Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 246 of 252 FirstFirst ... 146196236244245246247248 ... LastLast
Results 6,126 to 6,150 of 6294

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Honeybee King v2 tuner shop

yea i used just loctite the first time around, but then i ended up flatspotting it a little bit last night. hopefully it was enough. i'm guessing i should flatspot the scorpion one too for the dragonus, eventhough i used loctite on it? i was afraid to do it, so as not to void warranty.
    Kyosho: FW05-T, TR-15 ST, InfernoGT, Seawind; Heli: HoneyBeeKing2, Evo50, 4#3B, DragonusElite2; 1:1 Mitsubishi Evo 8 and 10

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Been reading and wondering what all I would need to convert to the shaft driven tail boom?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The only warranty that you could possibly void would be if the shaft snapped but you are not trying to dig a hole just put a spot flat enough for the set screw to bite on so you should be okay. With the kind of power the Scorp set-up has I would definitely take as many precautions as I could.
    Rusty
    Castlerock Hobbies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can someone post a link to a site that sells these Scorpion motors? I've seen them in magazines and hear you guys talking about them. I have a Belt CP V2 and wanted to know which one I should go with? Is the performance from stock a huge difference?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: heritageman

Been reading and wondering what all I would need to convert to the shaft driven tail boom?
    there are a couple helis from which you can take the parts and betapilot can give you more detail about that, but if you just want the bare MINIMUM, you can use HBK1 setup. you only need the following from HBK1:
    1) tail boom and shaft combo, not sold separately http://www.helidirect.com/tail-boom-...king-p-850.hdx
    2) you can keep the HBK2 frame for the shaft conversion (might need to sand the part where tail boom goes in, of anything that sticks out). it works this way, you just can't use HBK1 frame with a belt. so if you want to switch back and forth, stay with HBK2 frame.
    3) get this gear: http://www.helidirect.com/auto-rotat...cool-p-653.hdx this gear uses 2 set screws to hold on to the main shaft. use the hole that was there for the pulley, or pretty much anywhere else on the shaft, because with 2 set screws and loctite, it'll definitely stay on, not like pinion gears.
    4) you'll need this for the tail http://www.helidirect.com/tail-drive...cool-p-682.hdx and this http://www.helidirect.com/tail-rotor...cool-p-681.hdx unless you can remove the tail pulley and use that shaft, but then you can't swap back and forth easily if you end up not liking it.

and that's it! everything else fits both. it's a really quick swap and like i said, you can go back and forth between them if you run out of parts for one or the other. betapilot also stocks some of the parts for HBK1 as well as Scorpion motors (Joey).
    then you won't have to worry about frayed belts and low tail rotor ratio and belt tension and belt popping off. just make sure the tail boom gear doesn't mesh too tight with the gear in step 3.

the drawback of shaft driven is that in a really bad boom strike crash, you may need to pay $12 for the whole boom/shaft, but for light blade strikes, i have straightened out the boom and removed and straightened the shaft well enough so i don't have vibrations

Kyosho: FW05-T, TR-15 ST, InfernoGT, Seawind; Heli: HoneyBeeKing2, Evo50, 4#3B, DragonusElite2; 1:1 Mitsubishi Evo 8 and 10

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: joizeex

the drawback of shaft driven is that in a really bad boom strike crash, you may need to pay $12 for the whole boom/shaft, but for light blade strikes, i have straightened out the boom and removed and straightened the shaft well enough so i don't have vibrations

I think thats why im biased against shaft drives aka "torque tubes"
    My Heli is like my wife................Need i say more?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well, just don't crash so hard it only really gets expensive with bigger helis anyway. the boom alone on my nitro is $11, but it uses a belt.

there are some options, like falcon shaft and boom which is stronger and the shaft is plastic so it doesn't bend permanently and can take up a slightly bent boom. it needs some modding and costs a lil more, but obviously won't need to be replaced every time. Rusty knows more about it. Belt wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the terrible ratios. Even the 44T pulley has smaller tail ratio than shaft driven.

this is my 400th post, nice

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So shafts give you better tail authority? im wondering if i should make the Xtreme pully my next puchase,

I puchased Phoenix RC this week, did all the updates, Far out its miles better than Clearview and im finding im having to learn to fly again

But onto a more serous matter, im thinking about the shaft and pinion i currently have, i have an adjustable pinion but the Xtreme 400x motor doesnt have the flat spot that some have, i have semi perminant loctite in there but im unsure as to whether thats enough.

Id rather not test my somewhat limited skills in autorotations while im getting serious.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Xtreme belt pulley upgrade works well and has a good bang-for-the-buck. It is supposed to get the tail rotor ratio pretty close to what it is on big helicopters - much better than the low ratio the stock pulley has. Be sure to get an extra belt with it though, since the old, stock belts won't work with it.

Cheers,
    Dave

FreeX/Skyview quadcopter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can also take a Dremal to the Xtreme 400 motor and put a small flat spot in it to get the set screw to bite. That's what I did to my stock Esky motor and it holds real well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Go with the microheli pulley if you are going to spend the money, it is just simply a better part than the xtreme. Poor quality and poor engineering on the xtreme in my experience have created more problems for customers than they have helped, from wallering out around the main shaft to causing undue wear on the belt.

On your motor, I would definitely spot the shaft even if you have loctite, better safe than sorry. All you're looking to do is just give the set screw enough bite not to slip, it does not require a deep groove so don't worry about degrading the integrity of the shaft.
    Rusty
    Castlerock Hobbies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree....the set screws are designed to press on a flat spot not a round shaft. It does not take much force to let the pinion spin on the shaft, marring it up and probably causing a crash. It does not take much of a flat at all, that way even if it loosens a bit it still cannot spin off.

