Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
Reload this Page >

........."BELT-CP THREAD"........

Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

........."BELT-CP THREAD"........

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 12:31 PM
bionicbone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ........."BELT-CP THREAD"........

ORIGINAL: USHobbySupply

parts on the way
Thanks Michael
Old 12-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Hornet05

ORIGINAL: Disney1

Thank you for the info Bill. As soon as I replace the servos they will head off to the other side of the planet.

Hornet, I am down to the last Clear coat. I held off on the final paint work as I finally won a bid on Ebay for a Paasche VL airbrush. Got it for $30

Now that the brush is here it is raining and cold. Can't paint in weather like that. But here are some pictures of it. Even painted and striped the blades.

R[8D]N Sr

Those Blades look like a work of art, your very handy with the paint side of things, also noticed you put a splash of cherry red on your DX6i stick,nice touch and also on the us hobby sticker,i also planned to put it on my Airwolf.
Cheers
Old 12-12-2008, 01:16 PM
USHobbySupply

I think he is running a different set of sticks on the dx6i, not just simply painted
Old 12-12-2008, 01:36 PM
billmay
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: bionicbone

OK Bill - Help me out a little on what a BEC is used for (I've had a quick search of the net but I should be working, hope the boss is not reading this [])
I think a BEC is a Battery Eliminator Circuit, probably called that because it eliminates using a seperate battery for the servo's and TX as these need 4.8 - 6 volt where as the motor is more 12 volt. Why would a switching 3A BEC be good, why / when does it switch? Does that sound like a stupid question? .
Linear BEC, now I recon that could mean the voltage drops to the servo / tx in relation to the battery voltage?

I found this on Linear BEC's, would you say this is accurate info:
Phoenix ESC's is a linear BEC, that means that it essentially dumps the excess voltage through a resistance which causes heat, increase the input voltage and the BEC frys.
- My comment to this is that is where there is heat there is excess current drain, on a warm day my ESC can get quite hot, therefore a lot of current drain. So if you had a seperate supply for the servo's / tx how much extra fly time would that be. Ah but what about the extra weight [&:] Could this be why your get a switching thingy? ... OK I really really should be working ...
Bionicbone, you've got it right! The linear BEC drops the voltage and wastes the excess as heat. Their efficiencies are low (often 30% or less). A switching BEC takes the 12V and feeds or "switches" it in as smaller bits of energy to produce the 5V output needed. Efficiencies are much higher (often 85-90%) so very little heat is produced. The real end effect is that the switching BEC can maintain the desired output voltage under higher loads whereas the linear BEC will likely overheat and drop the output voltage. If that happens, then your RX may not have sufficient power and you could get a transmission dropout and loss of control and/or there may not be sufficient output voltage to operate your servos properly. I'm not an electronics expert but [link=http://www.dimensionengineering.com/switchingregulators.htm]here[/link] is a link to a summary on switching regulators. Although it doesn't really apply to our application, switching regulators can also be made to increase voltage over the source while linear BEC's can only lower the voltage.

So if you switch over to 4 digital servos, I don't think flight time is as much of an issue as having a BEC that can handle the extra load. I don't know that it would actually be a problem but I think that it's the area that I would watch out for if I were using a linear BEC. It only costs about $10-12 to add an external switching BEC. If you search this thread you should find a discussion about adding switching BEC's (as a reminder there is a "search this thread" box at the bottom right hand corner of every page). My new HobbyWing 40A ESC is one of the few that has a switching BEC built in but I think it will start to become more common.

