Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 247 of 252 FirstFirst ... 147197237245246247248249 ... LastLast
Results 6,151 to 6,175 of 6294

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Honeybee King v2 tuner shop

i have the Hyperion 606 charger. it works for lipo, li-ion, nimh, nicd, Pb and comes with built in power supply.
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rger-6S-6A-50W
    or if you already have a power adapter this version is cheaper:
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rger-6S-6A-50W
    you'll need something like this if you wanna charge all kinds of stuff http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...nector-Adapter
    and may need a different lipo adapter board than the one that's included, depending on the lipo brand you use, that's about $7 , but that hyperion is highly praised for reliability. there's also Turnigy ones you can get, that are supposedly good and reliable.

Kelo, for 500-600 electric, you'll be spending wayyy more than $60 on a battery that'll only give you like 10-15 mins of flight. not to mention that you'll need several of them to fly while the other is charging. some newer lipos allow to be charged at over 1C, but guess what, they're even more pricey. so you'll be waiting to charge them up and only have like 2 of them total, due to the price. you'll also need a more expensive charger to charge 2 at once while flying 3rd one. where as with nitro you can fill up and keep flying. 30 size doesn't use a lot of fuel, so you'll have many flights on a gallon.
    nothing wrong with electric, but for large scale, for people with lower budget, i think nitro works out better. there's some equipment to buy, but that can be had under $100. you'll eventually spend the money in fuel, but that's not the same as shelling out several hundred dollars all at once for batteries.
    i guess you guys will have to price it all out.
    Kyosho: FW05-T, TR-15 ST, InfernoGT, Seawind; Heli: HoneyBeeKing2, Evo50, 4#3B, DragonusElite2; 1:1 Mitsubishi Evo 8 and 10

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

joizeex I think you are spot on with that call. The bigger birds power requirements require serious batts that aint cheap, if I am going to spend over $60 on a batt I will have to go with whatever the price is on a real name brand batt with a warranty....because face it sometimes you don't get what you pay for with lipos or they just crap out unexpectedly...not to mention how easy you can destroy them in a crash. I hate the mess of nitro, and all the bs that comes with it but basically if you need the power I think its far more cost effective. The hobby king zippys are heavy and they do not have the power and they puff suddenly.

My cheap no name white label 1500 20c mah finally are starting to give out....I can't complain at $30 for a pair shipped, one year of flights (well over 130) and they had just enough power for me vs time...about a ten minute flight. Thing is I have no scale but I can tell they were very heavy compared to my 1250's. If I can get a batt in the same or less weight with more power I guess I need to look into the ones yall are talking about....I thought 1800-2200 would be way to heavy for the king but it sounds like the power on tap can compensate for it?!?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Heh thanks for the advice guys, i maybe converted. i looked up the price of Nitro fuel and its cheaper than regular petrol for my car ha ha.
    I think 600 for a Raptor 30 kit is pretty reasonable since the gaui550 is that price without the batteries.

Guess ill cross that bridge when it comes.

On note of bateries im looking at this one.
    http://www.xtremecx2.com/servlet/the...P-11.1V/Detail
    My Heli is like my wife................Need i say more?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Tommyjoking

joizeex I think you are spot on with that call. The bigger birds power requirements require serious batts that aint cheap, if I am going to spend over $60 on a batt I will have to go with whatever the price is on a real name brand batt with a warranty....because face it sometimes you don't get what you pay for with lipos or they just crap out unexpectedly...not to mention how easy you can destroy them in a crash. I hate the mess of nitro, and all the bs that comes with it but basically if you need the power I think its far more cost effective. The hobby king zippys are heavy and they do not have the power and they puff suddenly.
    I have two 600mm helis and now, two 425mm. All of them are flying on HK packs. You can say what you like, but my 600s are more powerful and lighter both than .50 glow helis. Heavy and puff suddenly? No.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well, osterizer, instead of being all mysterious about what magical HK batts you're using, why not tell the rest of the board, so that others can benefit from it? i for one, wouldn't mind cheaper packs for the HBK, IF they last a while. did yours?

