still haven't delivered what i paid for. I never buy electronics online for this very reason, but bought this with an Amazon giftcard....shoulda bought some music instead.

Question:

Given my issue described above, is it safe to say it's the 4 in1? The reason i ask, is I was thinking of keeping the tx and sim disc so that i could practice while the exchange is taking place. But if there's a chance that it's the TX, i will return the whole thing. I've asked Xheli the same thing, but wanted your thoughts based on the fact that you guys seem to know the Lama better than they do (or at least take the the time to discuss with me). Thanks.
Hey again J,

Did you try it again? unplugging and replugging your bird with the Tx switched on (and wait for 10 seconds). Reensure that your trims are all correct (including the lowering of your throttle trim)........

Failing these things - It IS prob the 4in1 unit at fault - but there is a chance that it is the Tx. Return it all - just to be sure!
If I was closer to you I would post you a Tx so you could at least FMS sim (downloadable for free from internet) - maybe someone else would be generous to you... Saying that - there is not a lot that you can learn from FMS that you wont be able to pick up easily when your replacement arrives - I guess you will just be sending it back and trying to smile[sm=what_smile.gif]

P.S. Take heart - music is not as much fun
Old 01-07-2010, 02:20 PM
jllphan

Yessir, i tried as you suggested with no luck. Your right, returning the whole thing seems prudent. I've gone this long without a Lama, what's a couple more weeks.

Oh, and thank you thank you thank you for the link to http://www.helitek-rc.com/ . Those guys are great: super fast shipping, great communication and way above average customer service. My order shipped one day later than anticipated and Ernie made it up to me way more than necessary.Of the four stores i've purchased heli gear from thusfar.... BYFAR my best experience, highly recomended!
Old 01-10-2010, 06:27 PM
46u

I ordered a new 4 in 1 from Heli Direct for a custom Lama 3 I am building. When I got it it bind just fine but when I would plug the battery in to it and turn on my TX it would take minutes before it would receive the signal. The at times it would just lose the signal for no reason. Sent it back and they have a new one on its way to me. I have never had any problems with the 4 in 1 in my other 2 Lama V3. But I sure have read a lot about new ones being bad out of the box.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:39 AM
pgroom_68

Yessir, i tried as you suggested with no luck. Your right, returning the whole thing seems prudent. I've gone this long without a Lama, what's a couple more weeks.
Oh, and thank you thank you thank you for the link to http://www.helitek-rc.com/ . Those guys are great: super fast shipping, great communication and way above average customer service. My order shipped one day later than anticipated and Ernie made it up to me way more than necessary. Of the four stores i've purchased heli gear from thusfar.... BY FAR my best experience, highly recomended!
Hey again J,

Yea. Ernie (and up until a few months back) Tony are both very helpful and "into" modding & flying themselves........ It really does make a difference if the guy who sells parts to you has used/uses them on his own birds!![sm=wink_smile.gif]

Old 01-11-2010, 12:55 AM
barak1001

I don't work with Ernie anymore, but thanks Peter.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:12 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: barak1001
I don't work with Ernie anymore, but thanks Peter.
Hey again Tony,

You helped me out on more than one occassion - so now you are concentrating on flying only - eh?

Old 01-12-2010, 04:04 PM
46u

I finished my V3 custom. The first 4 in 1 I received was bad so I had to send it back and the replacement got here late yesterday.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:04 AM
pgroom_68

Hey again 46u,

V-E-R-Y N-I-C-E

I would need a [link=http://www.rchelicoptershop.com/catalog/lp0002-turbo-shaft-for-lama-dauphin-comanche-p-342.html?osCsid=06570c9r4dvnt3tt00c4js14f3]Turboshaft[/link] and shortened flybar if I had that bird! I would be flying the skids off it! (scroll down within link to play videos of FFF flying)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.