Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Help choosing battery HBK3

Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

Help choosing battery HBK3

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Ronborsk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help choosing battery HBK3

Ok, so I am receiving a HBK3 in the mail with quite a few spare parts and training "wheels" tomorrow. I'm interested in what extra battery to buy: Brand, specs, and any info on what connection soldering needs to be done if any in addition to the main battery connection which I believe to be a deans plug. Thanks for your thoughts in advance. Was not sure if I needed to post this as a new thread or on the tuner thread.

Yes, I'm a newbie. Hope to take it slow and currently practicing hovering on Realflight G4.5 sim daily. Plan on doing all the set up checks and more sim practic before taking her off of the ground. Any other tidbits that folks care to give are appreciated but first question is on the battery as I'd like to have one extra. Read something about hyperion batteries but not sure which one would be ok with which specs as I did not see a 20c. I prefer a U.S. supplier and if I am not mistaken I have read that the stock e-sky batteries are weak.

Ron

Beef sale coming up, wife is gonna have a cow when she see's my new heli in the mail!
Old 01-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Disney1

Default RE: Help choosing battery HBK3

You are correct on the Esky Li-Po's being a bit of a problem.
They apearantly do not match the cells by weightbefore assembly.
The best of the many brands out ther IMHOis the Outrage Brand.
I use the NRG by Outrage a bit cheaper as it has no replacement guarentee but it is the same battery.
A Honey Bee King 2 or 3 works great on either an 11.1v 1500, 1800, or 2200mAh Li-P0 the 1800 being the best power to weight ratio
20c or greater is reccommended
Here is what I use and it is an excellent choice for the King 2/3 or Belt CP v1/2
https://www.ushobbysupply.com/product_info.php?products_id=1028
The supplier I linked to is
US Hobby Supply.com
They are based in Maryland have very fast shipping (usually next day)and excellent customer service.
Here is a link to their King-3 parts pages for you.
https://www.ushobbysupply.com/index.php?cPath=31_64
Since you are a Newbie Welcome to the Addiction
Happy Flying,
Ask all the question you would like.
We were aqll new at one time and most of us are happy to assist a newbie in becomming an Old Timer.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Ronborsk

Thanks for the fast reply. I have read some positive info on this supplier. Ordered one.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Disney1

Do you have a GOOD charger or the one that comes with the Heli?
Here is what I use.
https://www.ushobbysupply.com/produc...roducts_id=403
Also are you familiar with Li-Po limitations?
I highly reccommentd a Li-Po alarm to prevent running the Li-Po under the safe minimum volts.
https://www.ushobbysupply.com/produc...roducts_id=942
Old 01-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Ronborsk

Been a while since I've messed with my electric stuff. Have been into rc cars for years. I think I have an Onyx 230: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTCK1&P=7 that is supposed to charge lipos. It does not have a balancer. I'll have to look it up when I get home. I guess I was originally thinking that the cheapo that comes with the king 3 would charge it. I'll get back to you with details after going home.

I wasn't excited with the Onyx because it seemed a bit more complicated than my prior chargers. I am pretty sure I got this one and hope it wasn't the one below it that does not do lipos. It seems I purposely ordered the one that handled lipos in case I switched over on the cars.

Not sure about balancer or if the king 3 comes with a separate balancer. If so I wonder if it would work with the Onyx.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Ronborsk

Ok, broke down and ordered a balancer, http://www.electrifly.com/chargers/gpmm3160.html

Hopefully my initial startup costs are about over and my "spares" I ordered keep me in the air for a bit.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Disney1

The one that comes with teh king 3 will do for now as it is a balance charger. Do not use the non balanc charger.
Cool on teh matching balancer, remember not to exceed the mAh rating as the charge limit.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Ronborsk

Thanks for the help. I'll have the balancer here in a week. I'll probably spend a few days familiarizing myself with the heli and going over all of the necessary adjustments I have started reading about. In the mean time.. I'm off to realflight school this evening!