on the subject of power, how exactly did you measure that your 600mm electric helis are more powerful than .50 nitros? i'm not trying to start anything, but if you're going to make a statement like that, for others to base their purchase decision on, please provide some basis for your statements. did you try flying a .50 and you "felt" it had less power? "feel" is a very subjective measure. did you drag race against a nitro straight up into the air? was the nitro tuned and setup properly? was it a ***** engine or something good? was it using 10%, 30% fuel?

again, i never said large electrics suck or anything, but these guys here will be spending hundreds of dollars on them, so it would help them to know how much $ an electric that's "more powerful, lighter than .50 glow" would cost, vs nitro and how good are those HK batts in terms of number of cycles before degradation of performance.

just to point something out - with a good engine, you won't have trouble with a nitro. i have an OS SX-H ringed hyper .50 and it's a "set it and forget it" motor for excellent price. i never have to touch anything on it since the initial setup, unless i use fuel with a different nitro content and even then, it takes 1 click on the main needle in or out and away it goes. as long as the engine is under 240F. the oil and fuel CAN get on various parts of the heli, mainly the bottom, but it's really not all that terrible, just keep a rag or denatured alcohol spray handy. my heli is clean enough to keep it in my living room on top of a subwoofer with a sheet of paper towel below, in case i missed a spot. joeyhatch saw me start it up and fly and he can attest to the ease of use.
    Kyosho: FW05-T, TR-15 ST, InfernoGT, Seawind; Heli: HoneyBeeKing2, Evo50, 4#3B, DragonusElite2; 1:1 Mitsubishi Evo 8 and 10

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys I need some help here. My Hov. Pit knob is all the way up and with it like that, is the only way my heli gets off the ground. When setting up my swash, I have the throttle stick at 50% and the Idle up switch flipped, swash is level and blades are very close to zero, around +1-2 on both sides. With the Hov. Pit knob all the way up. it takes about 3/4 throttle to get the heli off the ground and when I push it to full throttle it doesn't make that much of a difference. What adjustments do I have to do to the swash to get this thing right again? I'll try anything hahaha Thanks, Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

oh yea, i was thinking about your predicament after tonight and i think that your only other option is to completely unscrew the links from the final bellcranks to the swash and see how much slack they have left. you might get lucky. also do the same with links form servos to the belcranks. you might get a few mm here and there which just might get you the 6mm or whatever you lost by having that other main shaft on there. you can't really mess with the other links on the swash because when the flybar is level and blades are at 0 pitch, those arms HAVE to be parallel. so the only way to gain some travel back is at the linkages on the frame.
    just remembered that the front servo is a push-pull linkage. you might have to remove one of the links if it doesn't cause excessive flex.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: joizeex

well, osterizer, instead of being all mysterious about what magical HK batts you're using, why not tell the rest of the board, so that others can benefit from it? i for one, wouldn't mind cheaper packs for the HBK, IF they last a while. did yours?
    I wasn't being mysterious- just responding to the assertion that the HK packs in general are too heavy and puffed, when talking about larger helicopters. The important point that might have been missed there, is the scale; running a 600 you're going to want between 2500 and 3500 W. Using 10S packs (42V by spec, generally 36-38V in reality), that means you're going to use up to about 60-80A. You'll use 5000-10000mAh packs (two 5Ah packs in series, or one 10Ah), for example; even if you use two 5Ah packs in series, that means that at peak load, the hardest you'll push them in a burst, you'll ask for about 16C. At normal hover, cruise, and easier aerobatics, you're drawing 4-8C roughly. Compare that to your average King setup that pulls 5-10C (depending on the pack) just to get off the ground! The packs in my Logo 600, during aerobatic flight, are usually under less stress than the stock King pack in a hover. When you're dealing with different helicopters, the numbers change.

For the specifics, it's a Logo 600 3D Vbar, 2xZippy H 5S in series; I use 3.3, 4, 4.8 and 5Ah packs in it with a Scorpion 4025-560 motor.

