Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
Reload this Page >

New Version of Honey Bee King

Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

New Version of Honey Bee King

Old 06-06-2007, 09:48 PM
betapilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Version of Honey Bee King

I got caught in post world, I had not read wrx's reply so when i said i like the esk better, i was referring to the eflite tx and not the spek 7. in fact it as come down to the spek 7 as my main choice for my new tx
Old 06-06-2007, 10:07 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: DriveWRX

ORIGINAL: crashcrash

What kind of main motor does it come with? Im thinking the standard 370 9T right? I won't be going BL for a while but if I like this heli...I will do it.
crashcrash,
I believe you will like this heli. I really do!
I went BL, Just Go Fly 400DH (8T pinion) and CC25 ESC. With a MegaPower 1350mAh 15C battery, this heli is amazing.
I found a ESky BL motor/ESC combo deal on eBay (sorry don't have a link). 3100kv motor and a 25A ESC for $30. This motor is slightly underpowered, so it's good for basic flying. A good start anyways.

Do you still have the DX6 that you mentioned earlier? If you do, the King V2 only gets better!
I have the DX7 and the fine tuning that you can do really make this heli so much fun to fly.

When you get your heli, I suggest checking everything! And I mean everything.
Here's why:
- I found that the thrust bearings in the rotor head were NOT lubricated! [X(]
- Others have found step washers installed the wrong way on the belt pulleys.
- The tail pushrod binds when using the rod guides. (I don't use them because of this...)
- Some of the servo wire routing came too close to moving parts.
- I had to balance the main blades. They were pretty far off!
- I had to adjust the links to get tracking correct.

But that's stuff that should be done anyway on any heli!

Here's my King V2. It's a BLAST!
JGF 400DH, CC25, DX7 (AR6100 rx), HS55 on the swash, HS50 on the tail, G90 HH gyro and a custom battery tray.
(These are old pictures, it's slightly different now.)

My DX6 is garbage...I got one that has the heli issues...I could try it but I'll need settings for the DX6 to try it. Remember reading about DX6 that has collective issues???? Mine has it.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:25 PM
betapilot

it is my understanding that the 6 and the 7 are completely different radios, but lke I said, the stock tx works really well. I would try it stock first and then consider whether it is worth ponying up the dough for a different tx. Just a thought, did I spell ponying right? is there a way to spell ponying right? I might ought to go to bed, oh well, simpsons time.

Rusty
Old 06-06-2007, 10:29 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: betapilot

it is my understanding that the 6 and the 7 are completely different radios, but lke I said, the stock tx works really well. I would try it stock first and then consider whether it is worth ponying up the dough for a different tx. Just a thought, did I spell ponying right? is there a way to spell ponying right? I might ought to go to bed, oh well, simpsons time.

Rusty
I'll need to stick with stock for about 6 months...been out of work since Jan with a broken hand.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:36 PM
metabolicmaggot

Man those pics are beautiful I need to get one, that motor looks so nice.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Whirley Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Hi Tec servos and the out runer BL motor but I don't intend to put it in.
I just looked at the pictures and would like to know what you did to the front of the heli to mount the battery slanted.
Did you remove the bottom part?
Can you snap a picture with the battery removed?
Thanks
Vegas/
Old 06-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Whirley Bird

Your gonna buy the HBK # 2 so you can mount that motor?
Vegas/
Old 06-06-2007, 11:41 PM
geoffrs

ORIGINAL: Whirley Bird

Get the VER # 2.
It's a super machine.
Jag hobbies has them for $149.99
Does anyone know much about Jag Hobbies or has anyone bought from them? They have the best price on the HB King 2, but the web site isn't much. Seems like a small operation. Just want to make sure they're ok to buy from before I buy.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:24 AM
sdmahr

I've done a lot of looking around and decided to get the Honey Bee King II. I ordered the Bare Bone Kit from Heli-Fever.com for $61.00 and change + shipping. I've been flying a Blade CP since February....and its not stock at all. The only stock parts left are the head and tail.

For the King I'm going to use the Esky 3900KV brushless w/Sonix 30Amp speed control, HS55 servos, Spektrum DX6 TX/RX, Esky Head-lock Gyro (currently on my Blade), and a fresh 1350 3 cell Lipo. This will be my first belt drive tail.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Scott
Old 06-07-2007, 09:44 AM
crashcrash

Looks like Eflite is in for a bit of a suprise eh? Build a better and cheaper heli...they will come.Name Code Qty Each Options
---------------------------------------------------------------
Esky Honey Bee King II EH-EK-E016 1 169.50
6CH CCPM Electric RC
Helicopter RTF
Subtotal 169.50
Shipping 17.95
Total 187.45

ORIGINAL: sdmahr

I've done a lot of looking around and decided to get the Honey Bee King II. I ordered the Bare Bone Kit from Heli-Fever.com for $61.00 and change + shipping. I've been flying a Blade CP since February....and its not stock at all. The only stock parts left are the head and tail.

