Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

Esky Lama V3

Old 06-06-2007, 09:48 AM
mondo50

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Esky Lama V3

Gentlemen...this is just my opinion on the Lama V3. I have had mine for about 6 months now. I also have a Walkera 36 and a TREX 450SE. The only problem that I have noticed with the Lama is the rotor blades. I believe..and again this is only my opinion..that the blades are too flexible. By this I mean, if you are going in FF and suddenly decide to make a hard turn or try to suddenly go into a hover, the blades can not handle the forces on them and they bend quite a bit. Sometimes this sudden bending results in a tail boom strike. This heli is not made for really hard flying, it is an excellent trainer for someone wanting to get into helicopters. One can learn alot from flying this little gem. There are better blades for this machine. They are available at www.Miracle-Mart.com. This website has many upgrades also. I have redone my little Lama to the pod and boom style. In conclusion, fly the Lama with loving care, it is not a 3D machine and can not handle excessive stresses caused by sudden maneuvers. Each change in direction and altitude must be done with extreme care and be done slowly. Just my opinion.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:39 AM
boyrazalo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I also encountered that problem of the flybar popping-off, flying away and I even lost mine. When I read the Manual on Hirobo XRB, in the section of cyclic controls, I found out that when you push the cyclic forward from a hovering position, at first, the lower rotors tilt forward but the main shaft and the upper rotors still maintain their hovering position. Then the main shaft tilt forward but the upper rotors and the flybar still maintain their position. Finally because the main shaft had already tilted forward, the upper rotors and the flybar follow in tilting forward. Take note that the flybar controls the upper rotor by means of the linkage between them.

What does this mean? The flybar function as a GYRO to stabilize the helicopter in the position it has taken. When you change this position by a cyclic input, it initially resist the cyclic input and if the input is sudden and vigorous, it pops-out of its seat in the rotor head because of its resistance. Because the Lama does not have a mechanism to keep it with the helicopter, it flies away. If the flybar is prevented from popping-out, there is a possiblity of breaking the rotor head which often happens with the BCX.

In my Lama, I still allow the flybar to pop-out but I am preventing if from separating from the Lama and getting lost. How?
I simply tied a small dm. fishing nylon line at the base of the rotor head, then I loop the other end across the rotor head over the flybar joint with the rotor head, then tie it at the base of the rotor head. Cut the excess nylon line. As a result, the flybar still pops-out but it is still hanging from the rotor head. I am no longer lossing a flybar. This mod does not make the Lama vibrate or wobble; it still has a stable hover.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:57 AM
boyrazalo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The blade clashes occur when there is an abrupt stop to the rotation of the rotor shaft such as when hitting a wall or a static object or when the pilot suddenly throttle down to prevent hitting an object. If you notice, both the upper and lower rotor heads pivot forward as well as backward and it is this pivoting which enables blades to clash against another blade. How?

The flybar and the upper rotor blades travel the same way counterclockwise but the flybar is a permanent fixture meaning it does not pivot forward or backward. So when the rotor suddenly stop rotating, the upper rotor blades, in a momentum, continues to travel forward hitting the static flybar. On the other hand, the lower rotor blades which rotating clockwise, when its rotor shaft stop rotating, continues to travel forward in a momentum hitting the upper rotor blades which has been stopped by the flybar. In a hard landing, the both the upper and rotor blades bend down because of the momentum of the landing and clash with whatever blades are in its path. The lower blades clash against the tail boom.

I reduced the angle of my tail boom by 50% and I am no longer having a tail boom strike. I also placed a barrier at the leading edge of the blade grips to prevent the forward momentum of the blades and I am no longer having chips or dents or nicks in my blades.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:14 AM
boyrazalo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When a helicopter fly, it keeps on moving by itself for various reasons: it could be un updraft or air turbulence. Many pilots are saying that when flying a small room, the rotors push air downwards and this bounces into whatever direction so that even the walls bounce air from it. This affects the flight of a helicopter. So it suddently veers to the right or left, front or back, or goes up or down. These movements are normal and that is why we have controls in the transmitter to counter these to maintain a stable hover. The Lama is very docile although it has its caprices, so docile that it can hover by itself (hands off hovering). The single rotor helicopter is wild; it does not stay in one position; the pilot has to be in control to make the helicopter hover (by hover I mean that it stays in one spot).

The death roll that have been referred to could possibly be a Lama reacting to some factors in the room so it could not be a servo glitch.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:19 AM
boyrazalo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Maybe you could trim your gain pot. Try rotating it a little to the right to increase gain, little by little until the tail stays put. But if starts wagging (tail lashing back and forth) fast, reduce the trim a little. Try it.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:00 PM
vega2614

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow, very good, detailed explanation.