Bill
Old 12-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Disney1

Hornet thanks for the compliments.
Those are different sticks, that are red anodized.
They were a gift from a friend so I do not know where to buy them.
The red on the US Hobby Supply sticker is actually 1/8 inch automotive trim tape, same for all the red, even on the blades.
Those are Align 325 wood blades that I removed the covering, sanded, filled and painted.
I balanced the blades after paint and trim, used the red trim tape in layers to get balance then clear coated and will balance again befor flight.
Everything is clear coated with two coats to lock down the trim and give the Lacquer a shine.
I took a 1/4 inch wide tape and cut it to the width I wanted.
Hides a multitude of sins from using the wrong masking tape type.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:09 PM
bionicbone

Thanks Bill, I think I'll look into this further, my last crash may have been caused by my Stock ESC (just lost power for a second or so) not sure if I should change it anyway just to be safe. Oh am already using digital esky servo's (came as stock) on cyclic with upgraded digital servo for tail and Head Hold Gyro.
I'll have a look at the HobbyWing 40A, looks like I need to get the latest version as some of the old versions had the linear BEC. May I ask where you ordered yours from, my fav USHobbySupply does not stock this. My notes from previous posts point me to the Hobbywing 30A, but less heat not only means less waste of battery power but also less stress on components - so you would expect it to be more reliable.
Would you go for the Pentium series or the guard series? the guard seems to protect against individual cell voltage differences and has the switched BEC, 30A @ $34 or 40A @ $46 - would need to check out the company first tho [&:]
[link=http://www.esky-heli.com/hobbywing-guard-30a-bl-esc-for-aircraft-and-heli-p-3999.html]HobbyWing 30A Guard Series.[/link]
More research required here I think.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:51 PM
billmay

Bionicbone, I got my Hobbywing 40A from [link=http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet/the-1326/hobbywing-newest-ESC-40A/Detail]Cncheli[/link]. I'm pretty sure it's the Pentium series. The Guard series certainly sounds interesting. You probably don't need a 40A for the Belt but it can't hurt either. I have a more powerful motor in the 3DX 450 and I can continuously hover a full pack (~10 mins.) and it doesn't even get warm. I guess I'd rather go with a bigger power supply then have one too small. The Hobbywing stuff seems to be pretty decent.

Bill
Old 12-12-2008, 07:59 PM
ger87410

Anyone know the servo channel setting for this if you're using a hitec eclipse 7 radio with a GMS receiver?

Thanks!
G
Old 12-12-2008, 08:54 PM
creteus

ORIGINAL: USHobbySupply

I think he is running a different set of sticks on the dx6i, not just simply painted
I got the blue ones and can't stand them. They claim they are good for thumbs, but one drop of sweat makes your finger feel like they are going to slip off. Anyone can pick them up here http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=5367. On the DX6i you have to buy the futaba Gimbals as they are 3 mm. The DX7 has larger threads.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:19 AM
R.C.Lovett

I've been looking through this eternal thread looking for some info and after hours of looking, I'm just going to ask. I bought the famous Futaba GY401 but I'm still trying to keep a budget. I figure I'll start off with a really nice gyro now and upgrade the other stuff later. I'm still going to upgrade the servos but trying to keep it cheap yet cost effective, I bought TP SG90's.

So the question is... Will using the stock Esky receiver and SG90 work O.K. with the GY401? Thanks for any help.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:46 AM
shamama

does anyone know what the HOVERING PITCH ROCKER Setting does and how to set it? I am using a dx7. It says it's supposed to shift the center point(#2) of the curve either upward or downward at the hover postion, but it says notting about how to set it up or where it is.Thans for any info on this.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:54 AM
phillyD

Hey Bill
A little more info- evdreamer is the author

Philip,

I installed the servos and they seem to be good, but I am having a BEC problem not related to the new servos. I saw Bionicbone was interested in the current draw of the 5065's on the Belt CP thread, so here it is. At 4.96V the idle current draw of one 5065 is 20mA and the max I could get is 270mA, but that was not in the air just on the work bench. And at the same Voltage the stock Analog E-Sky servo at idle is 0A and the max I could get is 140mA.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:12 AM
phillyD

RC Lovett
They can work, but you may get some problems. Your problem is not the receiver. 1. stock TX cannot deal with the gyro to set it properly. 2. You may get tail spinning depending on the tail servo you are using; hope you don't intend using the SG 90 on the tail. That analog servo can't handle the gyro. You need a good digital tail servo to handle the 401; FUT 9257,9650 or 3114 if I remember the last servo number right.
Cheers
Old 12-13-2008, 09:58 AM
billmay

ORIGINAL: phillyD

RC Lovett
They can work, but you may get some problems. Your problem is not the receiver. 1. stock TX cannot deal with the gyro to set it properly. 2. You may get tail spinning depending on the tail servo you are using; hope you don't intend using the SG 90 on the tail. That analog servo can't handle the gyro. You need a good digital tail servo to handle the 401; FUT 9257,9650 or 3114 if I remember the last servo number right.
Cheers
The 3114 is an analog servo (I have them on my FP heli). I think 3154 is the digital one that you meant.