For the King I'm going to use the Esky 3900KV brushless w/Sonix 30Amp speed control, HS55 servos, Spektrum DX6 TX/RX, Esky Head-lock Gyro (currently on my Blade), and a fresh 1350 3 cell Lipo. This will be my first belt drive tail.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Scott
Old 06-07-2007, 09:54 AM
betapilot

hey scott, I run that very motor in one of my kings and use a castle 30a and it works great. I also have king that I did the rcsmart 4200 w/ programmable esc and it works better. now I just finished anoher king with the align 4300 and castle 30a esc and the difference is noticable from the other two. if you had the orginal king or the cool, you will like the belt tail much better. Esky did not do a very good job on the shaft drive tail like falcon or align. You will definitely like it better than the blade cp or pro. Well congrats and enjoy the flights

also - geoffrs, try enjoy hobbies. you can find them on google, I just picked up another king2 arf for 51 plus shipping and a falcon rtf (not the caron ed) for 215 plus shipping. they are one of the largest hobby stores in hongkong and Sam Huang the owner is a super guy. they ship very fast and not at the joke shipping prices you see on ebay for the love of pete. contact is immediate after the sale to let you know when they will ship. I have bought my last four helis from him and will continue to do so as he gives discounts to repeaters like me. supposedly hobby-lobby will beat any price by 10% but the support is n/a. everytime you call you feel like your dealing with minimum wage high school kid that could care less cause that blunt is still fogging his mind. just a suggestion
Old 06-07-2007, 09:58 AM
betapilot

crash have you already got it? where did you order from? what color did you get? I am anticipating some pics of your inverted skills on your new bird.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:27 AM
crashcrash

crash have you already got it? where did you order from? what color did you get? I am anticipating some pics of your inverted skills on your new bird.

LOL...I haven't got through FF/nose in yet because my heli never flew stable enough or stayed running long enough. "Inverted" Baughhhhhhhhawwwwhaaaaaaa. I'd be happy to fly it in a mild pattern flight....and get some nose in.

I won't know color till it gets here...I hope yellow(orange?). Ordered it thru Hobb EStore...I've ordered thru them before. Good stuff...bad parts support.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Jakecd7

vegas,

does this have Heading Hold Gyro or is that some type of 4in1?
Old 06-07-2007, 11:01 AM
betapilot

well if you need any parts just let me know, I have developed quite the parts connections and have a ton of spares. I have the yellow (how did they get orange out of that), and the white and I like the yell better myself. I am working on a couple of different canopy ideas and I will let you know how they come out, could be some custom canopies in the near future. I did something this morning that I am really digging right now, I just installed some killer nav lights on my blade cp, (guinea pig) just to see how they look and I am hooked, these things are awesome. pull up item number 230131258613 on ebay, just enter it in your search and check out the lights. look at his other items for sale also,he has several different ones, half a second to install and he is right, no noticeable ifference in flight times. I turned off all the lights in the room and it looked awesome hovering in the dark. I will post video as quick as I can. now I am going to go light up a king and see how it looks with some new lighting
Old 06-07-2007, 11:16 AM
crashcrash

LOL....yeah, I got the NAV lights too, had them on the Pro.

well if you need any parts just let me know, I have developed quite the parts connections and have a ton of spares. I have the yellow (how did they get orange out of that), and the white and I like the yell better myself. I am working on a couple of different canopy ideas and I will let you know how they come out, could be some custom canopies in the near future. I did something this morning that I am really digging right now, I just installed some killer nav lights on my blade cp, (guinea pig) just to see how they look and I am hooked, these things are awesome. pull up item number 230131258613 on ebay, just enter it in your search and check out the lights. look at his other items for sale also,he has several different ones, half a second to install and he is right, no noticeable ifference in flight times. I turned off all the lights in the room and it looked awesome hovering in the dark. I will post video as quick as I can. now I am going to go light up a king and see how it looks with some new lighting
Old 06-07-2007, 11:35 AM
sdmahr

I wish I had known I could get the ARF for $51.00 ! ! ! Would have been nice to save another $10.00 to spend somewhere else. Makes you wonder how much these things REALLY cost.....they aren't selling them at any price without MAKING money ! !

Beta, Glad to hear you know where to get the spares. I have a fair stash for my Blade, (I'm retiring it to my Son who has now taken interest). Where is the best site on-line, (preferably state-side), for King II spares?

By the way.....how many teeth pinion did you run on the Esky 3900 motor? I ordered a 8T and 9T pinion hoping that would do it.

Thanks

Scott
Old 06-07-2007, 12:57 PM
betapilot

hey scott, I ran an 8t on my 4300 and 4200 and 9t on the 3900 and all work perfectly for my flying. I actually put a 12t on the 4200 rcsmart just to see what it did and it caused some lazy tail control, even the 10t was too much.

