Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
Reload this Page >

........."BELT-CP THREAD"........

Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

........."BELT-CP THREAD"........

Old 06-08-2009, 11:57 AM
bionicbone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: .........

ORIGINAL: joeyhatch11

Yes thatscorrect. Using my DuraTrax temp gun. Although that's hot I guess were in the clear............at least for now. I dont know how well she'll hold up running pack after pack. I suppose it'll be a good idea to let her sit for like 10minutes between flights. If anything changes I'll let you guys know.

Joey, from what I have read electric back to back flying is not recommended. Although over the long British winter I have been guilty of doing this just to warm my hands on the next battery pack

Old 06-08-2009, 01:37 PM
phillyD

Hey Folks
Just to reiterate and concur with Bill; head speed too low... ESC gets very hot. I know for for sure Bill will take that from me hands down. Head speed up. I get about 41 degrees celcius. I used to live the the low head speed area.
Cheers
Old 06-08-2009, 02:02 PM
joeyhatch11

You think taking the wrapping off would help much?
Old 06-08-2009, 02:29 PM
bionicbone

You think taking the wrapping off would help much?

I took the wrapping off my stock ESC. The fact that it then fell apart took me be surprise (i.e. wrapping holds the heatsink in place). It’s a good time to apply some thermal compoundthough so its not a bad thing. I've attached some photo's so you'llknow what to expectshould you decide to take the plunge.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59571.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1214439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58051.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1214440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot46623.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1214441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77035.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1214442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx23193.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1214443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sj73098.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1214444  
Old 06-08-2009, 02:49 PM
joeyhatch11

Have you noticed a difference since you took it off.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:11 PM
bionicbone

It’s hard to say, it was one of the first things I did. I was more into flying back then so didn’t really take much notice. I'd read many posts on here and other places saying take it off to save over heating so I did. To be fair the weather is only just getting warmer in the UK so after most fights it’s barely warm; however as the ambient temperature warms up I’ve notice a big difference in motor and ESC temperature so I guess for you lucky ones that live in warmer climates its more of an issue.

In conclusion I'd saytaking everything into consideration, as long as your careful not to damage it then it can only be a good thing.
EDIT: OK - Maybe not only a good thing, you could argue you are increasing the chances of something shorting out across that metal heatsink or contacts,but i'd takethe risk

Old 06-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Porkie

Geez, I'm setting up my new Belt CP with most of the recommended goodies. I'm installing the HS65MG's alot of people seem to use and WOW[X(]you need to do some creative fitting of the chassis to get the elevator and pitch servos in place. I've filed both mounting areas and it's still a very tight fit. Sure don't wantto ruin the leads on the servos installing them. Any tips would be helpfull here.

Thanks

Old 06-10-2009, 12:27 PM
joeyhatch11

I had to use a Dremal with a small grinding bit to make mine fit right. And thats with the TowerPro's not the Hitecs.  Anyone point me in the direction of a CNC Head. Looking for the whole thing.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Porkie

Joeyhatch11, Thanks for getting back, I've been doing that very carefully. Grind alittle and try and fit it. Takes patience and alittle bitting of the tongue, but it works.

Can't help you on the CNC head. Thats down the road for me. Just want the things that make it fly better for now....ie gyro, SC and servos.

Thanks
Old 06-10-2009, 12:52 PM
joeyhatch11

yeah I'd like to know about a nice gyro/tail servo combo and where I can get it. I'm sure Mike at UsHobbySupply has something. Although the stock Gyro has been great. I havent had any issues with the tail since I set it up correctly.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:26 PM
joeyhatch11

Doubt post sorry.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:59 PM
warpnine

yeah I'd like to know about a nice gyro/tail servo combo and where I can get it. I'm sure Mike at UsHobbySupply has something. Although the stock Gyro has been great. I havent had any issues with the tail since I set it up correctly.

He sure does have something great: https://www.ushobbysupply.com/produc...63020130d54fb0

This is what I have and this combo rocks! Mike only has 1 left though!

Cheers,
Dave
Old 06-10-2009, 10:50 PM
billmay
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: warpnine

He sure does have something great: https://www.ushobbysupply.com/produc...63020130d54fb0

Cheers,
Dave
Just be aware that there is NO US support for Logictech so if you have a problem you are on your own. I know a lot of people like the Logictech but, personally, I would go with the Futaba GY401/9257 combo... it's much easier to set up.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:06 AM
bionicbone

ORIGINAL: Porkie
Geez, I'm setting up my new Belt CP with most of the recommended goodies. I'm installing the HS65MG's alot of people seem to use and WOW[X(]you need to do some creative fitting of the chassis to get the elevator and pitch servos in place. I've filed both mounting areas and it's still a very tight fit. Sure don't wantto ruin the leads on the servos installing them. Any tips would be helpfull here.

Thanks
A few pics of my upgrade, although I'm not sure you are using the CF frame.