ORIGINAL: joizeex
    on the subject of power, how exactly did you measure that your 600mm electric helis are more powerful than .50 nitros? i'm not trying to start anything, but if you're going to make a statement like that, for others to base their purchase decision on, please provide some basis for your statements. did you try flying a .50 and you ''felt'' it had less power? ''feel'' is a very subjective measure. did you drag race against a nitro straight up into the air? was the nitro tuned and setup properly? was it a ***** engine or something good? was it using 10%, 30% fuel?
    I'm not relying on feel- the performance of a heli is a lot more complex than that. Talking power alone, though, I've measured 2.5kW through the Logo, at about 7.5 lbs all-up, which is quite light for a .50. If you were to take a generous interpretation (i.e., the engine actually puts out the 2 HP or so that O.S. says is the max for the .50 SX-H), it's still outclassed; 2.5kW is a little over 3 1/4 HP, or 60% greater power. That is just my heli, which is moderately powered. I was talking with the Mikado team a couple of weeks ago at XFC, and one of the differences between their helis and mine is that they were using the 4035 motor, which is rated for 4.2kW, a little over 5 HP, or 2 1/2 times the power of an OS .50- you can't tune an engine to overcome any of those gaps.

I have had glow powered aircraft off and on for the last 35 years. They've improved greatly over what I had to start with, and yes, modern engines require a lot less maintenance and fiddling than they used to (though the cleanup hasn't really changed). They have a lot to recommend them; if nothing else, you're not going to crash a glow heli and taco a case of fuel! But the post I responded to said the HK packs were heavy and puffed, so they weren't useful for larger helis. I responded because it was obvious that that assertion wasn't backed by actual experience with larger helis.

Maybe if you run a 1500 mAh pack in a King at 10C continuous then people have problems; I don't know, since I've never used them in my King. But I've used LoongMax, Zippy, FlightMax, and Turnigy packs in every helicopter class larger than the King (325, 425, 550, and 600), and they work fine if you know how to create a power system with the parts matched up right.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

there you go, that's some good info we were looking for. the problem is that there are many users with good zippy packs and also many that had bad experiences. that's where the mistrust comes from. So from your experiences, how many cycles do you get out of your batteries before noticeable degradation of duration and performance and how do you rank the budget brands in terms of reliability, from best to worst?
    also, what's the operating cost for large electrics: motor + ESC + batteries, that has this kind of power. just trying to give the guys an idea what they'll be spending. My Evo50 is just about 8lb all up weight and 7.5 on an empty tank.

judging by my flight times of 10 mins, the HBK with 15C 1800mAh Esky pack is drawing 8.5A or 4.7C during hover and flying around (the pack loses all hover power at 77% or around 1400mAh charge depletion). sounds about right?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For those of you that are flying the HDX450 cnc head, where are you getting your replacement Main Shafts? It turns out that the stock Main shafts for the Belt CP V2's are too long and throw everything off. To the point where it's not enough head speed and it sucks balls. But I can't find a site that has them in stock. These are the specs 5mm/116mm. Please post a link if you find something.

Never mind guys. I found someone on Ebay that had 6 of them in stock so I bought 3.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i would imagine that cnchelicopter will have all the spares since they distribute these heads.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Loong Max packs I had tended to get soft after about 50-75 flights, but otherwise held up ok. The Zippy and FlightMax packs have generally stayed cool, though you can tell the difference once you get some cycles on them. That's true of all the high-end packs I've had, too. The Turnigy packs, I still have to get more flight time on them to tell what their longevity is going to be like.

Ummm, cost for a 600 depends on which one you get and what you stick in it. If you already have the radio, of course, that's a big chunk of cost off the table. You can build a less expensive one for somewhere in the area of $1000 if you don't go for top end equipment; if you're ok with a little smaller, something like a Swift 16 or 550 can get you there for a little bit less. The huge expense would have been the packs if you were only going with high-priced ones; a TP 10S stick to run mine would have been knocking on $600 each. However, the Zippies make it a lot more manageable $150-200. It's still a little expensive, but the way they fly is worth it, and as long as you get a decent life out of the packs, then it's on a par with glow fuel costs when I compare notes with flying buddies. If you want to build your own, you can do A123 instead, which are a tad more expensive but can charge obscenely quickly.

8 A on a King is certainly reasonable. I was thinking of the OEM packs or 1300-1500 mAh stuff. I don't like the way the King flies with 200g packs, so I never used the large packs others have. With SAB blades on it, mine did about 8.5A at 2300 RPM, which was a really nice cruising around speed. At 2800 RPM, it pulled about 10.5-11A. All these were with the Thunder Power Pro Lite 1320 packs, before I discovered the new generation of Cheap Packs .