I finally got to the point in flying where the weak tail is causing me lots of problems. The xtreme belt for almost 8 bux is bs to me....the microheli belt is not much more then the stock esky ones ....so I would go that route for that reason alone. I am going to try the 39t King 3 pulley with Trex tail blades and see how it goes.....less then a $10 mod and you can still use the stock belt. If it cannot produce tail control under full throttle then I will try the microheli pulley.

Anybody know some different canopies that fit the King 2 ok??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Look back at the first pages of this thread, there are a ton of canopies that fit really well and look good for the kings.

I know they quit making the one for the hdx 300 but there are some tail shaft with higher tooth counts and they are easier to change than the gearing up front. I used to carry a gear set and tail shaft kit that worked really well but my distributor quit carrying them and I have not been able to find a set I like since, but increasing the tail shaft gear will produce the same results with much less work. I ran the 11t from hdx and it gave the tail almost too much snap, look around you can probably find those kits out there.
    Rusty
    Castlerock Hobbies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey mate, thanks for the advice everyone,

I put a V in the shaft yesterday and loctited it up nice, i didnt expect the steel shaft to be as tough as it was
    had to try several files to get it right, finally worked with a tetra file for sharpening saws.

Do yo have the micro heli pully on your site Rusty? i couldnt find it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

so now i'm certain that my Esky 1800 batts are dying, and they were kinda weak to begin with at 15C, so that's why i've been losing climb out power.

I tried my Outrage 2200mAh 25C that i bought for the Dragonus in the HBK and holy poopballs! It's like the HBK was injected with steroids. 1.21 jigawatts! I never thought the 3800 Esky motor and ESC could go berserk like this. The head speed shot up so much that tail rotor was overcompensating to counter the main's torque and the moment i would punch collective, i thought the heli would take off into the clouds never to be seen again. The interesting thing is that even though Outrage batteries are extremely light compared to other brands, the 2200's are naturally 36g heavier than 1800 Esky, but the POWER they supplied, more than makes up for the 36 grams difference. Too bad i can't do any crazy 3D yet, because it seemed like the heli would slice through the air like a buzz saw. I had to land it because it was too touchy for me and the tail would have to be adjusted to compensate less.

then i tried Joeyhatch's hong kong 1800mAh 20C batteries and that was more to my liking in terms of still having good power, but without the insanity for which i'm not ready yet lol. So what do you guys use?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here you go Renat, you will not be disappointed. http://cgi.ebay.com/2-x-2200mah-11-1...3A1%7C294%3A30

They also have my 1800mah's a little cheaper. http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Lipo-battery-...3A1%7C294%3A30

They say they dont come with Dean connectors but all 4 of mine had them installed. But the Outrage are insane I couldn't believe the difference in power over the stocks. Although yesterday I did notice that the stock Esky coudln't handle all the fast flying I was doing yesterday so I had to take it easy on that pack.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I thought it was on there somewhere, lol. I will find it and post the link for you.
    Rusty
    Castlerock Hobbies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

sorry man, it took me a couple of minutes to find it, lol. Here it is buddy
    http://www.castlerockhobbies.com/product_p/mh44t.htm
    Rusty
    Castlerock Hobbies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

interesting, those 2200 ones are only 8g heavier than the outrage version. I find that impressive, because everything else that i remember from hobbycity, was much heavier ("much" in terms of %, because actual values in grams may not seem significant). I wonder how they hold up over time. And the 1800 ones are only 15g lighter than 2200, so it makes sense to just get the 2200's. So it all depends on longevity i guess. For the HBK i'm usually more budget oriented, but on bigger machines i like to go for the really good stuff.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: betapilot

sorry man, it took me a couple of minutes to find it, lol. Here it is buddy
    http://www.castlerockhobbies.com/product_p/mh44t.htm

Dooood! i cant believe i missed that. thanks,

hey J, Do you use short cells in your angle tray
    cos at thie moment im using big fat long cells to get correct CG,
    Im thinking of getting the Xtreme GF frame but i cant fit my 10mm boom to the 8mm holder
    and am not really wanting to revert.

Do you guys know of any shorter length 3cell Lipos like the stock esky ones
    appart from the xtremes that is?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey Kelo, check these lipos out. I have 4 and love them. About to order another 2-4. Great power boost over the stock esky. You'll like and can't go wrong with that price.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

uh, link dude

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry about that. Here's the link.

These are the 1800mah: http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Lipo-battery-...3A1%7C294%3A30

These are the 2200mah: http://cgi.ebay.com/2-x-2200mah-11-1...3A1%7C294%3A30

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No problem dude, i saw those links before, they look like good prices eh,
    ill be looking for a deacent charger soon too, so if anyone has a good recommendation,

i can get the hyperion EOS and Imax b5/b6 locally.

Im beginnig to understand the Tail authority problem too, to get it to hold it has to be about a 1/3 down the shaft which means i have to limit the endpoints of travel so it doesnt grind on one end, ill proberbly deal with it for now cos with the falcon v3 HH gyro its pretty snappy but ill get too the good stuff soon i imagine.

I had my eyes on a rappy 30 V2 today, that suckkers huge, i thought it was a 60 size at first but it flies real nice on the sim,
    Im still not sold on nitro right now - thinking ill stay electric. im either gonna go for the Hurricane 550 or the Raptor e550.

Hopefully by christmas but i just bought a new guitar amp so im outa pocket lol
    im gonna cry if i crash tomorrow.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have this charger. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Charge_Capable

And I also have an adaptor that I plug into the wall that gives me a 12v adaptor output. Charges my 11.1 1800mah Lipos in about 1- 1 1/2 hours. I too was thinking of going bigger, maybe 500-600 size heli but I can't see spending $60+ on one lipo right now. I'll wait untill I get really good and probably sell off everything I have now to make that jump. We'll see. hahahaha