Looking at thesecond photo, I havecut the horn down so that it did not catchthe frame below. If ihad this to do again I would fit the servos during the frame build as some will not go in with the frame fixed together.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90980.jpg
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1216136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29879.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1216137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90708.jpg
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1216138  
Old 06-11-2009, 05:40 AM
joeyhatch11

Hey PhillyD, I readjusted my heli so now my Hov. Pit. knob is a little less than half way up. My ESC and lipo temps are way down. I guess with the head speed so low it was putting a ton of stress on the esc/lipo. Im now at 110, where before I was 180. Very nice hahahaha

Bill, I took a look at the Futaba GY401 Gyro and it looks difficult to set-up. It's also about $40 more expensive than the LogicTech 2100T. You really like the Futaba that much more than the LogicTech? I've read that the new Esky 704B HH gyro is a lot better than the previous models and I'm having real good results with it. But then again, I dont know anything else. If I were to switch to something better would you say the difference would be like night and day?

Tell me if you guys think this is worth the money? I was thinking of doing the CNC Head/Tail swap and Xheli has the whole thing for $90. Here's a link: http://www.xheli.com/esbecpcnccod.html
Old 06-11-2009, 05:50 AM
joeyhatch11

Well I've been down and out since Sunday after a dump crash on my part. I got her back together last night and took her for a test flight......GOD I LOVE THIS HELI. For some reason I'm having great success with this one over my HBK2. I also got my (4) 11.1v 1800mah Lipos yesterday from Hong Kong. It was a great day yesterday hahaha. To make it better, the wife is going to a concert ALL day Saturday and I only have to work for a few hours. I'll have all day to practice. I think I'm going to go fly again now. Talk to you guys later................
Old 06-11-2009, 08:36 AM
Porkie

bionicbone, Sorry, I should have specified I'm flying the stock plastic frame not the carbon. But your input is appreciated.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:37 AM
billmay

Hey PhillyD, I readjusted my heli so now my Hov. Pit. knob is a little less than half way up. My ESC and lipo temps are way down. I guess with the head speed so low it was putting a ton of stress on the esc/lipo. Im now at 110, where before I was 180. Very nice hahahaha
Not surprising. Glad you got those temps way down.
Bill, I took a look at the Futaba GY401 Gyro and it looks difficult to set-up. It's also about $40 more expensive than the LogicTech 2100T. You really like the Futaba that much more than the LogicTech? I've read that the new Esky 704B HH gyro is a lot better than the previous models and I'm having real good results with it. But then again, I dont know anything else. If I were to switch to something better would you say the difference would be like night and day?
Not sure why you think the 401 is hard to set up but it's actually very easy. Just mechanically center your pitch slider, adjust the limit pot so it doesn't bind on either side and you're done. If you plan to always fly inHHmode (which most people do) then you don't even need to set it up in rate mode. Neither gyro is hard to set up one time.However, whenever you crash it's easy to damage the tail boom which may mean that you have to remove and re-install the tail servo and that's where the 401 is much easier (and I own both gyros).My real gripe with theLogictech is the lack of any US support location if you have a problem and want to get it checked out. Hitech bought Logictech and has their own branded version of it (the HG-5000).Iwould get that version since Hitech provides USsupport. Don't know about the 704B but if you're happy with the way your tail is holding then you probably won't see a "night and day" difference.

Tell me if you guys think this is worth the money? I was thinking of doing the CNC Head/Tail swap and Xheli has the whole thing for $90. Here's a link: http://www.xheli.com/esbecpcnccod.html
Don't know anything about the quality of that but I've been very happy with the upgrades from Cncheli/Xmseller and eventually just built a complete 3DX450SE which is FAR superior to the Belt CP. Here are their upgrades:
http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...-CP-CNC/Detail
http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...Belt-CP/Detail

Yes, they cost more but you get what you pay for and all CNCstuff is not created equal. Search this thread and you'll find a lot of earlier discussion about these upgrades. Here's an earlier postof mine with photos of the upgrade. If you're interested in it then follow that thread through the next page for some additional posts on installing it. If you install these upgrades then you could just buy one of their frames and matching gear sets and, mechanically, you would have a high quality TREX clone (which is what I did). I would definitely recommend that you NOT go the Esky CNC parts upgrade route.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:55 AM
bionicbone

ORIGINAL: billmay

Not surprising. Glad you got those temps way down.
Not sure why you think the 401 is hard to set up but it's actually very easy. Just mechanically center your pitch slider, adjust the limit pot so it doesn't bind on either side and you're done. If you plan to always fly inHHmode (which most people do) then you don't even need to set it up in rate mode. Neither gyro is hard to set up one time.However, whenever you crash it's easy to damage the tail boom which may mean that you have to remove and re-install the tail servo and that's where the 401 is much easier (and I own both gyros).My real gripe with the 401 is the lack of any US support location if you have a problem and want to get it checked out. Hitech bought Logictech and has their own branded version of it (the HG-5000).Iwould get that version since Hitech provides USsupport. Don't know about the 704B but if you're happy with the way your tail is holding then you probably won't see a "night and day" difference.