Bill
Old 12-13-2008, 10:10 AM
billmay

Hey Bill
A little more info- evdreamer is the author

Philip,

I installed the servos and they seem to be good, but I am having a BEC problem not related to the new servos. I saw Bionicbone was interested in the current draw of the 5065's on the Belt CP thread, so here it is. At 4.96V the idle current draw of one 5065 is 20mA and the max I could get is 270mA, but that was not in the air just on the work bench. And at the same Voltage the stock Analog E-Sky servo at idle is 0A and the max I could get is 140mA.
Sounds reasonable that the digitals might draw 130mA more than the analogs. So three servos add ~0.4A which is not a lot compared to motor draw (but maybe a lot for a linear BEC???). Those numbers also seem to be approximately in line with what Bionicbone got from Hitec. They claimed at 4.8V: stall current 960mA; running current 180mA.

Bill
Old 12-13-2008, 10:45 AM
R.C.Lovett

Exactly what I needed to know billmay. Thanks for your help. I have a Futaba TX6H transmitter from when I first got into the hobby, I just need to figure out how to set it up. It seems to work with the Esky crystal and receiver. The Futaba receiver I have is just way too big.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:41 PM
billmay

ORIGINAL: R.C.Lovett

Exactly what I needed to know billmay. Thanks for your help. I have a Futaba TX6H transmitter from when I first got into the hobby, I just need to figure out how to set it up. It seems to work with the Esky crystal and receiver. The Futaba receiver I have is just way too big.
I think it was really PhillyD that gave you the help.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:27 PM
R.C.Lovett

ORIGINAL: billmay
Oh yeah, I see that now. I must have been in a hurry, thanks for the heads up. Thank you PhillyD. I ordered the S9257.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:15 PM
billmay

ORIGINAL: R.C.Lovett

ORIGINAL: billmay
Oh yeah, I see that now. I must have been in a hurry, thanks for the heads up. Thank you PhillyD. I ordered the S9257.
PhillyD and I are both using the S9257 so I think it will work well for you.

Bill
Old 12-13-2008, 07:06 PM
phillyD

Dear Bill
We can always count on you to back up and fill in the blanks. It' like having to goalies[>:]
Old 12-13-2008, 07:39 PM
billmay

Dear Bill
We can always count on you to back up and fill in the blanks. It' like having to goalies[>:]
Hey, whoever is online at the time tries to help out.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:07 AM
cardo

Anyone know if there is a way to do a total reset on the DX6i, not just a model reset? I might have really messed up the settings on the TX.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:13 AM
bionicbone

I saw Bionicbone was interested in the current draw of the 5065's on the Belt CP thread, so here it is. At 4.96V the idle current draw of one 5065 is 20mA and the max I could get is 270mA, but that was not in the air just on the work bench. And at the same Voltage the stock Analog E-Sky servo at idle is 0A and the max I could get is 140mA.
Thanks Philly , I have an Esky Digital here, I'll try doing a similar test
Old 12-14-2008, 10:25 AM
billmay

ORIGINAL: cardo

Anyone know if there is a way to do a total reset on the DX6i, not just a model reset? I might have really messed up the settings on the TX.
Cardo, don't know, but how hard can it be to just reset the individual models? I suspect that you might not be able to do all at once as a fail-safe to prevent you from losing everything (without really trying).

Bill
Old 12-14-2008, 11:45 AM
shamama

does anyone know what size are the bullet connectors on the stock motor,Iam trying to change the esc but cannot find the right size connectors to fit the motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.