Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
Reload this Page >

........."BELT-CP THREAD"........

Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

........."BELT-CP THREAD"........

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Tinkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: .........

Hey Guys,
If you look at Philly's last post, in the picture, the auto rotation sleeve is the thing in the lower left. It lives inside the tail drive gear, and extends upinto the auto rotation bearing. There is a 2mm hex head cap screw that goes through the gear, sleeve and main axis. The plastic tail drive gear has a tendancy to wear, and therefore move on the auto rotation sleeve, thus moving the main gear. I think if I can make a retro sleeve to re-size the tail drive gear we can eliminate allot of this slop. Of course I'd have to give it a try and see what happens. I may find that this is not a good solution. After all, last night I was convinced that the spacer would solve all our problems 8-)
At any rate, I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Ron,
I'll tell you what, If I can get this figured out, you and Philly will both get "Beta Tester" versions to make sure they work. If they do, anyone who can make them themselves is welcome to it. But in most cases, folks don't have the resourses to pull this off. I'm just trying to get the most of my Belt CP. If I can help others along the way, so be it!
Joaquin
Old 02-17-2011, 08:10 PM
phillyD

Don't forget Tink
This might be your answer.http://www.helidirect.com/microheli-...400-p-8254.hdx I would love to throw this in my parts box. I am leaving it just in case you wanna pick it up. I been checking for it for months and never thought to look here. Those esky gears are duds though. For starters they are out of round. I can get a pic for you of it on my heli, if you like; just say
Old 02-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Tinkman

Hey Philly,
I'm already running one of those gears. Thanks. I'm atually curious if this set would work on the Belt CP. The gears are the same size, but I'm not sure about the hubs.
http://www.helidirect.com/main-gear-...v5-p-20445.hdx

Joaquin
Old 02-18-2011, 05:55 PM
phillyD

Sir tink
I think that would warrant a cll to Larry. The one way bearing is the same dimensions. it is the length of the sleve. If only we had a side view of it
I the shaft is shorter the lower main gear may not make contact with the tail drive gear properly. hhhmmm
Old 02-20-2011, 05:23 PM
phillyD

Hey tink I bought the gears so i'll check it out
Old 02-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Tinkman

Nice, let me know what you find out.
Joaquin
Old 02-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Tinkman

In the mean time, check this out. I plan to fly it tomorrow if the weather will allow. Been getting allot of rain lately. This new design is more compact and is direct drive from the servo. I'll post some video after the flight.

Joaquin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91665.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1567414  
Old 02-20-2011, 09:52 PM
phillyD

Wow Sir Tink
That camera mount is classy..really nice job. How much does it weigh. You gota put that up in the photography and also the classifiedforum
Old 02-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Tinkman

Thank you Philly.
I don't have a scale with me at the moment, but according to my calculationthe assemblyshould weigh just under 15 grams without camera, servo and hardware. I should be able to confirm that sometime tomorrow.

Joaquin
Old 02-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Tinkman

OK Guys,
Here is the video from today's test flight of the mod 2 tilting camera mount. There is some vibration, especially on the outrigger cam, from my tail rotor but all in all I think it turned out pretty well.

Joaquin

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuhgkoR61C8[/youtube]
Old 02-23-2011, 09:43 AM
petey3

So my phoenix pro flight sim came in the mail today. And I am totally exited. I know that many of you have the same sim as well. My question is which heli in the sim is closest to the Belt CP? I have only had a little time to poke around so far. I am going to hit their website tonight to see what downloads are available.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:41 AM
petey3

Sometimes I should do some homework before asking questions. I found the cpv2 in the downloads area. Now I have to practice practice practice. At least I am not breaking blades and bending flybars.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Tinkman

So how do you like Phoenix? I've been debating between that and RealFlight.

Joaquin
Old 02-23-2011, 11:09 AM
petey3

I have realflight also and I chose phoenix. I got the beta version online and although my experiance is limited so far on it I am not seeing any bugs yet. What I like about phoenix over Realflight so far are a few things. First, I don't have to hit a reset button if I crash and I don't have to have a template handy for all the key controls. Phoenix is easier with the operation. Second thing I like is that I can use my own radio. To me the controller for Realflight doesn't feel right. I wanted to be able to use my own radio so that I could get used to operating it. Don't get me wrong Realflight is a good product. But even after an hour on Phoenix I already feel more confident. As far as the physics go I think that they are pretty equal. The flight areas in Realflight so far are more varied and better. Hope this helps. Does anyone else feel the way I do?
Old 02-23-2011, 04:09 PM
phillyD

Tink and Petey
I have both also..real flight and phoenix. along with all else petey said I find realflight more realistic with collective control in 3D; certain 3D moves are easier in phoenix...but then again both sims can be tweaked, whick I never have time for. I just mess with the wind settings, as i have the N.E trade wibnds to deal with. To me Phoenix is more difficult to fly.