Does anyone know if you can change the throttle endpoints on the Lama? I'm using it for a plane and I suspect full throttle on the transmitter isn't yielding full throttle on my motor.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:48 PM
boyrazalo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It can be done with the quality or branded radio systems like the futaba, optic 6, jr and so on which can be programmed. But I believe it can not be done by the stock radio of the Lama V3 because it is not programable. I could be wrong though.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:53 PM
boyrazalo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi retired guy. I am also a retired government worker in the Philippines (2003) and was induced to this hobby only last january 07 and has been terribly addicted ever since. Please refer to my post regarding your flybar problem at page 3.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:00 PM
boyrazalo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Retired guy, in the Lama it is the intention of the manufacturer to let the flybar pop-off during crashes or instances wherein the rotors are made to suddenly stop rotating in order to prevent the rotor head from splitting and much worse, bending the shaft. Rotor head splits are happening to the Blade Cx because their rotor head has a screw to prevent the popping-off of the flybar. Unfortunately, Lama has no mechanism to prevent a popped-off flybar completely separating so it flies away and perhaps get lost as had been my experience also.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:33 PM
retired911guy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Boyrazalo: Yep, I still haven't found mine after months of looking. I switched to CNC aluminum parts and have not had a recurrence either on the Lama or the BCX2. Or maybe I just gotten better at controlling them. Since you read my original post, it was in straight forward flight when it took off on its own and precipitated the crash. A 12 Ga. shotgun couldn't have brought it down any faster. I am impressed with your explanation and expertise.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:41 AM
MrChaos

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi everybody.

I was wondering if there is a standard setup for the gain & proporsonal ?

cause I can't get my lama v3 up in the air, cause when it's about 2 mm off the ground, it's starting to wobble from side to side, back and forward, I have charged my battery 10 times now and tried to trim it.
I have to say that I haven't bourght it from new, so I don't know if the person who had it before me have changed som settings on it, by I have tried to talk with my lokal rc shop and they said that it was those 2 I had to trim, now I have tried so many times and it dosen't work.

sorry for my English, i'm from Denmark, but I hope you understand me
Old 01-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Bcolici

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i seriously doubt it is the proportional or gain,more likely something is setup incorrect or damaged.those two adjustments are for tuning the gyro and motor ratio.When you say wobble is it like something is bent??can you achieve more lift than 2 mm.??
Old 01-12-2008, 11:18 AM
MrChaos

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nothing is bend, it's just got all the alu upgrade parts that you can buy for it, yes I can get to more than 2 mm off lift, but then I can't controll it and it crashes.
but I can trim it so that it won't go to either side or forward og back, while I wan't to fly, it's just starts to wobble again.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Bcolici

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

is it the tail that wobbles or the whole heli?
Old 01-12-2008, 12:07 PM
MrChaos

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's the whole heli no matter what I do I just can't get it to be stabil
Old 01-12-2008, 12:11 PM
MrChaos

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And it's only when et get's so many rpm's so it gets lift to more than 2 - 3 mm above ground
Old 01-12-2008, 12:17 PM
SamArpin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry to go off on a tangent but I'm new at this and can't work out how to ask a question.
I have just bought a Lama V3 but can't get the joystick to work when using the flight simulator cd. I have already downloaded ppjoy but can't seem to activate it. Any ideas??????
Thanks
Old 01-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Bcolici

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i would check the inner and outer shafts to make sure they are true, check flybar check swash.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:42 PM
MrChaos

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

rcfreakazoid : I have checked it all, and everything is like should be, maybe I just need to buy a new one and use this one as spareparts
Old 01-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Bcolici

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

it took some tinkering to get mine to work but that was for my falcon 40 some time ago.search the forums on that topic you should be able to find how to get it to work.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Bcolici

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry im out of ideas,but obviously something is not right somewhere.Is this your first Heli??
Old 01-12-2008, 06:10 PM
MrChaos

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No it's not my first heli, I have a e-sky honey bee cp2 and a night ranger II from venom.

I tried to change the inner driveshaft to the original just a new one, and it does the same, but I found out that the balance bar on top is bending just a little bit upwards, it's just 1 mm, but enough to see it, could this be it or ?
though I got 2 other heli's, this one is the first with double rotor's so I don't know that much about how they work or how much or little it takes so it don't work.

if I hold the heli in my hand, and start it up and look on the blades, driveshaft and balance bar, then there isn't any wobbeling in them.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:41 PM
majorwoody

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello,

I am not trying to hijack this thread so If I am out of line let me know. I just got a v3 lama for my birthday and have a couple of question since I am new to the RC helicopter world. 1. Do the blades have to be tightened? 2. What causes the heli to go left and dig in the ground. Thanks
Old 01-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Bcolici

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

blades should not be tightend all the way,tighten them so that when the heli is held on its side with blades extended and given a little shake they should fall.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Bcolici

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I dont know if a warped gear would be the cause but it wouldnt hurt to look and see,also try to straighten out the flybar see if it helps.are the flybar weights the same at each end?i use the flybar from the Vortech its shorter and the weights are on with a set screw unlike my v4s flybar .

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service