Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

ESKY LAMA 4 THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 02:22 PM
GTX SlotCar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESKY LAMA 4 THREAD

I think it's time for the Lama 4 to have its own thread since it's quite different from the Lama 2/3.
I'll start it off with a question. My Lama 4 seems to have an amazing 4in1. I can spin the heli fast left or right and it stops on a dime. When I punch the throttle, the heli doesn't spin to the left even a little, and when I shut the throttle down, it doesn't spin to right even a little. What I'm saying is, it really stays where it's pointed. None of my other coaxial or FP helis (or CP helis with a tail motor) lock like this thing does. So, my question is, did I get lucky, or are they all this good?

Old 03-31-2008, 02:59 PM
gnd2

Default RE: ESKY LAMA 4 THREAD

I hope they're all this good, mine should be here any day now
Old 03-31-2008, 03:08 PM
1morecrash

mine does the same, will sit and hover if I want it to.

pic of mine.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:43 PM
GTX SlotCar

Here's a quick video of some power ups and spins. I can't believe how tight the tail is on this thing. I'm might put one of these 4in1's on all my coaxial helis.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oMllK3t9Krc

Old 04-07-2008, 04:31 AM
Aloha NZ

I bought mine a week ago. Already broke all the spare blades so bought the extreme blades.
Now I am trying to trim it, because it slowly turns CCW while hovering. I am trying to turn the gain screw clockwise in very small steps, but so far no result.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:02 AM
GTX SlotCar

[EDIT]
See the post below.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Aloha NZ

I had his info from another thread:

4-in-1 Left pot adjustment (Gain):
This pot (I think) adjusts the yaw (horizontal rotation). If you are as close as the manual trim will take you to hovering without rotation, this will help. It the nose of the helicopter rotates to the right, turn the pot to the left. If the nose of the helicopter rotates to the left, turn the pot to the right. It only requires very small adjustments. If you become confused on which way to turn it, turn it a large amount either way to see the effect. Note: Set transmitter trims to the center, then disconnect battery before adjusting and re-connect it after adjusting. This will reset the 4-in-1 to the new adjustment

4-in-1 Right pot adjustment (Proportional):
The pot adjustment screw on the right side of the 4-in-1 seems to adjust the amount of control rendered when moving from center stick position to either side. Example: If the helicopter hovers good at center trim on all transmitter trim wheels AND the servo arms are straight level, then… turn the right pot screw on the 4-in-1 to the right or left to equalize the speed of rotation using full yaw, left and right. Note: Set transmitter trims to the center, then disconnect battery before adjusting and re-connect it after adjusting. This will reset the 4-in-1 to the new adjustment.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:07 PM
dandodge

I just got my Lama V4 about 3 hours ago (I'm lucky, I live about 15 miles from Hobby-Lobby Int. so I just went up there and picked one up) and it also has amazing tail control. I couldn't believe how quick it starts and stops rotation. Got everything dialed in as far as yaw and left and right pitch but it tends to drift backwards even with the trim set forward to the stops. I'm pretty sure I can get it dialed in by adjusting the length of the control arm between the servo and the swash-plate though. For you guys that are having trouble with tail drift even when you've set the trim tabs all the way in one direction all I can say is read your instruction manuals a few times. Once you figure out how to decipher the Chine-english grammer it does tell you how to adjust the ESC pots to dial in your copter.

I laughed for 5 minutes when I read the front of the manual and it said,

"WARNING: R/C model is not a toy, please fly it after reading the instruction detailedly."

ROFLOL!

So now go read your instruction detailedly and get your helicopters dialed in.

Good Luck and welcome to the wonderful world of RC.

Danny
Old 04-08-2008, 08:31 AM
GTX SlotCar

OK. I just went through this again.
The left trimmer pot is for the gyro gain. The right pot is the motor mixer. It seems to operate in a counter intuitive nature in that a CW adjustment will spin your heli CCW. So, the easy way to remember it is that if your heli IS spinning CCW, turn the trimmer CCW to correct it.

Turn the left trimmer (pot) all the way down (CCW). This basically shuts off the gyro.
Center your rudder trim.
Fly the Lama for a couple minutes to let the motors (and 4in1) warm up.
If the heli is spinning CCW, turn the right trimmer (Proportional) CCW.
If the heli is spinning CW, turn the Proportional trimmer CW.
Keep doing this until the Lama stops spinning on its own, or get it as close as possible.
Once this adjustment is as good as you can get it, increase (CW) the gyro gain on the Gain trimmer. Small steps are best. This locks the gyro. but too much lock will cause the tail to shimmy back and forth as it "hunts" for center. It will also probably slow down the speed of the tail so you won't be able to spin it as fast.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53237.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	925057  
Old 04-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Jason Paul

And don't forget what else it says on the box: Hold Your Heart!

Jason
Old 04-08-2008, 03:31 PM
gnd2

Just waiting for one more part to get here and I'll be able to fly it with the Comanche fuselage (I think) [8D]
Old 04-08-2008, 07:24 PM
dandodge

Thanks GTX, that really was much easier to understand then the instruction manual.

Danny

Old 04-09-2008, 09:29 AM
1morecrash

come on guys did you guys missed the Instructions
calling for the " SOFT DOG"
I swear me and my kid laughed for a while till we figured it out.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:59 AM
GTX SlotCar

Instructions? What a great idea!