Sir Tink
I would not reccommend the gears I got them today... upper Main gear for the one you linked is bigger(diameter) than the belt' and lower main gear is smaller; = reduced head speed and higher tail rotor speed, also the teeth will not reach thetail drive gear.The total height of the gears are different..

EDIT Bench assembly out of the heli Sir Tink..the bigger upper main gear prevents the lower main gear meshing with the tail drive gear by far
Old 02-23-2011, 04:42 PM
biker dude

ORIGINAL: phillyD

Tink and Petey
I have both also..real flight and phoenix. along with all else petey said I find realflight more realistic with collective control in 3D; certain 3D moves are easier in phoenix...but then again both sims can be tweaked, whick I never have time for. I just mess with the wind settings, as i have the N.E trade wibnds to deal with. To me Phoenix is more difficult to fly.

Sir Tink
I would not reccommend the gears I got them today... upper Main gear for the one you linked is bigger(diameter) than the belt' and lower main gear is smaller; = reduced head speed and higher tail rotor speed, also the teeth will not reach thetail drive gear.The total height of the gears are different..

EDIT Bench assembly out of the heli Sir Tink..the bigger upper main gear prevents the lower main gear meshing with the tail drive gear by far
I had the same problem with some gears I just purchased.

Hey Philly, Where should I go to get a DX6i Tx and RX? I may have some funds freed soon and would like to get those items and the proper gyro and servos to get my EXI heli flying.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Tinkman

Philly,
Thanks for the heads up on the gears. It's odd they don't fit. They're supposed to have the same number of teeth. I assumed they'd be the same diameter.
I did some research on the gears found in the belt. It turns out that the pinion is an involute gear and the main and tail are spur gears. Even the so called upgraded gears. I tried to duplicate the pitch and tooth count of the main gear with standard involute teethbut couldn't. They are some odd cut teeth. To get the diameter right, the tooth count had to be 147 or something like that. I'm thinking about milling a test set from aluminum to see how they work. At least that way I can control the quality and fit, and finally get a true running set of gears.
It'll be a while down the road, as I'll have to purchase a gear cutter, but when I get to it I'll let you know how it works out.
Joaquin
Old 02-23-2011, 07:13 PM
phillyD

Right on Biker
I live at a few places. Those gears i was speaking about and another experiment came from Helidirect..simply fast shipping continually..whoops sold out; you can keep lookin..I've done business here too http://helihobby.com/html/rc_helicop...ansmitter.html
http://www.ronlund.com/rcheli/RADTX.html whoops..sold out, http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM6600 manufacturer sold out. Seems they are hot items. Call Larry at helidirect and ask when they will be back in stock. or call helihobby too. That's the load
Old 02-23-2011, 07:26 PM
phillyD

Hmm Tink
Let me know when you are starting. this might be a better template..I use these http://www.helidirect.com/microheli-...elt-p-8136.hdxmaybe I can work with you by supplyinginfo or tracing a template etc. But remember something will have to give in a crash; with aluminium gear it may be the motor
Old 02-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Tinkman

Philly,
That is the gear I'm talking about. Even in the picture you can see that its just a simple spur gear, not an involutelike the pinion is. It's ironic that the"Upgrade" gearisn't any better thanstock, besides actually being round. If you look atthe profile ofone of these, youcan clearly see the difference. We're talking abouttwodifferenttypes of gears that we never meant to run togeather. Can you imagin how smooth it could run with the proper teeth on the gear?
Yes, I considered that something would give in a crash. All I can say is that it would bea give and take. For those who have few crashes, the truer running gears might be worth the risk. In a crash, the head would definately take the brunt. For me its worth a try. Maybe I'll make a set from phenolic or something just to stay on the safe side.

Joaquin
Old 02-24-2011, 06:15 AM
Disney1

The new gear design sounds great.
I did not know that the teeth were two different designs.
We always learn something new.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:14 AM
Tinkman

Yep. The teeth on the main gear were designed for an Acme threadworm gear. In the attached picture you'll be able to clearly see what I'm talking about.

Joaquin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99552.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1569100  
Old 02-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Disney1

From the image it seems to me that as the teeth mesh and un-mesh they are binding
A proper tooth designed main gear would be quiter with less friction allowing better power transfer to the blades.
It might not strip out as easily either.
I am all for buying a set.
Are you going to base it on the Microheli hub? Or mill your own?
Might be better to mill your own, no infringment that way.

Ron
Old 02-24-2011, 11:17 AM
biker dude

<-Sitting back and watching with great interest.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:48 AM
phillyD

OK Bro tinkThe plan sounds good for a try. I might want one of those gears as I have not crashed in a long time..maybe I'm not flying enough. As Disney said, thanks for the free edification on phenolics and stuff. I bout the blade 400 lower gear cnc hub. I still gotta try it to see if it will work. I've been lookin for the esky belt lower main gear upgrade for a long while, to put in my spares box

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.