As far as parts, most of what I get comes from the great Kong, but if I want something quik I use RC HELICOPTER AIRPLANE CAR WORLD out of Texas. They are fast and have everything. I must give the advice that I follow to e an honest person so I really suggest going o enjoyhobbies and ding the arf's. I recently started doing it that way and yes it does take longer to get the parts but you do save quite a bit of money that way. If all I were saving was 10 or 20 bucks then I would just throw my support locally, but when you can buy EVERYTHING you will need in the event of a crash and still have spares for 76 bucks to my door, I got to go that way. I have actually wrecked a bird bad enough to rebuild the arf instead of the wrecked bird and I still have the wreckage to salvage out with ebay parts.

http://www.enjoyhobbies.net/ Check my man Huang out and see what you think. I religiously follow ebay and just won another hdx300 brushless combo for .99c and 9.85 shipping. looks like a cp2 is in for an upgrade. That is where you find the real bargains, I also picked an eflite hh gyro for a blade I have, factory in the package for 28 bucks including shipping.

Also look at helidirect aka helirus. great guy and some killer deals. he is also stateside. I have lots more and if you ever have trouble getting something just give me a shout and I can probably come up with it for you.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:59 PM
betapilot

hey are you in Ft. Worth? if so you have a great source locally. that is where rc helicopter plane world is
Old 06-07-2007, 01:39 PM
sdmahr

Ft. Worth ? ? I WISH ! ! I'm stuck WAY DOWN SOUTH in the Valley......McAllen to be exact. This place is 10 years plus behind the rest of the world. LHS is a darn HobbyTown.....overpriced and understocked. There is one other place but I swear he is 40% higher priced that HobbyTown. I mail order EVERYTHING. Heli parts, auto parts, household stuff, etc. If you can't get it at WalMart, you aint gonna find it here. Oh well, I won't turn this into a VALLEY RANT.

In any case, thanks for hookin' me up with the contacts. That HDX300 combo is nice. Thats what I am running now on my Blade. Plenty of punch for sure. The motor looks exactly like the Esky series of outrunners. I watch Ebay religiously. I've scored alot of good stuff there. Out of 100 purchases I've never really took a beating. I know lots have, but my luck has been good. I've also had excellent service from Hong Kong and China. I prefer to get spares locally just so I don't have the wait for shipping......hey man, when your down your down !

Sounds like my pinions ought to work out fine. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:54 PM
sdmahr

Fiber Frame for Blade CP and CPP @ www.heli-fever.com

Check out that fiber frame. That is what I have on my Blade CP. I really like it....and it incorporates the wider and much heavier duty landing gear plus more room for your goodies, (ESC, RX, Batt, etc). I couldn't believe I could get the whole thing for $24.?? bucks ! !

This is the same place I ordered my King II from this week.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:58 PM
DriveWRX

ORIGINAL: Whirley Bird

I just looked at the pictures and would like to know what you did to the front of the heli to mount the battery slanted.
Did you remove the bottom part?
Can you snap a picture with the battery removed?
Thanks
Vegas/
First, this wasn't my idea/design. The original was made by Letcraft on RC Groups.
Go [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7402390&postcount=740]here[/link].
And [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7404717&postcount=743]here[/link].

The best thing about this mod is nothing on the frame is modified! So, if it doesn't work out for you or your needs, simply remove it.
The details:
- Sheet plastic for the tray.
- Angled balsa block, soaked with CA. Zip tied and servo taped to the frame's upper tray.
- Velcro to secure the batteries.

You'll need to play with the angle to get the best fit inside the canopy with your battery .
I have Mega Power 1350mAh 15C and 20C batteries as well as the stock ESky battery. The 20C was the biggest, so I used that to fit the tray on the frame. I still had to modify the mounting holes on the canopy to get some extra room. The 15C and stock battery fit nicely.

The main benefits of this mod are better roll rates, because the weight is in line with the rotational axis. However, I'm not at that stage yet! The other benefit, at least for me, was it opened up more mounting possibilities for the ESC, Rx and gyro.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47645.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	699686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23277.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	699687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60781.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	699688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47792.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	699689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd44362.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	699690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yp94567.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	699691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jl93775.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	699692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk37240.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	699693  

Old 06-07-2007, 11:17 PM
crashcrash

Hi all....love the pics! waiting for my HBKII to arrive. I've sold off my Eflite CP Pro, so now maybe I can do some flying instead of FIXING (no crashes involved either). Other CP Pro owners have started to shift to the KINGII...this thread might get busy...we know you're here. I contacted JCS Hobbies about Plasti-Blades for the KingII...they don't have them yet but they'll be watching us. If there's a market for the KINGII and the T-Rex...he'll get it going. Plasti-Blades are not as good as carbon fiber, but are way better than woodies. They just dont break...period. Just my $.02 worth. I've had many strikes with the Plasti-Blades...back in the air in 5 minutes with the CP-Pro, just straighten the spindle and hope like heck you didn't bend the main rotor shaft...which don't normally happen, but it does happen sometimes.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:36 AM
Whirley Bird

Better buy when you can.
Tonight I just got the last one from Jag hobbies.
Vegas/
[quote]ORIGINAL: crashcrash

I so much appreciate your input. I'm going to the HBKII for sure. I can't deal with the substandard trash any longer.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:42 AM
betapilot

wrx, I like the mod. gram wise what are you running? I guess my question is, does a 120g battery affect the nose or vertical cg? At what point does it start to. I just run my larger batteries underbelly mostly for cg purposes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.