OK, I have a partner in Canada who is Chinese, and one in China (also Chinese) where superskids are assembled. In one small document, I called for the words "for a better fit". The printing came out "for a batter fit". I pointed out the mistake and explained the difference to my partners. Their official response was "Now we don't have to print 'Made in China' on the label."
At least some of them have a sense of humor about this.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:10 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

where do you guys buy your upgrade kits? I have had this lama v4 since november and the upgrade kits are always sold out. Xtreme's website is marginal at best and everywhere else doesn't have the parts that I need.
Jeff
Old 04-09-2008, 05:58 PM
davideh2

http://www.walkera-parts.com/shop/index.php?cPath=412 Check out this link. I got the full aluminum upgrade for $20. It will take about 10 days but it sounds like you have already waited longer than that. Since it is from China shipping is high (about $30) so best to go on and order anything you think you will need int the future to make it worth the shipping. Cheap parts though.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:13 PM
GTX SlotCar

If yours flies right with that kit, it'll be the first one. For most of us, the heli just went in circles - like it was hanging from a string. Let us know how it works out for you.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:39 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

I did order all of the parts for my heli. I got them from Hirobo and the shipping was $19.95 from Hongkong.
I too lmao when I read the directions, so I had to show them to my close freinds and they laughed too. What is soft dog? Do you guys know what they are talking about?
I have about 50+ hours on my reflex flight simulator and can hover nose in and out, do all kinds of tricks etc. Upon getting this bird it was very easy for me but where I got in trouble is when I got too daring like trying to land 4' up on a stand. As soon as the heli hit the ground effect on the platform - down it went into pieces! It never flew the same again. Hopefully this upgrade kit will get me up and running again.
Isn't it strange that when you see $89.00 for a good heli, you purchase it and within a week you are putting another $50 to $100 in it. Yes, it costs about $200+ to learn how to fly (not including the flight sim).
I have a blazing star too and had at least 50 flights on it before it's ultimate demise. I knew it was coming but wow this is getting expensive. I have the parts on order for that one too!
Jeff
Old 04-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Jason Paul

I believe by "soft dog", they're referring to the USB cable for the sim.

Interesting about the shipping charges from China. Doesnt' Deal Extreme ship from China? I ordered four sets of their blades for about $8.00 and shipping was free. I think shipping is free for a lot of their stuff (if not all). I got the blades in less than two weeks.

Jason
Old 04-10-2008, 01:24 PM
1morecrash

I use blades and skids from a diff. heli. cant remember the name right now.
and they are a perfect fit and are much stonger.
since my local HS never have the lama parts in stock.
I can get the part numbers for you guys, if anyone is interested.
will post them tomorrow anyways might be good for my records too. [8D]
Old 04-10-2008, 01:30 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

That is a really good idea. Unfortunatlely, I ordered enough blades and extra parts for about 3 really good crahes LOL but it is good to have the part no.s available for the future. I really like this little heli and can't wait till the new stuff comes in the mail and this is a great thread on this little guy.
Jeff
Old 04-10-2008, 01:31 PM
dandodge

OK Check this out. I've been flying the Lama V4 for 3 days now and have gotten pretty good at tail-in hovering and forward flight, I'm starting to work on nose-in hovering but I'm having a strange issue with the gyro setting. It seems that every time I charge the battery and start flying again I have to dial up the gain and reset the trim. Initially I had it dialed in with the proportional and very little gain setting and had the trim set at dead center on the Tx. Each time I've recharged and started flying again I've had to dial up the gain and now the trim tab has to be set all the way to the right. Now the gain is cranked way up and so the turning speed has slowed way down of course due to dialing up the gyro lock. I assume this is due to crashing and the resulting small nicks to the rotors as well as what appears to be a slight bend in the flybar control linkage. What I want to know is if I'm on the right track concerning the cause of the tail drifting more each flight or is there a problem with the 4 in 1 control module. I don't think the 4 in 1 is burning out because I've been almost religious about killing the throttle immediately if the rotors strike an obstacle. Oh and yes, I still usually have a crash on each flight from trying new maneuvers. It seems that most the damage is caused each time due to the flybar coming off and striking the rotors or vice versa.

One more thing, has any one else experienced a boom strike when having to perform a hard flare in forward flight? I had this happen this morning when I had to flare really hard to avoid hitting the fish tank. It didn't cause a crash but I did put the first nicks in the fuselage. I don't know if it scared me or the fish more! hehe Overall this is really one tough little heli though, a great first heli.

For you RC Airplane pilots out there who are thinking about getting a heli let me warn you that your airtime on planes won't translate over to the helicopter very well. I've been flying planes for 19 years and the only experience thats helped me so far is the fact that I have lots of bench time making repairs and building airplanes from kits and plans under my belt. A helicopter is a completely different bird in flight. (Sorry couldn't resist the pun.) The best thing about flying mini-helis vs. nitro planes? I don't have to check the weather forecast and wind speeds before I can go fly!

Man I can't get enough of this! I just need 3 more batteries and a case of replacement rotors! LOL

Danny
Old 04-10-2008, 01:42 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

I am right there with you Danny. I started flying rc at the age of 15 and I am 41 now. Never in a million years did I ever plan on going to the dark side (helis). But last year I was accidentally introduced to the little cheap 2 channel airhogs helis and now I have the bug and it bit me hard.
You are right though about hovering a heli. It is completely different from an airplane. It is a bit similar to hovering a 3d plane though.
Jeff
Old 04-10-2008, 01:58 PM
dandodge

ROFLMAO! The Airhogs Reflex was responsible for my current Darkside infection!

Danny
Old 04-10-2008, 02:02 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

HHEEEEHHHEEEHHEEE! I have one of those too!
Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.