Your flight pack shouldn't go over a cliff at 77%. Is it getting old? You've been flying that King for a while.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nope couldnt find them there. CNCheli, HeliDirect and UsHobbySupply are all out of stock. I didn't even see them listed on ushobbysupply. CNCheli has them but only as a combo pack for $10. I found them on Ebay for $3ea. Now I just need my new Scorpion Motor and I can call it a day. That motor with the stock shaft is going to be insane. I'm sure it'll be like learning to fly all over again. I just wish I could get everything overnighted so I can fly this weekend. I can hover and do light flying with the way it is but that's no fun and i'll get pissed quick doing that hahaha

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Renat, Its funny I dont see just the Main Shaft offered on Rusty's web-site. Or I'd order the motor and shaft from him right now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the 1800 15C Esky packs have 22 cycles each, but around 16 cycles through, the duration dropped from 12mins to 10 and currently is 9-10mins. i've had them since last spring and my best guess is that this may be happening because i stored them fully charged over the winter. these are actually fairly light packs at 141g. they always got warm, but now they get pretty hot at 140-145F.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, after a year or so they usually get softer. It's not just cycling that does it; they deteriorate with time, too. I don't expect to get more than a year or two out of batteries, though some last longer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hahaha I think those packs are like 150-165. I'm going to bring my temp gun next time we go out. Mine are around 130-140 and thats running a 9T pinion, yours are super hot hahaha. But then again, I think when I'm running my stock Esky pack the temps do get up there. I think its because of the low "C" rating on them. My 25C's dont get like that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Careful, guys. Over 140F is getting a little dicey with lithium packs. It will definitely reduce their lifespan, if nothing else.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Joey - I have shafts if you need them, I hate to turn away the sale but if you will go down to your LHS and pick up some Align 450xl mains they are the same thing. When I run out of Trex parts I use HDX and the same when I run out of HDX parts using Trex parts, they are almost the exact same bird. If you don't have a local store let me know and I can shoot some out to you, they run $3 each and I have I think 11 left.

Rusty
    Castlerock Hobbies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: osterizer

Careful, guys. Over 140F is getting a little dicey with lithium packs. It will definitely reduce their lifespan, if nothing else.
    yea, last i measured with a temp gun, they were 140'ish. i'm gonna start bringing a small fire extinguisher to the field lol. maybe i'll put some ice cubes on them to keep them cool [>:] The low C rating is definitely doing it, but i'll keep using them till they don't last more than 5-6 mins, then it's the recycling bin for them. my stock 1000 Esky pack only lasted like 10 cycles before it would get too hot and ran under 5 mins (that was on stock motor). maybe i can make them into Rx packs for my nitro with a voltage regulator?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Either that, or I use old heli packs for planks, since they don't have to draw continuous high current like the helis do.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Planks?

Oh ok, so what Nitro's do you guys run, ive been looking at a Caliber 3, for a first gasser it looks pretty nice and the price is better than all others localy.

When i get serious ill proberbly stick this up in the right forum though

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

planks - airplanes.

here's what i fly, heli and motor combo: http://www.hobbywarehouse.com/Produc...adu-Evo-50-Kit
    3 adjustable linkage points on the head for easy learning or hard 3D.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, planks- the aircraft that have to move the whole airframe through the air in order to get airflow over the wing instead of slinging the wing around in circles the way God intended.

I don't have any glow helis, though I've flown them. The Kyosho helis used to be pretty expensive, but they're trading for very good prices now, so I think you'd be happy with them. I have to mention the Compass Knight, though- it's a very easy heli to fly but can be set up to be very aggressive as well, and it's easy to convert to flybarless if you want to go in that direction. I am a Compass rep, so you should take that into account, but for an unaffiliated viewpoint give a listen to the InsideHeli podcast. Chris and James have discussed a lot of their experiences with the Compass helicopters, and I think the product speaks well enough that I'm comfortable pointing it out.

I became a Compass rep because I like their helicopters, not the other way around .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

theyre still on the expensive side at retailers. but i would buy it in a trade. so its either the caliber 3 or the new caliber 700 which i saw in last months RCHeli mag. Of course the outrage 550 looks nice - i would just have to deal overseas.

On to HB king things ive started a project making a fiberglass canopy. using the original King3 canopy as reference.

Will post pics when i can.