Don't know anything about the quality of that but I've been very happy with the upgrades from Cncheli/Xmseller and eventually just built a complete 3DX450SE which is FAR superior to the Belt CP. Here are their upgrades:
http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...-CP-CNC/Detail
http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...Belt-CP/Detail

Yes, they cost more but you get what you pay for and all CNCstuff is not created equal. Search this thread and you'll find a lot of earlier discussion about these upgrades. Here's an earlier postof mine with photos of the upgrade. If you're interested in it then follow that thread through the next page for some additional posts on installing it. If you install these upgrades then you could just buy one of their frames and matching gear sets and, mechanically, you would have a high quality TREX clone (which is what I did). I would definitely recommend that you NOT go the Esky CNC parts upgrade route.
Bill,
Do you know if the parts on this head interchangeable with the Trex450 spares (although I think swash plate is different )?
I'm seriously thinking about building a Trex Clone next - although I will always keep my Belt CP as she'slike part of the family now.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:14 AM
bionicbone

Hey Guys,
Thought I<personname></personname>'d let you know that I<personname></personname>'ll soon be updating my signature from "It<personname></personname>'s a bit like triggers broom now!!" to "It is like triggers broom now!!". [:@]
The final original part (the landing gear) broke this morning. I lost orientation as I flew sidein, backwards into a 180 spin to continue flyingout forwards. I<personname></personname>'ve done this loads of times but this time I came out of the spin banked to one side and a bit far away, my best guess was the wrong guess as to which side and she went almost upside down in normal mode. I almost got her straight and in control before the ground jumped up and hit me. Long grass saved some damage I think as I just broke the landing gear, plastic mounting for CF frame and bent the feathering shaft. Blades and even fly bar still look good to go again. Oh and the canopy has a few more battle scars.

The most annoying part is that I knew I should have stopped. As I flew backwards I could seeshe was not totally horizontal before the spin, I was trying to adjust but went for it anyway. What a clown!! []

Old 06-11-2009, 09:25 AM
billmay

ORIGINAL: bionicbone

Bill,
Do you know if the parts on this head interchangeable with the Trex450 spares (although I think swash plate is different )?
I'm seriously thinking about building a Trex Clone next - although I will always keep my Belt CP as she'slike part of the family now.
It's basically a TREX style head and I think most parts are interchangeable with TREX stuff (washout arms, upper mixing arms.etc.).However, I can't say every part is interchangeable because I've been getting my parts fromCncheli or Helidirect(the HDX and 3DX parts are the same).I use the TREX main shaft and they are the same. Even for the TREX 450 there are different versions that use, for example, different swashplate configurations. Thelink I posted is the "B"version swashplate that usesthe same servo layout as the Belt CP. You could use this same head on ANY TREXversion by simply getting a new swashplate if necessary. You can also use any actualTREX head on the Belt with the right swashplate.As Isaid, if you put a TREX style head and tail on the Belt then you are already on your upgrade path to a TREX clone (which is why I recommend against getting the Esky upgrades). Most people end up upgrading their Belt servos, gyros, ESC's etc. So then all you need is a new frame and matching gear set and you've got your TREXclone!
Old 06-11-2009, 05:03 PM
warpnine

ORIGINAL: warpnine

Cheers,
Dave
Just be aware that there is NO US support for Logictech so if you have a problem you are on your own. I know a lot of people like the Logictech but, personally, I would go with the Futaba GY401/9257 combo... it's much easier to set up.
Most of the write ups and set up videos I looked at before getting the Logictech 2100T compared it very favorably to the Futaba - as easier to set up, more advanced, and performing just as well if not better. I've never heard any bad comments from anyone who has one, and it was quite a bit less expensive than the Futaba. Futaba's not bad, just more costly for older technology in this case. Joey - Do some research of your own, and you'll probably find the same write ups and set up videos that I did and can make your own decision. The Logictech combo performs very well for my $158!

Cheers,
Dave

Old 06-11-2009, 06:24 PM
joeyhatch11

Does the CNC tail also offer the little taps that clip into the tail boom? I some how broke both taps of both sides of the rear tail assembly. Is that normal for the stock plastic tails? What a trip this thing is giving me. I just want to get it set-up so I dont have to worry about anything and can finally enjoy flying it. Let me know guys, Thanks, Joe

Update: I used a little crazy glue to hold the tail in place. Probably not the best idea but I'm ordering new tail booms and those tail cases I broke so I figured why not. hahaha
Old 06-11-2009, 07:45 PM
billmay

Dave, just curious, do you actually own a GY401?
Old 06-11-2009, 11:12 PM
warpnine

Dave, just curious, do you actually own a GY401?
Hi Bill!

Nope, all I have is the Logictech 2100T - I donated my original stock gyro to the Iraq Fund.

Here is one of the set-up pages I used for the 2100T, which has three nice videos on it: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=737104 This guy thinks that the 2100T is "way more advanced" than the 401 - if you read his first note below the videos. My good experience with the 2100T (just as easy to set up as he shows) has never given me any reason to doubt this - even though I accept that the 401 is a good gyro too. Hard to go wrong with either, once you have them set up correctly...

Enjoy!
Dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.